The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 02-16-2014, 09:52 PM

Default Archtop Stereo Rig Question..

Hi Everyone, So I have been contemplating something new and was wondering if anyone has done it or if it is possible. What I would like to do is create a stereo rig for my Godin Kingpin. I love the P90 tone but I was wondering is there a way to get a good acoustic tone out of it also? (I am not looking to try and reproduce a Flattop tone just something useable) I would love to run a stereo rig live where I can have a overdriven tone with the P90 and a more acoustic based tone?

Any feedback would be awesome.

Thank you in advance..
Old 02-16-2014, 10:27 PM

Take a look down the page and read the dual source thread, there are several good suggestions from players regarding working setups.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:28 PM

Thank you I must have overlooked that thread.. Thank you very much
Old 02-17-2014, 05:56 AM

Let us know what you are thinking and eventually use. This is an ongoing discussion with plenty of room for another setup.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:51 AM

You could try the Fishman archtop pickup, here it is:

http://www.fishman.com/product/archtop-guitar-pickup-1

Have your luthier wire it in with a stereo jack. There are other piezo pickups for archtops (K&K, Pickup the world, Schatten, etc)

At that point, you have 2 options:

1. Get a stereo "Y" cable so you would have 2 signals coming out of the guitar, one for the Fishman and one for the P90. Obviously, you now need 2 channels for the guitar on your amp/P.A.

2. Second option (the one I use) is this Pickup the world Stereo Powerplug endpin preamp. It will convert the signal to mono (one cable going to the amp/P.A.), the preamp has volume and gain for both signals so you can adjust balance between the 2 pickup souces. The preamp will work in stereo also and you still need the "Y" cable. It has a switch on the side for "Mono/Stereo". In either case, both pickup signals are now preamped. Here it is (scroll down a ways):

http://www.archtop.com/ac_access.html

I have a Fishman Matrix undersaddle and Kent Armstrong floating pickup on my Eastman Pagelli.

Jimmy
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops