The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-18-2020, 05:55 PM
Guest 928

Default Double top?

The notion of a double guitar top is counter-intuitive to my ancient notion of guitar tops; it seems to me the doubling the top would mute the sound. Explanations would be appreciated......................
Old 10-19-2020, 04:53 AM

This should help you.

https://www.classicguitar.com/the-or...le-top-guitar/

Cincy
Old 10-19-2020, 05:23 AM

Two thin layers of CF separated by light weight spacer. All RainSongs are double top guitars. It is a way to retain most of the strength of all CF at a fraction of the weight.

This is also done with wood for classical guitars as the above reference points out.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 10-19-2020, 10:34 AM

It is all about strength-to-weight ratios. In crude terms, a sheet of plywood is far stronger than a similar thickness of just wood. As someone who studied karate for years, breaking a 1" pine board is fairly staightforward. But I would not try it with even a 1/2" sheet of plywood - that would shatter my fist long before the board gave way.

Two thin layers of wood supported by a layer of Nomex or Kevlar would be both light and strong and would have uniquely targeted vibration properties. For example, Greg Smallman of Australia has built incredible classical guitars with highly responsive double tops for many years, and the last I looked his prices start at $35K - if you can even get on the build list. That is *way* different than a "plywood" guitar from an Asian factory that sells for $150.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:21 AM
Guest 928

Cincy;

Thank you for the informative article.

In counting a double top as a composite then a carbon fiber guitar could be double topped with wood and still be considered a composite instrument.

The same might be true with the Canna guitar--it has wooden pieces/parts but the body and top are composite.

Interesting stuff.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber