The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-12-2020, 05:04 PM

Default WHERE YOU SIT MAKES A DIFF !

Hi,
With especially classical guitar it makes a big difference where in the room you keep your music stand and seat...
I had my stand and seat in a fixed place in my room for years and thought little about it..But I recently rearranged couple things and seat was moved to a corner..This made a huge diff in how I hear my guitar (Cordoba C10)...
It projects across the room and thus has more reverberation and volume, more like sitting in a large hall...This in turn allows me to pluck lighter and feel dynamics; get more sensitive in my playing...You may just want to experiment with this..
Old 11-12-2020, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Are you facing the corner or do you have your back to the corner? Either way, have you tried switching? I find that facing a corner or even a wall amplifies the volume and clarity. FWIW.
Old 11-13-2020, 01:11 AM

Since he said, “projects across the room,” I’m guessing he means facing away from the corner.

Keith Richards said in an interview that Robert Johnson and others recorded with the microphone—or gramophone, I guess—in a corner. He called it corner loading, and I think that means playing into the corner.

Last edited by NormanKliman; 11-13-2020 at 04:19 AM.
Old 11-14-2020, 06:27 PM

Yes, I did mean facing away from the corner so sound travels and gets amplified along with a smidge natural reverb / the bouncing off of things..

The natural guitar is an instrument which utilizes and even relies on its surroundings to make itself heard to the maximum at each venue it sounds in..
Before electricity guitaristas, if you will, would find rock and cement village plazas to find the biggest audiences due to the way those 2-3 substances refracted outward to the people going about their ways, many stopping to listen for hours, the wine flowing into the evening.......
Same reason stone Royal castles had lutenists, and harpsichordist plucking away daily and nightly; the way we today will switch on the AM/FM as we go about our ways..That's Entertainment.. [a Great American Song Book show tune !]........
Wha !!??? Did I just say that ?!!

Thanks,
Happy tidings in the new year,
Mark

Last edited by MarkinLA; 11-14-2020 at 06:37 PM.
Old 11-16-2020, 11:23 PM

I live in a log home and I swear sounds made on the lower level are louder in the loft above. Is it just my imagination or is that possible?

Last edited by Cecil6243; 11-20-2020 at 07:15 PM.
Old 11-17-2020, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanKliman View Post
Keith Richards said in an interview that Robert Johnson and others recorded with the microphone—or gramophone, I guess—in a corner. He called it corner loading, and I think that means playing into the corner.
Robert Johnson was facing into the corner for the recording. He was shy. This increases the mid-range EQ.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 11-17-2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
Robert Johnson was facing into the corner for the recording. He was shy.
You couldn’t know that. Did you read it somewhere or are you just making it up?
Quote:
This increases the mid-range EQ.
I experimented a little with this over the weekend and noticed a “more compact” sound. Further testing needed.
Old 11-17-2020, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You couldn’t know that. Did you read it somewhere or are you just making it up?

I experimented a little with this over the weekend and noticed a “more compact” sound. Further testing needed.
Of coarse I read it. Why would I make it up? It's the reason for the RJ recordings having such a different sound compared to other recordings of the time and the place even. It's a one mic recording and you can hear the A7 chord on the eighth fret very clearly. It's not plinky. The story was backed up by other people being recorded at the time. Reporting that they saw where RJ was set up in the corner. Though they didn't know who he was. I've read allot of books about American music history. From the performers to the publishers and the people who did the recording.

Old 11-18-2020, 01:46 AM

Quote:
...I've read allot of books about American music history. From the performers to the publishers and the people who did the recording.
What are the titles of these books, and who are the authors?
Old 11-18-2020, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
What are the titles of these books, and who are the authors?
At first I wasn't going to answer as I didn't want to go through the work. But I glanced at the book case and here are some.

Escaping the Delta by Elijah Wald
Blues Makers by Samuel Charters
I Say Me for a Parable by Glen Alyn (the real story of country bluesmen)
Red River Blues by Bruce Bastin
The Country Blues by Samuael B. Charters
Ralph Peer by Barry Mazor

Old 11-18-2020, 10:23 AM

Well, I doubt that all of those books say that Robert Johnson was shy and recorded into a corner, but I’ll check them out. We should probably take this somewhere else as it has nothing to do with classical guitar. Feel free to PM me if you want.
Old 11-18-2020, 10:33 AM

Some recordings have the mic facing into the corrner so you would have to face the corner but the mic would be picking up reflected sound from the walls.
Some piano recordings are mic'd very close but an extra mic is put facing the corner of the room to add air. One of the best mics for using in this way used to be the conference mic which sat on a flat plate. They were very cheap from that chain of stores that used to sell electronics and stuff in every town...Tandys.
Nick

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical