The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-05-2020, 02:22 AM
Charter Member

Default Borges OM28

Hi Gang,

Please tell me about Borges guitars. Specifically, I'm looking at trading in my Baranik JX for this Borges 1929 OM28 from 2002:

https://www.tfoa.eu/en/julius-borges...k-varnish.html

I love the Baranik, but I'm looking to gain more experience with the "Vintage tone", and I figure a Borges OM28 with an adi top will be hard to beat for that!

I know that Borges get very good reviews around here. How about his older guitars (this one is from 2002). Are they on par with his current production? Is there anything I should be worried about or keep in mind?

Thanks!
Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg borges-julius-borges-1929-om28-adirondack-varnish.jpg (17.4 KB, 617 views)
Old 06-05-2020, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlcox View Post
Hi Gang,

Please tell me about Borges guitars. Specifically, I'm looking at trading in my Baranik JX for this Borges 1929 OM28 from 2002:

https://www.tfoa.eu/en/julius-borges...k-varnish.html

I love the Baranik, but I'm looking to gain more experience with the "Vintage tone", and I figure a Borges OM28 with an adi top will be hard to beat for that!

I know that Borges get very good reviews around here. How about his older guitars (this one is from 2002). Are they on par with his current production? Is there anything I should be worried about or keep in mind?

Thanks!
Brian
I don’t know if they get any better than Julius when it comes to recreating the vintage OM. He’s told me that he’s finished building, so this looks like a nice opportunity. I took delivery of an OM-28 from him in 2018 (Adirondack and Madagascar rosewood) and it’s a phenomenal instrument — it does everything you want an OM-28 to do. He says that the improvements that he’s most recently implemented have contributed to sweeter and fatter trebles. But I think he’d already established himself as a great builder well before 2002, so I’d expect this would be a lovely example. It’s also a very good price for a Borges.

I have a Baranik too and I really like it, but it doesn’t satisfy the vintage itch like Julius’ OM does. Whether that’s a good trade for you isn’t something I can say, but my guess is that you’d likely enjoy having a Borges in your arsenal.
Old 06-05-2020, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

I've had a 2009 Borges OM18 for several years. Wonderful instrument for fingerstyle, flesh and nail. It isn't going anywhere.
Old 06-05-2020, 05:25 PM

Dude. That looks like a fierce axe. Borges is definitely on my short list of builders and given that he isn't building any more, the one that you've identified seems like a great pick-up. I also love the fact that it has a varnish finish...

One of my favorite luthiers, John Slobod, worked with Julius (and Eric Schoenberg), and I LOVE John's guitars. I say go for it!!!!
Old 06-06-2020, 02:37 AM
Charter Member

You simply can't go wrong,
Old 06-06-2020, 03:33 AM

I would like to get one myself but it's not a good time for me .Enjoy what ever one you choose.You can't go wrong

Last edited by bluesman62; 06-06-2020 at 03:45 AM.
Old 06-06-2020, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Julius is almost retired. I have his last spot and am hoping for a 2020-early 2021 delivery as neither of us are rushing it as he slows down. I own a phenomenal 2013 OM-18GG as well.

As Bruce Sexauer says, his best build is the next one as it’s almost impossible not to tweak and improve each guitar. But I have a 2005 Sexauer and it’s phenomenal. There are no Borges guitars that are not great, but I will say the vintage tone is nailed, but that tone is very specific vs a more modern tone like your Baranik. Sure, people say one can play anything on anything, and you can, but “Moon River” on my 1935 L-00 is very different than on my Sitka/Brazilian McAlister. So for a big expenditure, what do you play most? If you look at my signature, all my guitars are vintage Martin or Gibson, or from those individual luthiers that build in that tradition. I someday think of a Kostal or such, but I’m just not that type of player. Best of luck.
Old 06-06-2020, 10:51 AM

That`s some guitar.
Old 06-06-2020, 05:24 PM

Julius builds amazing guitars. IIRC, Paul Asbell plays one, and in his hands, it’s possible to hear the full range of what Julius’ instruments can do - really, really good.
Old 06-07-2020, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

Hi All, OP here. In the end we couldn't agree on a deal for the trade in plus cash option for the Borges. We got close and I might have pulled the trigger, but I ended up getting a great deal privately to trade the Baranik for a Bourgeois JOMC which will already get me a pretty good distance towards where I want to go. The trade also included a Webber OM to even out the deal, and I'm rather looking forward to trying that one too.

TFOA was very cool about me deciding to go with a different deal, and mentioned that they might be interested in doing a two for one deal sometime in the future if these two don't float my boat - cool shop.
Old 10-31-2020, 05:49 AM

Bourgeois is the correct spelling
Martin OMJM
Martin Jeff Daniels custom OM #33
Martin Eric Clapton Custom Signature
Martin CEO-7
Martin 0-18
Guild F65ce
Waterloo WL12 MH
Fender Stratocaster 1980 (American

My biggest fear is when i die my wife will sell my guitars for what I told her they cost
Old 10-31-2020, 07:05 AM

Borges told me a week ago that he was forced to completely retire as he had contacted a certain, let's say "a condition that is in the news these days" and the aftermath left him unable to cope with dust and the chemicals from finishes. Sad to have that happen.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 10-31-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman62 View Post
That'll be news to Julius.
Old 10-31-2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman62 View Post
No it's not. Completely different builder.
Old 11-05-2020, 02:43 AM
Charter Member

So, the wheel goes round and round! Funnny that someone bumped this old post as I've sold both the guitars that I traded the Baranik for, and am back to considering the Borges, this time with cash in hand.

Suprisingly the guitar has been sitting in the shop for quite a while - I wonder what's up with that!

Any more experience with older Borges that you're willing to share?

Cheers,
Brian

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion