The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-03-2011, 12:16 PM

When I was searching for an Alvarez dealer a couple years ago I had a conversation w/ one guy that was mainly an internet store and he said at that time some of the people that had been w/ St. Louis Music and Alvarez for years were trying to buy the Alvarez/Yairi line away from Loud Tech. and form their own co. Of course, at that time, the economy was at the bottom and the banks were not lending money to anyone, (and still aren't), so I'm sure that it would be difficult to do unless you had some backing from another guitar manufacturer or a rich uncle. It is hard to know if he was telling the truth or just blowing smoke, but he said the same thing everybody here is saying and that is Alvarez makes great guitars, the people that he deals with there are top notch and it would be a shame if they went under.

1990 Yairi DY-77
2009 Taylor 414ce ltd. Taz Black
Old 08-03-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architype View Post
It is hard to know if he was telling the truth or just blowing smoke, but he said the same thing everybody here is saying and that is Alvarez makes great guitars, the people that he deals with there are top notch and it would be a shame if they went under.
Well, as I was guessing and as Sneaky in Japan has confirmed, Alvarez-Yairi itself is not in danger of going under, not at this point. The problem with getting the guitars to North America has to do with currency exchange rates - given the strong yen, it simply isn't profitable to import them right now. Perhaps that will change.

But the company itself is still performing strongly on the Japanese domestic market.

whm
Old 08-03-2011, 03:36 PM

More research . . .

Loud bought St. Louis Music in 2005 for $37 million and managed them through their own headquarters in Washington State. In 2008, US Band and Orchestra Supply bought St. Louis Music back from Loud, including the with Austin Guitar line, and moved the SLM headquarters back to St Louis.

From the current St. Louis Music/US Band website:

"Our company is the corporate owner of Knilling String Instruments, Austin Guitars, Perfection Planetary Pegs, Zonda Reeds, Cargo bags & cases, and SLM music accessories, as well as being the exclusive distributor in the U.S..A. of Alvarez and Alvarez-Yairi guitars."

and . . .

"The Alavrez guitar shop is in our building in St. Louis and has been for decades. Jerry Proctor and his team have nurtured the line and dedicated their working lives to perfecting the acoustic guitar. Every instrument they lay there (sic) hands on looks and plays beautifully and comes with a lifetime warranty.

We are extremely proud to be the exclusive distributor of Alvarez-Yairi in the U.S.A. and there are lots of exciting product development programs currently in action, so watch this space for all the latest Alvarez news."

The two local dealers who once sold Alvarez now sell Austin, owned by SLM. I see a migration route there. Maybe Alvarez will find its way back completely.

Last edited by Big.Al; 08-03-2011 at 07:55 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:09 PM

It sounds like between the value of the yen and a corporate shake up that A/Y has had a perfect storm for poor distribution and sales. I certainly hope they can get the co. back on it's feet and show a little more visibility in the market.

1990 Yairi DT-77
2009 Taylor 414ce Taz Black
Old 08-03-2011, 06:23 PM

Many companies are struggling these days in Japan, as they said on the news last night, the powerful yen is not an indication of a booming economy...has more to do with the weak greenback. Read last week in the paper that Nissan will open two new factories...outside Japan but in Asia, kinda reminds me of the mass manufacturing evacuation to Mexico years ago with NAFTA...and one older student I have remarked one day that he was saddened to see that Japan is losing it`s drive to innovate in fields it used to, too much outsourcing for his liking...but the days of lifetime employment, like he enjoyed as a young man, are all but over in Japan...the rising sun is undergoing huge transformations right now and theres no telling just what effect that will have on the future...maybe they`ll just build armies of ASIMOs.
There are lots of A/Ys hanging in shops but I`m not sure how many are being sold right now, up here in the area where the tidal wave hit, folks have other priorities in their lives at the moment. My wife and I also collect Japanese antiques and theres no telling how many were swept away in the disasters so we`re buying up what we see that appeals to us, they ain`t making em anymore.
Back to Yairis for a sec...the nylon strings I have date from 1961 to 1971, and I wouldn`t trae for anything right now. Nagoya seems to have been a hot bed for guitar manufacturing at one time, I own quite a few that were made there.
A couple of branches of the national chain pawn type shops I used to frequent got hit very hard in the tsunami...last time I looked through the holes in the walls where windows used to be I saw guitar cases strewn all around the interior...and a car had been dumped in the middle of the floor...so it didn`t look to me like they were going to be ready to reopen any time soon...it`s anybody`s guess how many guitars vanished or were damaged beyond repair.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:41 PM

A couple of branches of the national chain pawn type shops I used to frequent got hit very hard in the tsunami...last time I looked through the holes in the walls where windows used to be I saw guitar cases strewn all around the interior...and a car had been dumped in the middle of the floor...so it didn`t look to me like they were going to be ready to reopen any time soon...it`s anybody`s guess how many guitars vanished or were damaged beyond repair.[/QUOTE]

The photographs and videos form the Tsunami were absolutely unbelievable. Whenever I see scenes like that it is almost like watching a hollywood movie except the true horror is that it is real. I hope you and your family found safety during the worst of it. I know the effect of such a tragedy will be felt for the rest of your lives.
Are the relief efforts going well? We don't hear much it anymore about in our voracious ethnocentric corporate media.

1990 Yairi DY-77
Old 08-04-2011, 03:11 AM

Yes, we were far enough away from the tsunami not to be affected by it...my sister in laws parents got away with their lives, but thats all...they lost everything, however they`re still alive and get to have sleepovers with their grand daughters so they feel fortunate compared to so many who lost much more. The quake has left it`s mark on me though...we`ve been having quite a few over the past 3 weeks or so and every time one strikes I can`t help but wonder if this is another big one...my nerves are fried.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:37 AM

I got curious and emailed St. Louis Music about the apparent demise of the Alvarez brand. I am a little more optimistic now. Here is the reply I got:

"Hi Al! Let me end the confusion....it's all St Louis Music again! We're once again the exclusive distributor of Alvarez guitars...it's all back in the same building that ALL of your other Alvarez came from.

LOUD was running the brand up until the beginning of last year. We gained control of the brand again in January. We are rebuilding the brand, the whole line and the dealer base. You'll begin seeing dealers like it used to be.

Al, do not hesitate to contact me if you need anything. Thank you so much for caring enough to send us a note.

Here's the new catalog : http://www.stlouismusic.com/alvarez/...11Brochure.pdf

Collect 'em all!

Rich

Rich Dumstorff
US Band/St.Louis Music"
Old 08-20-2011, 09:56 AM

Thanks, Big Al. It is good to know that Alvarez/Yairi is back in the hands of people that care about the brand. I look forward to seeing them back in the stores. Maybe I'll have to get another one for the collection.

1990 Yairi DY-77
Old 08-20-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw999 View Post
I bought an Alvarez MD80 a few years ago. Great guitar. Deep lows with very crisp highs. It is just a beautiful guitar. I also bought a 1988 Alvarez Yairi DY53 a few weeks ago - a sitka top, pecan back/sides European jumbo. Wow! Almost as much bottom end as my MD80. Where it really shines is the midrange. It has the most amazing sustain. I can't speak to the lower range newer Alvarez, but my MD80 is a gem.
One of the best guitars I've owned was an MD80. They were liquidated a couple of years ago at crazy prices. Even after paying the eBay middleman the price was ridiculous---$350. Very, very good projection on this guitar; a fabulous strummer.

Since then I see almost no Alvarez's on Craigslist. It's like the company has packed up and left.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:02 PM

A little of subject, but I recently picked up a 70's 5920 which is a HD28 copy. It is not joke! Its all solid EIR sitka top, herringbone purf/rosette. Its as light or lighter than my previous SCGC was and sounds great! I have to wonder if Yari didn't have his hand in these. Its beat up and has lots of mojo. But it sounds really good! I never thought anything Japanese could sound like this. It sounds better than any D28/HD28 I've had.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:55 PM

Well, the Japanese have been building great guitars for a long time...evidently they exported a lot of junk in the past, like when I was a kid...but that doesn`t mean they couldn`t or didn`t build top end stuff, they sure did and still do. No surprise they took to guitars as well as they did since they`d been working wood and making stringed instruments for centuries before the Gibsons, Martins or Fenders of the world.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion