The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-27-2021, 07:39 PM

Default Zoom Q2n vs H2n for Audio

I recently tried (and returned) a Zoom Q2n 4k video/audio recorder for recording small acoustic groups in a living room. While it was decent I was disappointed with the result, particularly with the video (1080p) which was grainy and needed fixing in post. The camera is definitely not very good at handling natural indoor lighting. The audio was okay. Recording three musicians in a line is a bit of a challenge since there's a compromise between optimum mic placement and optimum camera placement. In order to get the mic close enough you have to use a wider angle camera setting to get everyone in the frame, resulting in some camera distortion at the edges. Too far away and the mics produce a boxy sound. Now, for the price it's a pretty amazing little device and in certain situations I have no doubt it works great. One performer, well lit, reasonably close for example. It's hard to imagine a cheaper all in one solution and I was tempted to keep it just for the simplicity alone.

As for video I found that my old Google Pixel gen one phone killed the Q2n at 1080p. Not even close. So, I'm left with audio which leads me to consider the Zoom H2n. One advantage would be that both the phone and the H2n could be located in optimum locations. Also, it's a very simple package. In the past I've used a laptop with three mics to a mixer to a USB interface to Reaper, which sounded great but was a pain to set up each time. So, I'm wondering if anyone has experience using the H2n in a similar situation and if they were satisfied with the result. I'm guessing it would be at least as good as the audio from the Qn2. Thanks.
Old 09-04-2021, 05:21 PM

There are reports of audio drop outs when recording with the H2. I'd check into its ability to handle what you want it to do.
Old 09-05-2021, 06:57 AM

I have a H2N and it is a great little recorder — I always take it with me anywhere. I sometimes use a small stero sony condensor with it which improves the sound. But the H5 and H6 are far better mics and recorders and, of course, you can plug in any XLR mic.
Martin J40
Old 09-05-2021, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

I just watched that Captain O'Kane post (Show & Tell forum) and it [Q2N 4k video] looks and sounds pretty darn good, so, at least in that case, it looks good in all the HD resolutions to my eyes. (Just had them checked, not bad! Unlike the old ears...)

I'd guess that if there's a video grain problem, it might be due to lighting (or lack of, more specifically)? Regardless of resolution, the sensor is only going to be able to actually capture stuff if it has enough light, and that Q2n might have a 4k sensor, but that's a pretty tiny piece of glass in front of it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD