The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-05-2020, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
It's a copy/paste from the website, so it must be "current" old information.
Likely not the first, or only, company that hasn't updated their website!

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 08-05-2020, 01:57 PM

Quote:
I just sent Jessie an email about this.

2012 Martin HD-28V
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 08-05-2020, 02:05 PM

While we are on the comparisons, and should in the wild event you ever do buy both, save the jig that K&K includes. That is a helpful piece of kit to install these things, and JJB does not come with them
Old 08-05-2020, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
While we are on the comparisons, and should in the wild event you ever do buy both, save the jig that K&K includes. That is a helpful piece of kit to install these things, and JJB does not come with them
Yes. Making one isn't that difficult, however.

Do to my unique situation it wouldn't have helped. I had previously installed a hard maple plate below the bridge plate to deal with a string pull-through issue, which interfered with standard positioning. I made a paper template, however, that allowed me to place the sensors properly.

2012 Martin HD-28V
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 08-07-2020, 08:35 AM

Quote:
No, the PPS is made to connect to a guitar with a preamp not to go through the endblock. The prestige series is for acoustics to mount a Jack through the endblock.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 08-07-2020, 09:13 AM

I've been through a ton of different acoustic pickups over the years.

Today, all of my acoustics have K&K's in them. I like them!

But nothing sounds as good as a mic'd guitar.
Old 08-07-2020, 04:24 PM

Both K & K and JJBs are great. My gigging buddy has K & Ks, I have JJBs and they are not as hot as the K & Ks, but I see this as an advantage, as they seem to be less prone to feedback (which I don't find to be a big issue anyway) and they are more balanced and less bassy.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
No, the PPS is made to connect to a guitar with a preamp not to go through the endblock. The prestige series is for acoustics to mount a Jack through the endblock.
The website is confusing.

Yes, the question asks about "standard" systems, but the answer relates to what's referred to on the JJB website as a "universal" system. All of us that are using a transducer that doesn't have an output jack installed through the side of a guitar (I'd never consider that a "standard" system) are looking at a jack assembly that extends through a standard tail block.

It would benefit JJB to have someone proof read the website and make appropriate changes, including grammar, spelling, and punctuation. If you don't make an effort to communicate effectively with those who might choose to use your products then they may base their purchasing decisions on the care you put into marketing your product.

What exactly is a "Switchcraft style" jack? I've had to deal with import knockoffs of similar jacks that left me with the desire to pay a bit more for the real thing.

As I've said, if saving $30 is important to you then do not buy a K&K Pure Mini.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
It would benefit JJB to have someone proof read the website and make appropriate changes...
Agreed, but JJB is a one-person operation, so I personally would cut them (him) a little slack.

Quote:
As I've said, if saving $30 is important to you then do not buy a K&K Pure Mini.
Street price of a K&K is about $100, while the JJB is $50 (plus $2.50 shipping). A quibble, but the difference is closer to $50 than $30. Also, based on the comments in this thread, some people prefer the JJB. I have both and I'm happy with both.

2012 Martin HD-28V
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 08-08-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCharlesD View Post
Both K & K and JJBs are great. My gigging buddy has K & Ks, I have JJBs and they are not as hot as the K & Ks, but I see this as an advantage, as they seem to be less prone to feedback (which I don't find to be a big issue anyway) and they are more balanced and less bassy.
I use the JJB in my D18...the K & K in my J45.
The JJB sounds more natural with a lower output. I use an EQ with both and a Red Eye Fire Eye Twin Pre amp. If I had it to do over again , I’d probably go with the JJB in my J45. It just sounds better IMO.
I will say I had to replace the cheaply made input Jack that came with the JJB in about six months.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-11-2020, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I use the JJB in my D18...the K & K in my J45.
The JJB sounds more natural with a lower output. I use an EQ with both and a Red Eye Fire Eye Twin Pre amp. If I had it to do over again , I’d probably go with the JJB in my J45. It just sounds better IMO.
I will say I had to replace the cheaply made input Jack that came with the JJB in about six months.
The last few JJB pickups I bought, I emailed Jessie and had him send me the pickups without jacks. I buy Switchcraft jacks from my local store and solder them on myself. He does give me a small price break for leaving out the jack.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 08-11-2020, 09:15 AM

I've installed multiple JJB pickups and have always been happy. Though I can't say which you would like better but if I were to do it again, I'd go with JJB.
Old 08-11-2020, 01:28 PM

Just to even the balance, I've had a Switchcraft Switchjack fail on me. And had perfect performance with the Italian metric switchjack knock-offs used by Mi-Si for the three years I gigged with them.

I am a fan of Switchcraft and if I was buying a jack for a repair that is what I would choose.

I have seen some pretty ugly Switchcraft knockoffs from China, but I think JJB uses the Italian version.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 08-11-2020, 01:41 PM
AGF Sponsor

The Italian jacks are made by ST Professional. They are the best that I know of, and are what I use on the Ultra Tonic. I believe Baggs uses these as well.

I have been told that Fishman has its jacks custom made. I believe they are reliable.

The Korean and Chinese endpin jacks that are widely available are not reliable and will fail sooner than later.

I don't have any first hand knowledge of Switchcraft's reliability, though I would expect it to be pretty high.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 08-12-2020, 09:34 AM

I have installed JJB pickups in a tenor guitar, a mandolin and an archtop guitar. All worked great and I do not plug into a preamp. I like the sound. Jessie is great to work with, just an email away.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification