The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-25-2020, 11:48 AM

Default The Book or the Movie?

What do you prefer - a good movie or a good book? Another twist, if you saw the movie first would you still read the book?

I read all 7 Odd Thomas books by Dean Koontz over the past year+. Great series! I watched the movie of the first book yesterday. I enjoyed the movie - it was very good but not great. It felt rushed compared to the book.

Shocker for me... the movie was identical to the book. Nothing was different, not a plot twist or a change to the ending. Usually the movie changes things to keep it fresh.

How about you?
Old 10-25-2020, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

The book... any day of the week and twice on Sundays.
Old 10-25-2020, 01:17 PM

Audio book.
Old 10-25-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
The book... any day of the week and twice on Sundays.
While I’ve most often found the book version to be superior to the film version, there are definitely surprises when the reverse feels true. I think David Fincher‘s version of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo was far superior to the book. The movie Let The Right One In was likewise superior to the book. Ted Chiang’s novella Arrival was interesting, but Denis Villeneuve’s movie starring Amy Adams was pretty sublime and really elevated the material. And Ted Chiang’s no slouch. His fiction is pretty incredible but Arrival the movie stayed in my head for a long time.

Last edited by bfm612; 10-25-2020 at 10:12 PM.
Old 10-25-2020, 02:14 PM

I'd have to say the book, but I haven't been to the cinema since 2012 so I'm not exactly a movie buff. I do enjoy other forms of media - film, tv, games etc - but none are as engaging as a good book.
Old 10-25-2020, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

The book. I have trouble sitting still for a movie. With a book you can move the action in your mind as fast or as slow as you want to go. And you can imagine your version of the story, not someone else’s.
Old 10-25-2020, 02:32 PM

The book. Very few movies compare well with the book. "To Kill a Mockingbird" might be one. Can't think of many more.
Old 10-25-2020, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
What do you prefer - a good movie or a good book? Another twist, if you saw the movie first would you still read the book?

I read all 7 Odd Thomas books by Dean Koontz over the past year+. Great series! I watched the movie of the first book yesterday. I enjoyed the movie - it was very good but not great. It felt rushed compared to the book.

Shocker for me... the movie was identical to the book. Nothing was different, not a plot twist or a change to the ending. Usually the movie changes things to keep it fresh.

How about you?
Perhaps contrary to common practice in the case of both , I prefer to see the movie first. Simply because I am seldom disappointed in the book after the movie, but as often as not I am disappointed in the movie after the book .
For example I am now reading "Game Of Thrones" after watching the entire series on CD from Netflix .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 10-25-2020 at 03:02 PM.
Old 10-25-2020, 02:55 PM

Almost always the book. I really don’t watch many movies but I’m a voracious reader.
Old 10-25-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkristians View Post
The book. Very few movies compare well with the book. "To Kill a Mockingbird" might be one. Can't think of many more.
"The Godfather" and "Jaws" are a couple more.
Old 10-25-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Perhaps contrary to common practice in the case of both , I prefer to see the movie first. Simply because I am seldom disappointed in the book after the movie, but as often as not I am disappointed in the movie after the book .
For example I am now reading "Game Of Thrones" after watching the entire series on CD from Netflix .
I'm currently reading the Game of Thrones books. I enjoy them but they are taking me FOREVER.
Old 10-25-2020, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
I'm currently reading the Game of Thrones books. I enjoy them but they are taking me FOREVER.
Me too.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 10-25-2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
Audio book.
Thumbs up - I didn't think about the audio book. I've never listened to one but for long drives I'd be up for one. Gotta have a great voice to listen to though.
Old 10-25-2020, 04:23 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Almost always the book. Exception: I ran out and grabbed the book behind Tom Hanks' Greyhound movie, The Good Shepherd by C.S. Forrester. I think I liked the Greyhound movie better. There were maudlin details in the book that didn't drive the plot as quickly along as the movie was driven.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-25-2020, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfm612 View Post
While I’ve most often found the book version to be superior to the film version, there are definitely surprises when the reverse feels true. I think David Fincher‘s version of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo was far superior to the book. The movie Let The Right One In was likewise superior to the book. Ted Chiang’s novella Arrival was interesting, but Denis Villeneuve’s movie starring Amy Adams was pretty sublime and really elevated the material. And Ted Chiang’s no slouch. His fiction is pretty incredible but Arrival the movie stayed in my heads for a long time.
I saw the original Swedish movie before I read the book and I thought 'Let The Right One In' was an exceptional film however there were little details in the book that I missed in the movie.

The US made movie version 'Let Me In' was also very good but skipped over the 'gender related' scene.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic