The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-16-2020, 06:47 PM

Default Yamaha or Taylor?

Hey guys! I am on the market for a guitar in the next few months as a graduation present to myself. I have been playing a Taylor 214ce dlx for 3 years now and although I really enjoy it, I think it's time to upgrade! My budget right now caps at around 3k. I normally lead worship 3 times per week and am not SUPER into taylor's ES2, but it's tolerable. Ideally I would want an LR Baggs Anthem on it. Anyways, I heard a Yamaha LL36 review online that made me REALLY want to give it a go. On the other hand, I could probably snag a nice used 814ce DLX out of it. Do you guys have any suggestions on which one to go with? If you all have other suggestions, I am all ears as I want to get the best bang for my buck! Thanks
Old 11-16-2020, 07:03 PM

Default A thought --- opinion

I think, in terms of playability, and potential playability, you've already arrived. Construction quality, same. Install the pickup you want in your Taylor, and enjoy. If you're playing plugged in, then the instrument's acoustics won't be anything like the factor they'd be playing without electricity. Bragging rights are their own universe, but remove that and you've got an instrument plays better and is made better than 90% of the guitars out there.

The money may well have a better use in the future. These days a few more bucks in the bank are a good idea. Church, too, might appreciate a contribution to the food bank. It's going to be a cold and scary and hungry winter for a whole lot of folks.
Old 11-16-2020, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

To me this is simple - the Yamaha. The 36/56 guitars are another level up from a mass/robot produced Taylor - more akin to a small shop/boutique build. Drop an Anthem in and you have a world class rig.
Old 11-16-2020, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchnspeed View Post
To me this is simple - the Yamaha. The 36/56 guitars are another level up from a mass/robot produced Taylor - more akin to a small shop/boutique build. Drop an Anthem in and you have a world class rig.
^^^

THIS
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 11-16-2020, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Interesting take! Definitely feel like that’s weighing heavy right now.
Old 11-16-2020, 11:53 PM

I own a Yamaha LL26. I have played a few Taylor 814ce. I would take my Yamaha any day of the week, over a Taylor 814ce. Put a k&k mini or lr baggs anthem in it and enjoy. But thats just me. I guess you have to decide for yourself. Don't know if your interested in the Yamaha LL26, but Sweetwater has one in stock.

Last edited by baw3; 11-17-2020 at 12:05 AM.
Old 11-17-2020, 02:50 AM

I own both Yamaha and Taylor, they are probably the two brands I've had the most hands-on experience with in the acoustic world.

My Taylor history consists of a GS Mini, 110, 322ce, and 612ce (and a T3 for good measure). Still have the 322 and 612 although I'm only hanging onto them currently because they are 12-fret models - am thinking about selling them though. Taylor guitars are certainly very nice and the crew there have perfected mass-production in a way that is both admirable and laudable. They certainly make some fine guitars.

On the Yamaha side I currently own an LL36 and an LS36. Those Yammies have a magic that is something else entirely. They feel more old-world and at the same time are equally perfectly made, if not better. They are an astonishing value in the USA especially, I've learned recently...

In short, if I could have just one brand it would be Yamaha - the LL36 is my favourite acoustic guitar in the world at the moment, the LS is almost as sweet (just best for different purposes) and neither of them are going anywhere, ever.

Good luck with the quest either way.
Old 11-17-2020, 05:23 AM
Charter Member

I've played those high end Yamaha's at Music Zoo a few times. MZ has a lot of really nice guitars and those Yamaha's have always been the nicest and best sounding guitars in the store.
Old 11-17-2020, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I've played those high end Yamaha's at Music Zoo a few times. MZ has a lot of really nice guitars and those Yamaha's have always been the nicest and best sounding guitars in the store.
Not bad for a beach guitar lol
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 11-17-2020, 04:08 PM

Food for thought because you asked

1. Buy used to get much more bang for buck. Try the Yamaha first as reviews are, you know, just opinions, despite what you think you hear on a vid. If you can't try one, then I'd personally not plunk down the money you're talking about on an unknown entity; too risky for my heard-earned cash.

2. Taylor's consistency in quality and build (as in superb NT neck) is not to be easily dismissed. Of course tone is the the paramount concern (duh, for those ready to pounce on me here), but the ability to keep a guitar's geometry and thus, playability, at its peak always and forever is no small feature. And the consistent tone for a given model is remarkable, and this is because of their stellar build practices that keeps tolerances and build processes tight and spot on. If one were to buy blind, there are precious few makers I would trust with delivering a tonal expectation (again, given whatever model and wood species), and Taylor is absolutely one of the very first marques I'd mention.

3. Taylor's wide breadth of models offer you a very wide palette from which to choose. Anyone who thinks all Taylors sound ______ (fill in the blank) may as well say the same about said Yamaha, let alone Martin. It's fallacy and bias from the get go. The company offers you much to choose, just like the other quality guitar makers do.

4. As a corollary to point 3, Taylor's older models get you away from the ES2 (which likewise, I do not care for at all and would gladly avoid). Choose either models from 2010- ca.2013 and get that version ES (ES1.3) which is killer live ...I've been using this ES in various guits for yeeaaars and love it. Or simply find a Taylor irrespective of year sans electronics and go with the Anthem, which likewise I find superb.

Oh, and big congrats on graduation! Go get something that makes a joyful noise!

Edward

Last edited by edward993; 11-17-2020 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-17-2020, 04:25 PM

Actually, my LGS stocks Taylors with the LR Baggs Anthem installed. Third Rock Music.
Old 11-17-2020, 05:43 PM

I admit I'm a bit biased towards Emerald. With carbon fiber you'll never have to worry about humidity or temperature changes and they stay in tune like you've never seen before.
Last Wednesday they started having weekly online mini concerts to demo their guitars. There should be another one tomorrow evening. Here's the first one.
https://www.facebook.com/EmeraldGuit...30315407382209
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Yamaha Silent Steel String
Old 11-17-2020, 08:40 PM

Taylors have the amazing fast neck, but the L line is something else, I just have the entry L line, LL16 and it is fantastic, its a bit heavily built compared to the 26 and up, but it's very loud and over the three years since I bought it, it's really opened up and rattles my chest when I play. Incredible for finger picking.

Not sure if ill ever get rid of it, if I do it will most likely be to fund the LL26 or a Larrivee D40R, but there's very little to whine about my LL16 that if you're looking at a 36, I can't imagine it being less than perfect.
Old 11-18-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
totally agree with you...get the LL36/or 56 and fit the anthem in and you have a winner..
Old 11-18-2020, 12:22 PM

These comparisons quite often become defensive battles.
As a guitar player, we develop an ear for a certain sound.

I fall into this category myself.
My ear is in tune with the "Martin" sound.
It is very different from the 'Taylor" sound.

I find Yamaha to have it's own sound but it favors the Martin sound to me.
Because of this, I have owned Yamaha guitars my whole guitar life. ]over 40 years]

Long story, short.
I like the sound of Yamaha over that of Taylor.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion