The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-24-2020, 06:00 AM
Charter Member

Default American Song Writer Contest

Hi Everyone,

Are you familiar with the "American Songwriter" publication? Apparently they hold an annual song writing contest. I am considering entering a song.

In order to get a sense of the type of song that these people favor, I was searching for a past winning song but can't seem to find one.

Please pass along any information that you have about the publication or the contest.

Here is a link.

https://americansongwriter.com/contests-new/
Old 10-24-2020, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

I would also be interested in hearing the past winners. To a person that studies song writing it's all about the basic song. Most music is marketed buy it's sound. I can't imagine what criteria they use to judge a winner.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 04-13-2022, 08:51 AM

This is a 2 year old thread, but I stumbled on the site earlier today and was tempted to enter their Lyric contest. Just curious if this idea has any merit at all and if anyone here has tried it? Thx.

Last edited by jpmist; 04-13-2022 at 08:57 AM.
Old 04-13-2022, 10:01 AM

Don't know about this particular song contest but it it's one of those that require a fee to enter, I've always figured they were just a scam.
Old 04-18-2022, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

They get something like 8,000 entries. Do you really expect to make it in the top 5?
Old 04-18-2022, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzereh View Post
Don't know about this particular song contest but it it's one of those that require a fee to enter, I've always figured they were just a scam.
Not necessarily, although your chances for a return on your "investment" might be small. A friend of mine entered the John Lennon Songwriting Contest last year. Not only did she win the first rounds and receive a bunch of gear including an Epiphone Masterbuilt guitar, but actually won the whole shebang--song of the year--and a cash prize in 5 figures. So, not a scam.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write