The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-17-2020, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

Default Pick wear on top - repair & clear pickguard

Hi folks,

Please see pic. Would like to repair a pick wear spot on the top of my 2016 Martin 00-28. Thinking dab it with some matching shade stain/varnish and then cover it with a clear pick guard "extention" to protect that area moving forward. Would appreciate your thoughts on repair and where I could find that clear pick guard to be placed adjacent to the factory one that's on the guitar. Would one come pre-cut for this or not ?

THANKS!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0028.jpg (31.4 KB, 80 views)
Old 11-17-2020, 05:56 PM

If that guitar were for sale I'd rather buy it with honest wear than with a home brew repair of honest wear. But I understand the desire to restore it. I'd let a pro handle it.
Old 11-17-2020, 06:27 PM

Clear pick guard material can be purchased at Stewart McDonalds and Luthiers Mercantile, cut to shape, with self adhesive. Pre cut shapes are also available, but if you elect to do this (I wouldn't), doubtful you would find a shape you like.

Many years ago I acquired a guitar whose original owner improperly peeled its clear pickguard off, damaging the finish in the process. I took it to an experienced guitar repair professional to see if he could fix it, repair the finish and replace the clear pickguard.

He said he could, but that I wouldn't like the result, that it would look worse than the damaged finish. Instead, I opted for a solid pickguard that protected and covered the damaged finish.
'86 Flatiron A5-JR
'15 Pono N-30DC

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion