The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-31-2019, 11:12 AM

Default Happy Halloween!

Or Samhain or All Hallows Eve!

Have fun, be safe. Being in Texas, it is quite nice to finally feel the cooler air.

Blessed be.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 10-31-2019, 11:42 AM

I don't understand the reaction of adults to Halloween and Halloween parties.

I was invited to a Halloween party in Georgia (about an hour north). I guess I might've gone, except it took place last Saturday. I went to a Halloween party at a bar here last night. No clue why they felt it had to be on the 30th and not the 31st. Another club here is having their party Saturday night.

I can almost understand having it the weekend prior, but once it's passed it's passed.

My usually haunt is having their party tonight, which is as it should be.

I spoke to a friend of mine near Charlotte, NC earlier today. She said that, because it's supposed to rain there tonight, they've "rescheduled" Halloween to tomorrow night. The HOA of my friend's neighborhood actually sent out a notice informing homeowners that Halloween "would be held" on Friday, November 1, due to expected inclement weather.

When I was a kid, if it was raining and you wanted candy. You got wet. Period. None of this mamby-pamby "let's reschedule it" nonsense...
Old 10-31-2019, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Happy Halloween! Hope everybody stays safe... watch out for the goblins!
Old 10-31-2019, 01:01 PM

This was always one of my favorite days of the year when I was a kid. Loved trick or treating, even if it was snowing.
Old 10-31-2019, 01:12 PM

Snowing in Chicago. Disproportionately big snowflakes, like in a snowglobe, and high winds blowing them horizontally. To be followed by temperatures in the low 30s.

On the other hand, some of the trees with branches covered with new fallen snow look amazing, especially the ones that still have their red and gold and orange leaves contrasting with the white.

Last edited by frankmcr; 10-31-2019 at 03:09 PM. Reason: update
Old 10-31-2019, 01:16 PM

We've mostly lived in cold climates (Michigan, Alaska and now Idaho) so Halloween trick-or-treating was always a cold experience. In Anchorage, we called the kids "flashers". It is a once-in-a-childhood experience to trick or treat there without trudging through several inches of snow. They would come to the house all bundled up in heavy winter coats, open the coat to show their costume (thus the flashing) and yell. We always tried to be generous with the candy, since they worked so hard to get there.

My wife just picked up 4-5 bags of candy for our front door this evening - all chocolate in some form. Like the cats, she doesn't much care for the kids coming to the door, but I love it. It will be quite cold here tonight but dry, so I'll have to wear my coat answering the door.
Old 10-31-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeFan View Post
...My usual haunt is having their party tonight, which is as it should be...
It has been said that the pun is the lowest form of humor...
Old 10-31-2019, 02:59 PM

Happy Halloween! Favorite day of the year. I live in a historic neighborhood and am expecting 300+ kids tonight.
Preston Thompson: O Koa
Old 11-01-2019, 09:06 AM
Guest 33123

Because of the rain we had about half the usual amount of kids ~100. Kind of sad but it was nice seeing the kids that did make it out.
Old 11-01-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
Snowing in Chicago. Disproportionately big snowflakes, like in a snowglobe, and high winds blowing them horizontally. To be followed by temperatures in the low 30s.

On the other hand, some of the trees with branches covered with new fallen snow look amazing, especially the ones that still have their red and gold and orange leaves contrasting with the white.

Kids in our neighborhood are pretty tough! We still had quite a few trick or treaters.

Even my little guys made it a good hour, plus they trick or treated earlier in the day outside their school (striking teachers brought candy and dressed up, awesome) AND we did the main busy street by our house in the early afternoon where all the businesses (including the bars, how South Side of Chicago can you get) opened their doors to trick or treaters. Then the neighbors came over for pizza and the kids all got to dip into their stash.

Finished off the day with a little guitar playing and a glass of bourbon to warm me up. Pretty great day.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 11-01-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
all the businesses (including the bars, how South Side of Chicago can you get) opened their doors to trick or treaters. .
LOL, and Go Sox!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic