The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-03-2019, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

Default Finger style - the difference between pro and amatuer....

Its in the string damping, both left and right hands IMO. Proper note duration. This is probably the hardest thing to get down after years of the bad habit of letting every thing ring out . I'll have to sit and mimic original recordings and then record and see if I can match exactly to learn the technique as I doubt there are extensive online lessons on this topic.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-03-2019, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

There are lots of things, but for a package concept:

Play with authority. Some playing sounds so tentative that it seems disconnected, and even what was correctly played as far as notes and timing comes across poorly.

Also when playing something melodic make sure that comes out clearly rather than a mixed up hodgepodge of various notes.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 08-03-2019 at 11:29 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 08-03-2019, 11:31 AM

Like Rick-slo remarks, with authority. I'll add confidence before authority and before confidence comes a whole lot of work to pony up the dynamics of the music respective of the original pieces. With all that under your belt authority simply means you play the music as if you wrote it. Passion will take you through to playing with authority. If you don't start out with it beg, borrow or buy some because it's the key to all of it.
Old 08-03-2019, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

My weakest area too. Got some pointers from Eric Skye but still very poor at it.
Old 08-03-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
Like Rick-slo remarks, with authority. I'll add confidence before authority and before confidence comes a whole lot of work to pony up the dynamics of the music respective of the original pieces. With all that under your belt authority simply means you play the music as if you wrote it. Passion will take you through to playing with authority. If you don't start out with it beg, borrow or buy some because it's the key to all of it.
+1!!
I'm sure when the above items are in place, a musician will attain the consistency required to go out to every gig or session and nail their material. To me, the pros have that hard earned ingredient....they can consistently produce at that high quality level. We amateurs just aren't able to do that in the same way.
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 08-03-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I'll have to sit and mimic original recordings and then record and see if I can match exactly to learn the technique as I doubt there are extensive online lessons on this topic.
You make a very good observation and yes, in the steel string world it seems most people just let everything ring out, all the time. In some music this doesn't matter too much (eg. much of DADGAD stuff you want that modal drone) but in some styles it makes all the difference as you say.

There are some great lessons out there, but they are mostly from classical guitarists where this stuff is important - when you are learning repertoire from sheet music you are expected to study and understand the composer's intentions regarding different voices. William Kanengiser's tuition videos are excellent and he goes into this subject in some depth in one of them, demonstrating both LH and RH muting techniques and demonstrating the difference between observing note duration, and not, in various pieces. The former makes for a much more articulate performance.

"The way nature seems to work is that it sends a messenger...the acoustic guitar needed to go in another direction, Michael Hedges became that messenger"
Tommy Emmanuel
Old 08-03-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
There are lots of things, but for a package concept:

Play with authority. Some playing sounds so tentative that it seems disconnected, and even what was correctly played as far as notes and timing comes across poorly.

Also when playing something melodic make sure that comes out clearly rather than a mixed up hodgepodge of various notes.
Great suggestions.

I’ll add that many of these tunes need to ‘dance’ ( bounce if you will). It’s a combination of syncopation with the triplets. I have gotten better by playing along (hopefully in time) with a good performance.

PS - Toby Walker has a great lesson from Homespun entitled, “Bringing out the Bounce”
Old 08-06-2019, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Well, unless I was a Master, I'd hesitate to offer too many "THIS is what it is..." statements, first of all...

Some really good responses, though.

I want to play EVER note with purpose and intent, deliberately... cultivating that mind-set allows me to do the same thing without consciously thinking much about the technique or the "way" I do it...

The Heart of the Matter is what truly separates the wheat from the chaff...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 08-08-2019, 02:52 AM
Charter Member

Great thread and I can totally relate to every response. Just read an article by Ken Bonfield where one of his goals was to play with commitment. At Swannanoa last week in a couple of classes, instructors were coaching us to not play tentatively. My teacher tells me to always regard my guitar as a singer when playing solo fingerstyle.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write