The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-08-2024, 09:05 AM

Default Pickup install on Martin 000-15M - Need some help / advice

OK I've never installed a pickup on a guitar that was only pure acoustic before. I have done many Anthem SL installs, but they were easy since the hole for the piezo was already there. So for this install I need to do a few new things for me. Please offer any tips you have to someone doing this for the first time:

1- Widen the endpin hole to 1/2" I've read that you want it to be a little under 1/2" so that it's a snug fit for the preamps end jack. True? So do I use a reamer along with progressively larger drill bits? How much do I ream and then drill? How many times should I stop reaming and switch to the drill? Anything else to know?

2- Drill a hole through the bridge for the piezo. This seems easy enough. I've read you want to angle it slightly so the piezo doesn't get bent down at a 45 degree angle. True? What size drill bit to use? Something just slightly larger that the piezo strip?

3- Drill a hole for the top strap pin. Again...looks easy but what to look out for? Do I just use one drill bit and do it all in one step? Anything to be careful of here?

Thanks for the help. Please don't tell me to bring it to a luthier...I want to learn to do this stuff myself. It's not rocket science. I asked my local place if they would just drill the holes for me....the endpin, bridge and strap and they wanted $50 to do that. I though that was steep since it will probably take them 5 minutes to do all that.
Old 03-08-2024, 09:44 AM

I've done dozens of SBT (soundboard transducer) installs but never an UST (under saddle transducer) so I've never drilled through the saddle slot/guitar top for a wire. Just one of the reasons I prefer SBT's to UST's. My SBT of choice is by JJB.

If you want to enlarge the tapered end pin hole for a standard switchjack output jack use a hand reamer vs a powered drill. That's how I've always done it. I ream until it's just big enough for the output Jack to fit. That's more like 7/16" than 1/2". I take my time and check frequently.

Or...on my Martin's I like the ability to return it to the original (no pickup) condition so I use the Tapastring Vintage Jack. I also then make up my own instrument cable with a right angle 3.5 mm TRS plug vs 1/4" plug and keep it in the case. This is what I've done on my HD-28 and 000-15SM.

There are tons of threads here on installing a strap button on the neck heel. Do this Google search:

how to install a strap button the the neck heel of a guitar site:www.acousticguitarforum.com

First put some low tack painters tape on the heel and mark the pilot hole with an awl or drill bit by hand. Choose a bit that is the same size as the screw shaft diameter at the root of the threads. Drill perpendicular to the neck heel surface. Lube the screw threads with parafin. Make the hole depth a little longer than the screw length.

Always use a felt washer between the button and neck heel. Screw in snug - don't overtighten.

Last edited by Mandobart; 03-08-2024 at 09:51 AM.
Old 03-08-2024, 09:46 AM

….or, pay someone who would be willing to allow you to observe the process and learn from him/her for the next time.

Rb
Old 03-08-2024, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerblair View Post
….or, pay someone who would be willing to allow you to observe the process and learn from him/her for the next time.

Rb
That's actually a great idea if someone was willing to do that
Old 03-08-2024, 01:35 PM

The jack is slightly smaller then 1/2 inch but the directions call for drilling a 1/2in hole so even the manufacturer is okay with that. In practice it's possible that the larger hole can get wallowed out by a loose fit over time but if you keep the nuts tight you should be fine. The other think you could try is wrap the jack in electrical tape to snug the fit up if you want.

The safest way to do this is of course with the proper, very expensive, reaming tool which is the correct size but just as safe is a step bit which will take you to 1/2in.
Old 03-09-2024, 07:46 AM

The correct hole for most endpin jacks is12mm which is .270 mm less than 1/2 inch so half inch works fine if you dont have metric drills. You could always wrap a layer of tape around the jack if you think it's too sloppy.

A step drill works great for enlarging the hole, I didn't believe it till I tried it on a junk/neckless guitar before the pricey mandolin I was working on. It worked perfect. Get one that is maximum 12mm. Put masking tape over the existing hole and drill completely through. You can practice on scrap first. https://www.amazon.com/Utoolmart-4mm.../dp/B07ZCHGCHT

I did bridge work on an Alvarez with an under saddle pickup. There was a 1/8"? hole on both ends of the bridge slot. The wire/piezo came up through the bass side and the bit on the end about 3/8" long went down through the treble side. I think this is just to keep it from falling out if the saddle is removed but it did seem nice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair