The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-27-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmarino View Post
I love the Session DI, and I have it in the effects loop of my RedEye. So, the loop from the RedEye goes to a tuner, the Session DI, a parametric EQ pedal, and then back to the RedEye, which takes the XLR to the board. All of this with a K&K Pure Mini pickup. The effect is subtle, but as others have said, noticeable when turned off.

If interested, here's video from a recent show (best w/headphones):

Oh and I should mention that your guitar sounds great.
Old 02-27-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Oh and I should mention that your guitar sounds great.
Thanks.

Here's a (blurry) pic of my pedalboard, as requested in an earlier post. You can see that my use of the effects (saturate and comp EQ) are pretty minimal, although I do sometimes boost the comp EQ more than what's there:

http://sptfy.com/94Ue
Old 02-27-2020, 12:59 PM

@ Pmarion

I'm guessing you have your chain set up that way because;

- you want the RedEye to be the first thing that your K&K hits for best signal quality

-you then want to use compression, eq, tuner, etc. in the RedEye effects loop

- you like having the boost function of the RedEye sending the above stage mix to the house should/when you need it

- you can still mute the signal chain at the Session (one of my complaints about the RedEye is the lack of a mute switch)

Sounds GREAT!
Old 02-27-2020, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
@ Pmarion

I'm guessing you have your chain set up that way because;

- you want the RedEye to be the first thing that your K&K hits for best signal quality

-you then want to use compression, eq, tuner, etc. in the RedEye effects loop

- you like having the boost function of the RedEye sending the above stage mix to the house should/when you need it

- you can still mute the signal chain at the Session (one of my complaints about the RedEye is the lack of a mute switch)

Sounds GREAT!
Pretty much spot on. I mute with the tuner, which works in the chain, but yes your listed reasons are basically what I’m after. I’ve been very happy with the tone I get with this setup.
Old 02-27-2020, 02:07 PM

Yes and he does have the Gain quite low.....probably to get the signal from getting too hot from two preamps.

Two questions for "PMarino":
1-WHy do you have your notch filter at 360? Seems like a odd choice.
2- How do you know how high to keep the outgoing "volume" knob? Is there also a volume on the Redeye?

I wish the Session DI had a pass through switch, so you could get a quick on/off comparison. It only has a mute.

Quote:
True but it's running through the effects loop in this case. It's like sticking an eq pedal in the loop. It will obviously impart some sound as you play with the eq settings but it's more of an enhancer.

A lot of people run a Session and Venue together as well. Nothing wrong with two preamps side by side. However, I will probably get the session align down the road as I do just want the effect.
Old 02-27-2020, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Two questions for "PMarino":
1-WHy do you have your notch filter at 360? Seems like a odd choice.
2- How do you know how high to keep the outgoing "volume" knob? Is there also a volume on the Redeye?
1: It’s a personal preference of mine. My ears really hate frequencies around 350 to 400. I notch out that region often when I mix and master, too.

2: The RedEye has a volume boost switch, but I don’t use it, so the Session’s volume control is what I tweak to make sound people happy, especially considering the relatively low output K&K pickup.
Old 02-27-2020, 02:52 PM

OK thanks - You really have the compression and saturation set very low.
Can you really tell the difference when you compare it with and without?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmarino View Post
1: It’s a personal preference of mine. My ears really hate frequencies around 350 to 400. I notch out that region often when I mix and master, too.

2: The RedEye has a volume boost switch, but I don’t use it, so the Session’s volume control is what I tweak to make sound people happy, especially considering the relatively low output K&K pickup.
Old 02-27-2020, 02:57 PM

Quote:
OK thanks - You really have the compression and saturation set very low.
Can you really tell the difference when you compare it with and without?
I can. A little bit helps. As I mentioned, the comp EQ is often up higher than where it is in the photo. I don’t like to push the saturation too much.
Old 02-27-2020, 05:57 PM

As far as my experience goes, I like to use the Comp. Eq. in a higher setting (1 o'clock), and the Saturation lower (about 10/11 o'clock).

I am using the Session as a DI, because I'm without the Felix. As soon as I get it, I will use the Session just as an effect. It's a subtle, but necessary effect for the perfect tone I have in my head. As I already have the DI version, I will keep it instead of getting the Align version. I just love this pedal.

2005 Martin HD28 with K&K Trinity;
2012 Cordoba C10;
Grace Design Felix 2;
Sennheiser MD441;
DPA 4099 Core;
DPA 4018L;
Bose L1 Compact;
QSC Touchmix 8;
QSC K10.2;
Neumann u87ai;
Neumann KMS105;
Neumann KM184 (matched pair).

http://www.youtube.com/rodrigopandelo
http://www.rodrigopandelo.com
http://www.instagram.com/rodrigopandelo

São Paulo/Brazil
Old 04-22-2020, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post
I owned one and used it often. It works well with the Lyric and USTs. It fattens up the mic sound quite well. I found it unnecessary with the Dazzo so I sold it.
This is useful, I use the Lyric straight into my Genz Benz amp and/or PA. Sounds clear but feels like it could do with something else. I have a Fender The Bends compression pedal for electric which is really good - and subtle - but haven't thought to try that in the chain because I don't want to squeeze the dynamics of my playing. So, I wonder, does the Session DI give that extra warmth without overly reducing the dynamics?
Old 04-23-2020, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCharlesD View Post
This is useful, I use the Lyric straight into my Genz Benz amp and/or PA. Sounds clear but feels like it could do with something else. I have a Fender The Bends compression pedal for electric which is really good - and subtle - but haven't thought to try that in the chain because I don't want to squeeze the dynamics of my playing. So, I wonder, does the Session DI give that extra warmth without overly reducing the dynamics?
I use the Session with my rare earth blend. I find it gives the Mic a thicker sound. I imagine it would have a similar positive effect on your lyric

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 04-23-2020, 08:47 AM

I feel like the session pedal is quite overpriced compared to the minor change it makes to your guitar sound. If you are going to spend $250 on a pedal, there are many others that will give you a lot more bang for your buck. The compression and saturation knobs have such a small effect, it's sometimes difficult to tell if they are even on. JMO.
Old 04-23-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
I feel like the session pedal is quite overpriced compared to the minor change it makes to your guitar sound. If you are going to spend $250 on a pedal, there are many others that will give you a lot more bang for your buck. The compression and saturation knobs have such a small effect, it's sometimes difficult to tell if they are even on. JMO.
Completely agree with regards to the Session DI. I purchased one here in Canada a couple of years ago and it was over $400.00. Yes it's a DI as well but the saturation effect itself is so subtle that I often wonder if it's even worth it to use. I personally found the compression to just make my tone more bright. The issue now is that it's a difficult pedal to sell now that there's the align version.

I do want to experiment a bit though. I would like to get rid of the DI version and get the align pedal. I found that with the Session DI, I struggled to put it into my signal chain as it often didn't play nice with other preamps. I am hoping that the align is more of just the effect.
Old 04-24-2020, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick84 View Post
I use the Session with my rare earth blend. I find it gives the Mic a thicker sound. I imagine it would have a similar positive effect on your lyric
Thanks, Nick, that's promising, it would be worth a try - but as Jack B1 has said, it's a matter of whether the change the session makes is worth spending that amount of money. It could be, and it's L R Baggs too, like the Lyric. And pmarino, your guitar sounds absolutely great.

At home, I tried going through the inexpensive Behringer AD121 pedal (very useful to keep around at its price) and initially I thought, yes that warms the sound up a little. Haven't used it at a gig, though, I figured maybe it lost a little clarity, and it's only a cheap pedal.
Old 04-24-2020, 09:54 AM

Yes I believe the Align pedal is just those 2 effects without the DI/preamp.
Its because they also sell a seperate DI pedal in this line

Quote:
Completely agree with regards to the Session DI. I purchased one here in Canada a couple of years ago and it was over $400.00. Yes it's a DI as well but the saturation effect itself is so subtle that I often wonder if it's even worth it to use. I personally found the compression to just make my tone more bright. The issue now is that it's a difficult pedal to sell now that there's the align version.

I do want to experiment a bit though. I would like to get rid of the DI version and get the align pedal. I found that with the Session DI, I struggled to put it into my signal chain as it often didn't play nice with other preamps. I am hoping that the align is more of just the effect.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification