The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-12-2020, 04:07 PM

Default P&W - What Would You Do?

I play worship at church. Lately with COVID we've had to rethink and reconfigure what we do. We've reduced the worship teams to 2-3 people and, for us, it's a couple of acoustic guitars and a bass now. Since another person is playing only rhythm, I'm covering a little rhythm (when needed for volume) and mostly fills and a lead or two if needed. As a result, I'm using a pedalboard to create a bit of space and ambience and texture. The board is Tuner > Red Eye > EHX Oceans 11 (reverb/shimmer) > MXR Carbon Copy > LR Baggs Session (DI/Comp). I was thinking about another modulation pedal to change the texture periodically, I have a couple of pedals laying around:
- MXR Phase 90
- Suhr Jack Rabbit (Tremelo)

Or, should I get a chorus pedal or something else. Not looking to break the bank as I don't think it would be used often but it should be a pedal that can be used more than once in a set because it provide some versatility. Or, maybe I don't need anything more.

What would you suggest? You're help and experience is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-12-2020, 04:33 PM

First of all, let me say I hope things return to closer to normal soon for you. We are returning to live worship (with social distancing and masks) in the sanctuary tomorrow for the first time in 6 months and we are excited!

For texture I rely on a TC Electronics Corona Chorus (I'm not making this up). It does the classic chorus voice warble, and I can get almost kind of an organ kind of sound with single coils. It also does the modern tri-chorus and of course, there's toneprints available to load. I found a real subtle one I like called "clean chorus".

Another great pedal for worship is the Strymon El Capistan, but that of course definitely falls into the "break the bank" category.
Old 09-12-2020, 04:38 PM

Thanks for the quick feedback and, yes, hoping things will return back to normal or adjusting to a new normal. I've heard good things about the TC Corona so I'll check it out on Youtube. Yeah, love the Strymon pedals but that is a bit above my budget especially for a pedal that isn't an "always on" or nearly "always on" pedal. Have a great weekend. Enjoy tomorrow.
Old 09-12-2020, 05:35 PM

How about playing in different voicing. I.e. if the other person plays open C, use a capo at 5 and play in G. If they're in open D, capo 7 (if you can) and play in G.

As for modulation, do you use the mod switch in the carbon copy? That adds a little chorus.
Old 09-12-2020, 05:40 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I do play in different voicing from the rhythm guitar player so got that covered. I do not use the mod switch on the Carbon Copy so will give that a try. I'm just getting this all together so I do need to experiment a bit with what I have but wanted to see if there are other ideas out there to provide some additional options so to keep the trio from sounding monotonous. Thanks.
Old 09-12-2020, 06:25 PM

For playing lead and single-note runs, the chorus would be the next step.

Phase and tremelo tend to sound way better on electric than acoustic, in my experience. Plus, these two effects seem to sound the best when set significantly north of 'subtle.'

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 09-12-2020, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

I’d stay with what you’ve got and concentrate on the job at hand.

No-one in the congregation is going to notice, nor are they listening.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 09-12-2020, 07:10 PM

Have you ever used a short cut capo? That can add a different sound without breaking the bank.
Old 09-12-2020, 08:13 PM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and advice. Really appreciate it. Gives me some great options to consider.
Old 09-14-2020, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Have you ever used a short cut capo? That can add a different sound without breaking the bank.
+1 on the advice about capo and/or higher voicing. Another good option is to high string your guitar - use the high pitch of the 12 string guitar.

I've also seen folks have a good experience using the acoustic for ambient tones with a strymon style reverb pedal.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 09-15-2020, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cm3ohana View Post
…should I get a chorus pedal or something else. Not looking to break the bank as I don't think it would be used often but it should be a pedal that can be used more than once in a set because it provide some versatility. Or, maybe I don't need anything more.

What would you suggest? You're help and experience is greatly appreciated.
Hi Cm3-etc

I'd consider a tremolo pedal since you are backfilling behind the rhythm player by being more 'atmospheric' against their rhythmic play.

For me, as a long-time worship guitarist, I'm not supposed to be the focus of the music. The lyrics are intended to be the focus. I'm not implying we worship guitarists should not be heard, just we should supplement, never play hot licks over the lyrics, and never play out of character with the music.

If it's for a 3-5 song service, I really don't need more than about 3-4 voicings per song. I can survive in a backing role with fills and leads with 5 good tones for the entire service (it's ok to me to use only 5 solid signature tones).

My categories are:
A really clean tone - one mellow and one bright
A slight overdrive which turns into solid fat distortion with added volume
A tone I call Whale-Song (high ethereal sustained tone)
A chorus - fast and slow (if not adjustable)
A tremolo - adjustable speed

My kit actually has 11 ''voices'' in it, but I rarely need/use more than 5 per service. I'm after tasty sounds not flashy or painful ones.

Hope this adds to the discussion…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 09-15-2020 at 04:14 PM. Reason: changed some wording
Old 09-15-2020, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
I’d stay with what you’ve got and concentrate on the job at hand.

No-one in the congregation is going to notice, nor are they listening.
This has been my experience as well so relax and worship in a manner that edifies you.

I often play bass for P & W and after years of doing so have yet to hear anything about my playing. No comments at all. Zip.

Now it's possible they don't like what I'm playing but my experience tells me that most listeners are more attuned to the absence of bass than the presence.
Old 09-15-2020, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
This has been my experience as well so relax and worship in a manner that edifies you.

I often play bass for P & W and after years of doing so have yet to hear anything about my playing. No comments at all. Zip.

Now it's possible they don't like what I'm playing but my experience tells me that most listeners are more attuned to the absence of bass than the presence.
Exactly the point I was trying to make. No-one is there to watch *you* - you're merely a member of the supporting cast. Don't be a distraction.

Although, I do have some favourite moments - for many years my primary instrument in our P&W band was a Variax guitar. No-one ever noticed as I switched it between Teles, Strats, Les Pauls and various acoustic emulations - but turning to the banjo patch always caused some puzzled looks
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification