The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-24-2022, 08:07 PM

Default Looking for a more affordable Mod-D Modified Dreadnought

I’m beginning to think that my next guitar might be a Mod-D, or shall I say I am beginning to wish that my next guitar would be one. My problem is that they seem to fall into 3 categories: affordable import (Maestro), expensive (Kostal et al.), and really expensive (Somogyi). As a firm believer in the 80:20 rule, I have to believe that there are some domestic builders in the $4k-$7k range that build this body, work with you on woods etc, and approach the big hitters in performance. By approach I mean follow the methods and strive for the exceptional sound of these modern masterpieces, maybe a grad of the Somogyi tuning class but not the full apprenticeship. Problem is, I have no idea who they are. Thoughts?
Old 06-24-2022, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

Maestro guitars look beautiful. Why not see if you can score a used one?

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 06-25-2022, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Maestro guitars look beautiful. Why not see if you can score a used one?
Thanks mikealpine, I should have been more clear. I mean commissioning a guitar- choose the woods, Manzer wedge, etc rather than used unless I find a used one that is just so. Maestro looks fabulous, I’m just trying to find out what other options there are out there.
Old 06-25-2022, 03:49 PM

Michel Aboudib in Southern France could perhaps match to your wishes
https://maboudibguitars.com/
Old 06-25-2022, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

Smile Custom Shop

Ask this in the Custom Shop/(Luthier Corner)

Lots of knowledgeable folks there. And the AGF sponsor/Luthiers could all build you a spectacular D

I know who I would choose. (Again)

Good Searching…

Play em if ya got em

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 06-25-2022, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

Try reposting this is the Custom Shop Forum page on this forum. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people there who can help you.
Old 06-25-2022, 07:41 PM

Thanks Guitars44me and lowrider, will do.

Last edited by ckmurf; 06-25-2022 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Mispelling
Old 06-28-2022, 11:30 AM

Hey, CKMURF—I think I have a builder you should check out. Take a look at oskaburmanguitars.com. He’s a relatively new builder out of Scotland. I just took the plunge and ordered two Modified Dreadnoughts from him, because I’ve always been interested in the Modified Dreadnought design, because I think his work is super professional, detailed and clean, and because his prices are not yet stratospheric. I had a long talk with him before I commissioned, and I was truly impressed. There’s another Scottish builder named Rory Dowling of Taran Guitars. His guitars are just brilliant. About twelve years ago or so he was in the same position that Oska is in today, with a base price around $3,600. Today his guitars are over $10,000 and owned by some of the world’s great guitarists. I see Oska being on this trajectory, that’s just my hunch. Maybe that hunch will come to pass, maybe not, but I’m sure I’m going to get a couple of beautiful, scintillating guitars. Check him out.

Last edited by Jwills57; 06-28-2022 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06-28-2022, 01:29 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwills57 View Post
Hey, CKMURF—I think I have a builder you should check out. Take a look at oskaburmanguitrs.com. He’s a relatively new builder out of Scotland. I just took the plunge and ordered two Modified Dreadnoughts from him, because I’ve always be interested in the Modified Dreadnought design, because I think his work is super professional, detailed and clean, and because his prices are not yet stratospheric. I had a long talk with him before I commissioned, and I was truly impressed. There’s another Scottish builder named Rory Dowling of Taran Guitars. His guitars are just brilliant. About twelve years ago or so he was in the same position that Oska is in today, with a base price around $3,600. Today his guitars are over $10,000 and owned by some of the world’s great guitarists. I see Oska being on this trajectory, that’s just my hunch. Maybe that hunch will come to pass, maybe not, but I’m sure I’m going to get a couple of beautiful, scintillating guitars. Check him out.
Thanks a lot Jwills57. Appreciate your comments here.
Facebook
Instagram
Old 06-28-2022, 08:37 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckmurf View Post
By approach I mean follow the methods and strive for the exceptional sound of these modern masterpieces, maybe a grad of the Somogyi tuning class but not the full apprenticeship. Problem is, I have no idea who they are. Thoughts?
FYI, Mark Hatcher and I both attended Ervin’s voicing class, although not at the same time.
Old 06-28-2022, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckmurf View Post
I’m beginning to think that my next guitar might be a Mod-D, or shall I say I am beginning to wish that my next guitar would be one. My problem is that they seem to fall into 3 categories: affordable import (Maestro), expensive (Kostal et al.), and really expensive (Somogyi). As a firm believer in the 80:20 rule, I have to believe that there are some domestic builders in the $4k-$7k range that build this body, work with you on woods etc, and approach the big hitters in performance. By approach I mean follow the methods and strive for the exceptional sound of these modern masterpieces, maybe a grad of the Somogyi tuning class but not the full apprenticeship. Problem is, I have no idea who they are. Thoughts?
Hi ckmurf,

Are you chasing the aesthetics/shape of a Mod-D or are you chasing a Mod-D that also carries a certain degree of Somogyi's influence from a tonal perspective?

1) Tim Mcknight (attended Somogyi's voicing class) - I believe he can offer a Mod-D in his signature brace style

2) Keisuke Nishi from Keystone Stringed Instruments - apprentice of Beauregard who is an apprentice of Somogyi - Keisuke offers Mod-D braced in a more Martin traditional X brace style

3) Max Spohn (from Europe) - whilst he did not attend any classes or courses of Somogyi, his main inspiration comes from Raymond Kraut who is an apprentice of Somogyi, Max also has a uniquely shaped Mod-D on offer

Tom Doerr sadly passed away not too long ago, otherwise I would recommend him as his base sits nicely inside your price range.

All 3 luthiers above is in the upper level of your specified price range.
Lindsay Marcus D - Sitka/Madi RW

Gone But Not Forgotten
Tom Sands Model S (Crystal) - Italian/Fiddleback Hog

Last edited by pandaroo; 06-28-2022 at 09:41 PM.
Old 06-29-2022, 07:59 AM

If you want to try out a bunch of high end guitars in person and meet the builders and describe what it is you are looking for, you could attend the B.I.G. show in Sept. Max Spohn will be there along with Steve Kinnaird, John Kinnaird, Ben Wilborn, Edwinson, Two Hands guitars, Michel Aboudib (currently with Somogyi), Lamehorse guitars, Benjamin Palducci, Neil Peterson, Rebeca Urlacher, and Indian Hills aka Micheal Kennedy.

I promise you could find someone in that group to build you what you want. Otherwise, the suggestions above are all great as well. I only mention this because you would get a chance to play them in person at the show and discuss face to face what it is you want with the builders.
Old 06-29-2022, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Smile This

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
If you want to try out a bunch of high end guitars in person and meet the builders and describe what it is you are looking for, you could attend the B.I.G. show in Sept. Max Spohn will be there along with Steve Kinnaird, John Kinnaird, Ben Wilborn, Edwinson, Two Hands guitars, Michel Aboudib (currently with Somogyi), Lamehorse guitars, Benjamin Palducci, Neil Peterson, Rebeca Urlacher, and Indian Hills aka Micheal Kennedy.

I promise you could find someone in that group to build you what you want. Otherwise, the suggestions above are all great as well. I only mention this because you would get a chance to play them in person at the show and discuss face to face what it is you want with the builders.
This is SO True!!!

You will certainly find what you seek at B.I.G. Tom and Kathy are the most gracious and together of hosts, and you will meet a BUNCH of lovely folks and some of the finest builders around.

The musical performances will be Great, too!

Not in the cards for us this year, sadly, but highly recommended

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 06-30-2022, 01:54 AM

IMHO the mod-d is closely associated with somogyi and so to get a version of the mod-d, its not enough to reproduce the dimensions ajnd shape and aesthetics of his mod-d, but the mod-d you do get should have a tonal profile rhat bears the narks of the architecture of the tone of the somogyi mod-d. In order to confidently be able to obtain a nod-d in such a lineage, it is best to either get one made under his name, or that was made by one of his ex apprentices or failing which, by a luthier who attended a voicing workshop given by Somogyi.

However virtually all of his ex apprentices charge more than 7k most of the time even their starting base price is higher than that. The ex-apprentice whose base price was or is nearest to the OP's max price of 7k is Mark Gaiero, AFAIK and I believe his base price is likely higher than that now. At any rate jis website says he makes only one model- the OM.

The next best thing seems to be luthiers who have done somogyi's workshop of which Tim mcknight and Mark hatcher are great candidates to build your mod-d. I have also been told good things about Keisuke Nishi's guitars by Marcus Wong of golden era guitars whom he represents, and Marcus is a straight shooter. I recall that Pandaroo who is a member of this forum, also owns or owned a keystone guitar and he liked it a lot.
Old 06-30-2022, 06:53 AM
Charter Member

I could have swore I commented on this post before but now I don't see it. I'll try again!

How about Emile Gervais of Lutherie Gervais in Canada? He's a young up and comer who builds in the Somogyi tradition. There was a beautiful Mod D that sold here on AGF just a months back that was quite special. I'd reach out to him. I know he has a website.

Here's a direct link to that Mod D that was sold in the classifieds:

Emile Gervais Modified Dreadnought Cutaway in the Somogyi Tradition, Beautiful!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop