The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-29-2020, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
The longer I am in the business the less I am impressed by strong opinions and vitriol.

Bob
Talking about gear and recordings or politics?

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 09-29-2020, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

Not to dissuade from the hunt for a MK84 equivalent, but really, if you're recording with a single AT2020, I'd suggest that there are lots of easy steps up from that. The 2020 is an under-appreciated mic, and frankly, you wouldn't do badly to just get a 2nd one. Listen to the tracks Wrighty has posted here, done with a pair of 2020s. You can make very good recordings with them. It's more about mic placement and room acoustics than finding a specific mic. If there was a single magic mic that made everyone sound good, we'd all just own it.

There are hundreds of mics that are used all the time to make the recordings you listen to. AT makes very good value mics. You could upgrade with a pair of 4033s, they've been used on all kinds of acoustic guitar recordings. For a little higher budget, the 4050's are excellent. The KM184's are great mics, regardless of what the internet seems to think, and they're used on tons of acoustic guitar recordings. Listen to the post Eric Skye made a few days ago. I'm sure any of the mics people have suggested in this thread would work well for you.
Old 09-29-2020, 07:00 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Talking about gear and recordings or politics?
Recording gear. It's just crazy to see how absolutely convinced some people are of the black and white utter virtue or inferiority of any particular mic. I thank God we've got such a wide array of possibilities before us. Any one of several options is capable of an excellent recording in the right hands and many haven't even been mentioned in this discussion.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 09-29-2020, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Recording gear. It's just crazy to see how absolutely convinced some people are of the black and white utter virtue or inferiority of any particular mic. I thank God we've got such a wide array of possibilities before us. Any one of several options is capable of an excellent recording in the right hands and many haven't even been mentioned in this discussion.

Bob
Remember when I posted how good of a bargain the MXL Revelation was a few years back? Well I have had a lot of people tell me they would never use a cheap MXL mic. I just pointed them to your review. And you know what's cool, MXL didn't call it the M47 of the M251 to market it, they just said it was a good large diaphragm condenser, a REVELATION.
Old 09-29-2020, 07:36 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
If there was a single magic mic that made everyone sound good, we'd all just own it.
Wait, what?!?! No "magic mic"?!?! How am I going to make a decent recording then? Sigh.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

Default The "Magic" is found as we individually hear mic's & gear. No Standard Magic

Aloha J-Doug,

Mic's & other gear don't become "Magic" until they are discontinued, like the KM-84 (in 1992!!!!). That's the running joke at gear discussion sites.

But the magic is in the ears of the individual beholder. That's why we must hear da gear before we buy.

It's human nature to build those myths around the unavailable. Laugh at it! And try 'em all, even the $100 AT2020 has plenty of quality for many player/recordists' ears. Some mic's might even sound close to the "legendary" KM-84.

LOL!

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 09-29-2020 at 08:34 PM.
Old 09-30-2020, 05:49 AM

As I said, I don't have access to all those cool mics from here, in Brazil. I just bought myself one (not a pair) Neumann KM184. I think I can't go wrong with it. Even if it is indeed a little harsh, I can smooth it out with a little EQ, and my Martin sound already big and lush. I will pair the Neumann with my AT2035 for a bigger stereo acoustic sound when I record. I guess the result will be really nice. And live, I will take the Neumann to complement the sound of the Dazzo Pickup. I don't have it here yet... I just bought it from Teddy, too. That's the bad side of living in Brazil: everything takes months to get here. Now I just have to wait.

Thank everyone who helped me in this quest!

2005 Martin HD28 with K&K Trinity;
2012 Cordoba C10;
Grace Design Felix 2;
Sennheiser MD441;
DPA 4099 Core;
DPA 4018L;
Bose L1 Compact;
QSC Touchmix 8;
QSC K10.2;
Neumann u87ai;
Neumann KMS105;
Neumann KM184 (matched pair).

http://www.youtube.com/rodrigopandelo
http://www.rodrigopandelo.com
http://www.instagram.com/rodrigopandelo

São Paulo/Brazil
Old 09-30-2020, 09:30 AM

I wound up getting too busy to record last night, but I did go to my studio and pick up my KM184 set and my KMS105 and I started writing a little lick to record at home. My girlfriend was sleeping, so I couldn't really finish up what I was doing. But I got a nice little germ of an idea that I can finish up Thursday as I've got a road trip today. I will post it up Thursday night. I'm going to write a whole song with vocals and some electric fills and use the KM184 for every track just to dispel the notion of it's harshness.
Old 09-30-2020, 12:36 PM

Just to stir the pot a bit ... maybe these have been mentioned, but the Beesneez Lulu is a really great mic. I have a pair and they are awesome. Warm low end with a bit clarity on the top end. Prices for those are all over the place, though. Some places they are $900 some they are $450.
And please, don't buy Rode NT5s. They are awful on acoustic guitars. Not flattering.
'50's Gibson LG-1
lukegardmusic.com
Old 09-30-2020, 01:22 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukegard22 View Post
Just to stir the pot a bit ... maybe these have been mentioned, but the Beesneez Lulu is a really great mic. I have a pair and they are awesome. .
I used a pair of those to make my Different Kind Of Blue album.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

There was a pair of KM 84's here for sale locally in Portland, and I can't say I wasn't tempted. But I managed to restrain myself.

Like someone else mentioned the Oktava MK-012 has been favorably compared. I think the newest ones from Oktava might have some upgrades, but don't quote me on that.

You could maybe check out the Beyerdynamic MC 930. $1000 brand new for a pair. Order them from a retailer with the option to return them if they are not for you.

Here is me recording with a pair of real deal KM 84's at a studio here in Portland, Oregon. Nice space and cool mics, but in the end I still sounded pretty much like I always do.

Old 10-03-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton View Post
There was a pair of KM 84's here for sale locally in Portland, and I can't say I wasn't tempted. But I managed to restrain myself.

Like someone else mentioned the Oktava MK-012 has been favorably compared. I think the newest ones from Oktava might have some upgrades, but don't quote me on that.

You could maybe check out the Beyerdynamic MC 930. $1000 brand new for a pair. Order them from a retailer with the option to return them if they are not for you.

Here is me recording with a pair of real deal KM 84's at a studio here in Portland, Oregon. Nice space and cool mics, but in the end I still sounded pretty much like I always do.

I went for a listen, but this is just a picture - is there a video?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 10-05-2020, 10:54 PM
Charter Member

Ah yea I should have posted a link. Track 2 on our album, Flowers of Red Hill, used the KM 84's on the first solo guitar piece, O'Carolan's Welcome.

https://dramandgo.bandcamp.com/releases
Old 10-06-2020, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

Default Anton - Your Music is Great!

Aloha Anton,

Yes, it is nice to hear you play through that "old-friend" KM-84 once again.

But the big story here is how good your playing, expression & music have become. Solo or ensemble - you're killin' it man.

You play well-known Celtic favorites, but...your ability at expression is making them Anton's own. Bravo, my friend.

alohachris
Old 10-18-2020, 07:11 AM

I was looking for over a decade for a good alternative to KM84s, specifically for acoustic guitar recording, but I never found one. I tried most of the usual suspects. So I ended up buying a pair of KM84s a few years ago. TBH, I haven't looked back since, they really were worth it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD