The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-30-2022, 03:40 PM

I'd go for Michel Aboudib. He's about to start his stint as the next Somogyi apprentice, base price is 6500 for the time being, but he's already building fabulous instruments that sound unique. Wait list is already a year, it's gonna get longer, and prices will go up....
Old 06-30-2022, 03:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
FYI, Mark Hatcher and I both attended Ervin’s voicing class, although not at the same time.
Thanks for the mention Tim, that was nice of you! I believe you attended a year or two before me. I attended the class with Tom Doerr.

I believe Rebecca Urlacher may have attended Ervin's class as well. I know she has a modern dreadnought too.

Mark

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright
Old 06-30-2022, 05:49 PM

I presume that you've played modified Ds with Somogyi bracing/voicing. If not, I encourage you to do so before making this guitar purchase leap. Not my cup of, well, acoustic guitar tone.
Old 06-30-2022, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

This…. I am a coffee drinker as well…

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
I presume that you've played modified Ds with Somogyi bracing/voicing. If not, I encourage you to do so before making this guitar purchase leap. Not my cup of, well, acoustic guitar tone.
Old 07-01-2022, 09:54 AM

Quote:
jt1 thank you, that is really "sound" advice. I love what I hear on quality recordings, and I read Somogyi's books. You are right, I need to play some but that is not easy to do. They are rare and sell very quickly. I have been planning to go to one of the high-end guitar shows but keep getting Covid-blocked. I should probably cool my jets until I can get to one of these. Of course, the major down side is that I might become so enamored that I decide I need an actual Somogyi more than a car...
Old 07-01-2022, 02:29 PM

I own an Aboudib OM and have a 7 string mod D on order. The OM is a fun guitar. I'll be the first to admit that I don't have any experience with an actual Somogyi.
Old 07-01-2022, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckmurf View Post
jt1 thank you, that is really "sound" advice. I love what I hear on quality recordings, and I read Somogyi's books. You are right, I need to play some but that is not easy to do. They are rare and sell very quickly. I have been planning to go to one of the high-end guitar shows but keep getting Covid-blocked. I should probably cool my jets until I can get to one of these. Of course, the major down side is that I might become so enamored that I decide I need an actual Somogyi more than a car...
Makes sense to me, of course! And you may, like others, discover that the Somogyi voiced mod-D is your dream guitar. If so, great (unless you need a new car ). And, you may find that like me and Mr. fancy chord progression, it's not. Great, too.

My favorite guitar show, The Woodstock Show, approaches. As always, it will offer a wide variety of guitar builders. If you can fit the show into your schedule, I recommend it highly.

I look forward to following your journey.
Old 07-01-2022, 02:39 PM

I own a Kostal MD. Love it. Check out Bigfoot Guitars out of India. Karan is a monstrously gifted luthier, and refined his craft with Jason Kostal. His also a wood wizard, and comes up with the most amazing figures with unheard of woods…
Old 07-01-2022, 07:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckmurf View Post
...Of course, the major down side is that I might become so enamored that I decide I need an actual Somogyi more than a car...
It can happen! I've happily owned guitars that were worth more than my old-but-well-cared-for car. If you by a used car that is well-built you can indulge your guitar needs!

But paraphrasing what has been said above about mod Ds: try before you buy. If you are contemplating a custom build, please try out other guitars by that builder before you commit. They may make mod Ds that other players rave about but that does not mean it will be the best guitar for you.
Old 07-01-2022, 08:34 PM

Quote:
I wholeheartedly agree with this.

Each of the Somogyi apprentices also applies their knowledge and time from Ervin's shop very differently. Some try to copy it in very large part (such as Gaffney) while others apply it to their own particular voicing (such as Buendia), so it really runs the gamut in terms of what you get. Even those who build their own style have their own tonal profiles. My ear leans Kostal/Buendia, but I haven't owned any Somogyi style guitars yet as I've so far leaned toward a different tone in what I play.
Old 07-01-2022, 08:59 PM

It's really good advice to try before you buy. The somogyi Mod D has its own tonal profile which you may or may not like. Also to provide another perspective to jt1's post, I love the mod d tone but I also really like the tone of more traditionally toned luthier made guitars like Kim Walker and Franklin guitars. So you could find that you like the somogyi tone and also the tone of other different but similarly sized guitars.

To complicate matters, Somogyi's tone apparently experienced changes over the very long period of time (for a boutique guitar) that somogyi has been making the mod d, corresponding also to the different apprentices who have helped him build it and the experimentation and tonal changes that somogyi himself made to his design. I have owned a 2001 Somogyi euro spruce and brazilian rosewood mod dreadnought that was made by somogyi with his then apprentice michi matsuda, who has gone on to become one of the most innovative and creative luthiers in the world in his own right. It was a spectacular guitar tonally when I owned it, and had the 2nd most profound and deep yet supple bass that i have ever heard from a guitar while also having trebles and mids that could stand up to the bass (the best bass ever by a fraction that i have ever heard from a guitar was from a Kim walker jumbo) It was also the most responsive guitar I have ever played to this day. However apparently after matsuda's tenure, the somogyi tone apparently changed to become more explosive and the top became thinner or so I was informed. I have no first hand experience of that or of how the somogyi tone further changed after that.

For whatever it is worth, that somogyi Mod d was a reference to me as one of the very best guitars I have ever had the privilege to play, so for me anyway, that mod d tone profile is well worth pursuing. Having said that, it is worth reminding you that not only is it possible that mod d built by even his ex apprentices and workshop attendees may sound nothing like a true somogyi Mod d, but even the original somogyi Mod d may sound quite different depending on when it was made. So there may be no one mod d "sound" to speak of...

Last edited by gitarro; 07-01-2022 at 09:25 PM.
Old 07-02-2022, 06:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Interesting thought and great advice. Can those in the know please attempt to describe the Somogyi bracing/voicing tone? I'm unfamiliar but very interested to know. If anyone has any links to great audio or video sources for comparison, that would be great as well.
Old 07-02-2022, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Interesting thought and great advice. Can those in the know please attempt to describe the Somogyi bracing/voicing tone? I'm unfamiliar but very interested to know. If anyone has any links to great audio or video sources for comparison, that would be great as well.
From my limited experience playing guitars built by people who studied his bracing...

The tone can be a little modern, but still sounds relatively "normal". Harmonics and lower tunings stand out better. The guitars are very responsive to lighter touch, which isn't something your ears necessarily perceive compared to the hands.
Old 07-02-2022, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

You might want to check out this guitar https://reverb.com/item/43758007-wed...ing-demo-video It's not a custom MOD D but more of a "standard model". The voicing is done by Keisuke Nishi of Keystone guitars that makes fantastic instruments and who apprenticed under Mario Beauregard which was one of Ervin Somoygi's earliest apprentices. The price is under 5k and there's some sound clips as well.
Old 07-02-2022, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantomkaitokid View Post
You might want to check out this guitar https://reverb.com/item/43758007-wed...ing-demo-video It's not a custom MOD D but more of a "standard model". The voicing is done by Keisuke Nishi of Keystone guitars that makes fantastic instruments and who apprenticed under Mario Beauregard which was one of Ervin Somoygi's earliest apprentices. The price is under 5k and there's some sound clips as well.
Welcome to the forum PKK! That’s an impressive sounding guitar for the price. A lot of bass to play with, but also nice trebles and articulation.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop