The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-27-2020, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
That is a shock....about twice as much as my local auto paint store ($4.75 versus $9.80).
Not really a shock. They are a specialty store and often carry things that aren't often available elsewhere here in Canada. (Canada, with a 1/10 of the population of the U.S., often doesn't have the same variety and access to goods as in the U.S.) Sometimes, it is fortunate that one can get the products, and that Lee Valley carries them.

Shipping from the U.S. to Canada is very expensive and can sometimes take a very long time. For example, I have a small order from StewMac that has been sitting in a FedEx New Jersey warehouse since July 8th, three weeks. It left StewMac on July 7th. It'll probably cost me nearly $50 in various FedEx brokerage fees, taxes, taxes on the brokerage fees... for a $270 order, for which I paid $33 for shipping. The order fits in a small box. Welcome to Canada, eh.
Old 07-27-2020, 01:15 PM

The irony is that the tape is made in Canada.
I am wondering if USPS is cheaper and less of a hassle than Fedex, but that may just be on noncommercial shipments.
Old 07-27-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
The irony is that the tape is made in Canada.
Ah, life's ironies.

Western red cedar, grown in British Columbia, is cheaper in the U.S. than Canada. Lots of things are.

Quote:
I am wondering if USPS is cheaper and less of a hassle than Fedex, but that may just be on noncommercial shipments.
I use USPS to ship to Canada whenever possible. It is usually a little slower - but not slower than the recent FedEx shipment - but does eliminate the brokerage fees that FedEx and UPS charge.
Old 07-27-2020, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the info on the tape!
I just got the back binding done, and then my power went out so I guess I won’t be doing much more this evening. How long should it sit? I used the CA glue method with the accelerator.
Old 07-27-2020, 06:17 PM

Go ahead. CA is really quick.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:22 PM

"Lee Valley sells the Scotch 233 specifically for guitar binding work.".[/QUOTE]

Charles, Canadian Tire also sells 233+ in a 18mm x 35m roll for 4.99 ( $3.75US ) On their website its listed as 3M Auto Performance tape, but in the store its labeled 233+.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaynard View Post
Charles, Canadian Tire also sells 233+ in a 18mm x 35m roll for 4.99 ( $3.75US ) On their website its listed as 3M Auto Performance tape, but in the store its labeled 233+.
Thanks for the tip. I usually use rubber bands, but good to know it can be had elsewhere cheaper for the occasions when I do use it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair