The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-08-2020, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
What's your go to electric guitar? Mine changes over the months/years but the past year it's been my most plain looking, inexpensive, no one notices guitar... A Gibson SGJ, but it just rocks and can handle metal too.

What's yours?

Tom Anderson Cobra T, all day long. For live playing (all I'm concerned with) there's nothing it won't handle, from Johnny Lang to Metallica. And IME, nobody makes a neck like Tom.
Old 08-08-2020, 01:05 PM

2015 Gretsch Electromatic G5622T-CB - three Super Hi-lo'Trons, cats'-eye soundholes, 335-style center block (this puppy's heavy - like a Norlin-era Gibson ES semi @ 9 lbs. 3 oz.), obligatory Bigsby, every sound you've ever heard from a Gretsch and a few you'll never get with any other guitar:

Old 08-08-2020, 01:09 PM

G&L Bluesboy. Semi-hollow with solid top. Rosewood board. 12 inch radius. Seth Lover (stock) humbucker. Not my pic, as you can see the maple, but the right color body. Gotta get a host

Old 08-08-2020, 02:37 PM

Heavily modified Classic Player Jazzmaster. This is the equivalent of an Italian screwdriver-a 3lb baby sledgehammer!
Old 08-08-2020, 05:02 PM

I have a '62 AVRI Tele and an Epi ES-335 Dot (modified with a vintage wiring kit and SD Antiquities). Both guitars were selected for the purpose of being my "Go To" and only electrics.
Old 08-08-2020, 05:09 PM

My Fender Telecaster is probably my go to. (Butterscotch blonde, maple board, black guard with a Bigsby and strung with 10's).

Feels like a comfy couch.

Last edited by Steel and wood; 08-09-2020 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-08-2020, 05:33 PM

2017 American Vintage '64 Telecaster
Old 08-08-2020, 08:04 PM

I have a bunch of nice classic electrics (Gibson: Les Pauls - SG's - Firebird, Fender Custom: Stratocasters - Teles, Gretsch Pro Line: Chet Atkins 6120 - Double Anniversary - Duojet, etc) and oddly enough, this is the one that keep out in my music room, and pick up every time I start an electric guitar recording...

The tone of the DeArmond style pickups (MR2000SB), the comfortable neck shape and smooth as silk fingerboard, and the smoothness and effectiveness of the volume/tone controls, all fit me like a glove. And this guitar has some of the best fretwork I've ever seen on a production guitar, and spot-on intonation! Funny thing, I have less money in this guitar than any of the electrics I use.

I got a really good deal on this guitar because the guy selling it didn't know what it was. It's a Japanese built Zemaitis SUJ101 LTD13 which originally sold for close to $3000. But Zemaitis sells a few different cheaper models made in Korea that use inferior parts and woods that sell for a fraction of that, and that's what the seller thought it was. He sold it to me for $740. So I gutted it, and put my absolute favorite components in it...

MR2000SB pickups
Custom Aluminum pickup rings
VIP 500K audio taper pots
Sprague Vit K ,015 and .022 caps
Q parts knobs
Switchcraft long 3 way switch
Armadillo brass switch-tip for the 3-way
Puretone output jack
Gotoh Engraved 21:1 ratio tuners

Here's the ad for this guitar from when it was introduced...

Last edited by rockabilly69; 08-08-2020 at 08:27 PM.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:28 PM

2003 PRS gold top double cut McCarty with Harmonic Design P90 soap bars.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:03 PM
Charter Member

Right now, it's my American Professional Strat. 20200621_221307.jpg
Old 08-09-2020, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
I have a bunch of nice classic electrics (Gibson: Les Pauls - SG's - Firebird, Fender Custom: Stratocasters - Teles, Gretsch Pro Line: Chet Atkins 6120 - Double Anniversary - Duojet, etc) and oddly enough, this is the one that keep out in my music room, and pick up every time I start an electric guitar recording...

The tone of the DeArmond style pickups (MR2000SB), the comfortable neck shape and smooth as silk fingerboard, and the smoothness and effectiveness of the volume/tone controls, all fit me like a glove. And this guitar has some of the best fretwork I've ever seen on a production guitar, and spot-on intonation! Funny thing, I have less money in this guitar than any of the electrics I use.

I got a really good deal on this guitar because the guy selling it didn't know what it was. It's a Japanese built Zemaitis SUJ101 LTD13 which originally sold for close to $3000. But Zemaitis sells a few different cheaper models made in Korea that use inferior parts and woods that sell for a fraction of that, and that's what the seller thought it was. He sold it to me for $740. So I gutted it, and put my absolute favorite components in it...

MR2000SB pickups
Q parts knobs
Puretone output jack

Umm, that thing looks amazing! Very unique. Love it.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 08-09-2020, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post

MR2000SB pickups
Q parts knobs
Puretone output jack

You got me curious and I checked out their website. They have some crazy unique guitars! I like yours a lot, but some of their designs are a little out there.

This one for instance reminds me of that tile job I’ve been putting off forever in one of my bathrooms:

https://zemaitisguitarcompany.com/pfg24-ring.html

2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 08-09-2020, 05:12 AM

A couple of sweet looking Gibsons! The Special has me intrigued. I bet it's a tone monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanR View Post
My go to electric guitar, especially when playing at home, is my '67 Gibson ES335.

When I was gigging, I found out that I played better standing up with my '95 Gibson Les Paul Special. And I do love the sound of P90s.

[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
Old 08-09-2020, 07:57 AM

Collings I 35 LC or Michael Tuttle Tuned T
Old 08-09-2020, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

I only have two so right now the new one is my GT

Tele w/P 90's

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars