The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-25-2020, 10:13 PM

Exactly.
I've got the Align version as well, and run it in to the Venue. It's so subtle, but like rb1591 said, it becomes essential to my ears and what I want to hear. I remember when I first got the Anthem installed in my guitar, I loved the tone, but there were some frequencies I just couldn't seem to tweak to my liking. Added the Session, and suddenly those frequencies weren't an issue. In fact, I hardly needed any eq via the Venue either.

The compression is nice and subtle, while still doing it's job of taming the attack of my heavy strumming and making my fingerpicking come through
At first I was a little hesitant about the saturation. I understand the beauty of warmth with saturation (as in tube preamp etc...), but always wanted a clean acoustic tone. But this saturation is dialed in so well, and does what they say, simply warms up and thickens the tone. I could probably make do just fine with only a Session DI, but I do love the pairing of the Align version running in to the Venue, for the benefit of any eq adjustments, the boost and tuner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb1591 View Post
I use the Align Series version (no DI) and have found that it's an effect that, although subtle, becomes essential as your ears grow accustomed to what it does. I can certainly tell a major difference when I turn it on or off.

As others have said, it fattens the overall sound and rounds off some edgy frequencies. At the same time, I've found that a little saturation goes a long way. Too much and the low end can get muddy. The comp/eq is a brilliant idea. As I understand it, it's basically a multi-frequency compressor. In other words, it dynamically compresses problem frequencies ranges ... and it works!

I've found that unless you're trying to overcome problems in a particularly bad sounding room, it can take the place of a separate eq. In many situations, a good sounding pickup system plus the Session may be all you need.
Takamine Santa Fe
Simon and Patrick Songsmith Parlor
Simon and Patrick Showcase rosewood (with LR Baggs Anthem SL)
Ovation Celebrity Limited Edition CP2001
Old 02-25-2020, 10:35 PM

OP here. Interesting that this thread has been resurrected because I've had a renewed interest in this product. Am I wrong in thinking that you should run something like a RedEye into this via an effects loop and then send that processed/compressed signal to house, or could you use this in front of a Di/Pre (in other words, if you already have a quality DI/Pre that does not have an effects loop, could you use the Session Align in front of it instead of the Session DI)? Has anyone done this with nice results?
Old 02-25-2020, 11:07 PM

I run mine (Align Session) directly into the Venue. Tried the effects loop, but preferred it going directly in.

I imagine it would sound great in front of any quality di. I could try it in front of a Radial (no eq, just a good di) and see how it sounds.
Takamine Santa Fe
Simon and Patrick Songsmith Parlor
Simon and Patrick Showcase rosewood (with LR Baggs Anthem SL)
Ovation Celebrity Limited Edition CP2001
Old 02-26-2020, 09:09 AM

For guys like me that are "EQ challenged", pedals like this are great.
Who want to be fiddling with parametric EQs during a soundcheck. I want to plug in and go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb1591 View Post
I use the Align Series version (no DI) and have found that it's an effect that, although subtle, becomes essential as your ears grow accustomed to what it does. I can certainly tell a major difference when I turn it on or off.

As others have said, it fattens the overall sound and rounds off some edgy frequencies. At the same time, I've found that a little saturation goes a long way. Too much and the low end can get muddy. The comp/eq is a brilliant idea. As I understand it, it's basically a multi-frequency compressor. In other words, it dynamically compresses problem frequencies ranges ... and it works!

I've found that unless you're trying to overcome problems in a particularly bad sounding room, it can take the place of a separate eq. In many situations, a good sounding pickup system plus the Session may be all you need.
Old 02-26-2020, 10:37 AM

Recently I acquired a Doyle Dykes Signature Godin Multiac. This guitar has an LB6 pickup and a Lyric mic blend. It also has the Session DI effect built in. When I use my own equipment, I far prefer the amplified sound of the pickup without that effect, but I’ve come to realize it is useful in certain instances.

The time when I use it is when the sound system isn’t that great and there are resonant frequency humps and problems. In those cases, dialing in a little of the Session DI saturation/compression does absolute wonders in evening out the sound and making it sound pleasant.
Old 02-26-2020, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
Recently I acquired a Doyle Dykes Signature Godin Multiac. This guitar has an LB6 pickup and a Lyric mic blend. It also has the Session DI effect built in. When I use my own equipment, I far prefer the amplified sound of the pickup without that effect, but I’ve come to realize it is useful in certain instances.

The time when I use it is when the sound system isn’t that great and there are resonant frequency humps and problems. In those cases, dialing in a little of the Session DI saturation/compression does absolute wonders in evening out the sound and making it sound pleasant.
I would love to have this system available for for sale as it has everything I would onboard. That said, my Baggs Dual Source/LB6 into an Align Session and then a Venue works just fine.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 02-26-2020, 10:48 AM

The Session DI effect is very subtle. I don't think I would ever call it a game changer. There are times where I question whether or not having it in my chain is really all that worth it. It's nice, I had just expected a bit more of a "wow" reaction when I first tried it. The other side of it is that although the saturation adds some nice warmth, I do wonder if it sometimes contributes to a bit of a muddy tone when I dig in.
Old 02-27-2020, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
OP here. Interesting that this thread has been resurrected because I've had a renewed interest in this product. Am I wrong in thinking that you should run something like a RedEye into this via an effects loop and then send that processed/compressed signal to house, or could you use this in front of a Di/Pre (in other words, if you already have a quality DI/Pre that does not have an effects loop, could you use the Session Align in front of it instead of the Session DI)? Has anyone done this with nice results?
I love the Session DI, and I have it in the effects loop of my RedEye. So, the loop from the RedEye goes to a tuner, the Session DI, a parametric EQ pedal, and then back to the RedEye, which takes the XLR to the board. All of this with a K&K Pure Mini pickup. The effect is subtle, but as others have said, noticeable when turned off.

If interested, here's video from a recent show (best w/headphones):

http://sptfy.com/94Ue
Old 02-27-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmarino View Post
I love the Session DI, and I have it in the effects loop of my RedEye. So, the loop from the RedEye goes to a tuner, the Session DI, a parametric EQ pedal, and then back to the RedEye, which takes the XLR to the board. All of this with a K&K Pure Mini pickup. The effect is subtle, but as others have said, noticeable when turned off.

Good to know that it works in the effects loop. I find the effect so subtle that when I tried it in the loop of my Felix, I had a hard time telling if it was doing anything.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:36 AM

Default What he said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
The Session DI effect is very subtle. I don't think I would ever call it a game changer. There are times where I question whether or not having it in my chain is really all that worth it. It's nice, I had just expected a bit more of a "wow" reaction when I first tried it. The other side of it is that although the saturation adds some nice warmth, I do wonder if it sometimes contributes to a bit of a muddy tone when I dig in.
I have found this to be true as well, but... every time I take the Session DI out of the chain, I feel like something is missing and end up putting it back. I've also found that changing the low filter (side switch) depending on the guitar I'm using, gives me the best sound and helps eliminate the muddiness when playing hard. YMMV of course.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:36 AM

Why the redeye AND the session DI? Isn't that 2 preamps?

BTW your guitar is very nice in that video

Quote:

Old 02-27-2020, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Why the redeye AND the session DI? Isn't that 2 preamps?

BTW your guitar is very nice in that video
Obviously pmarino can answer this but it sounds as though he is using the session as more of an effect than an additional preamp. That's how I was using it as well.
Old 02-27-2020, 11:48 AM

How can you NOT use the preamp section of the Session? There's no way to disengage it. Unless he leaves the gain level way down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Obviously pmarino can answer this but it sounds as though he is using the session as more of an effect than an additional preamp. That's how I was using it as well.
Old 02-27-2020, 11:49 AM

Can we see a pic of your pedal board?

Quote:

Old 02-27-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
How can you NOT use the preamp section of the Session? There's no way to disengage it. Unless he leaves the gain level way down?
True but it's running through the effects loop in this case. It's like sticking an eq pedal in the loop. It will obviously impart some sound as you play with the eq settings but it's more of an enhancer.

A lot of people run a Session and Venue together as well. Nothing wrong with two preamps side by side. However, I will probably get the session align down the road as I do just want the effect.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification