The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-15-2020, 02:12 PM

The D2H has a Modified V neck profile. If you are moving your OM-28V because of the Modified V shaped neck, the D2H neck profile probably would not work for you. I happen to love the Collings Modified V neck profile as well as my Martin Modified V necks.
Old 11-15-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
The two reasons that I would choose the Collins are,
What is a Collins? An Irish guitar?

Sorry...feeling a bit cheeky
Old 11-15-2020, 07:40 PM

I recently discovered the Yamaha L series (26 and up). I also watched JP Cormier review an LJ26, LL36 and LL56. All I can say is, "wow!". All three sounded incredible. The LL56 was the best but we are talking big money in Canada. I am going to keep my eye out for an LJ or LL 26 or 36. I know dealers have them but I would love to come across a used one. I am definitely getting one at some point though.
Old 11-16-2020, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
I understand what you do, but the reality is that the average North American consumer doesn’t. They are very rare birds over here and not readily available to play. For a myriad of reasons they simply are not in high demand over here. With lower demand comes lower prices. I’m sure the overall reasons for the North American pricing structure is much more complicated than that, but demand clearly plays in.

The jig will be up at some point once the word continues to get out, and sure enough the prices will probably get insane over here too eventually.
Well, as you know I had heard a rumour a few months back from a Yamaha employee, and repeated by a third-party dealer that MIJ L-series production was possibly winding down forever... as of within the last few days they are no longer listed on the retail website for Yamaha UK... 6s and 16s only now available or available to order. That said, 26/36/56s are still shown on the main corporate website, but that could be because there is still the odd straggler out there in the retail channels. That said, based on Yamaha's obviously strange strategies maybe they just aren't selling them *here* anymore... who knows what's going on!
Old 11-16-2020, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
Your last words are very accurate I think. Those who know, they know.

This guy knows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3ZFZ8n2WoI

"........

The 26/36/56 range are worlds apart from the 16 range. They are not even comparable.
I found it funny that JP was reviewing a Yamaha while wearing a Boucher shirt.
But the 56 he is playing sounds beautiful. It has amazing harmonic content as compared to the Boucher guitars he demoed, which have a more direct sound. (England’s VS Adirondack?). The few Collins I have played were drier sounding as well but they were all new. It all comes down to preference.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 11-16-2020, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27R View Post
Well, as you know I had heard a rumour a few months back from a Yamaha employee, and repeated by a third-party dealer that MIJ L-series production was possibly winding down forever... as of within the last few days they are no longer listed on the retail website for Yamaha UK... 6s and 16s only now available or available to order. That said, 26/36/56s are still shown on the main corporate website, but that could be because there is still the odd straggler out there in the retail channels. That said, based on Yamaha's obviously strange strategies maybe they just aren't selling them *here* anymore... who knows what's going on!
Man I hope you’re wrong. What a shame that would be.

Glad I got mine when I did.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 11-16-2020, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
I found it funny that JP was reviewing a Yamaha while wearing a Boucher shirt.
But the 56 he is playing sounds beautiful. It has amazing harmonic content as compared to the Boucher guitars he demoed, which have a more direct sound. (England’s VS Adirondack?). The few Collins I have played were drier sounding as well but they were all new. It all comes down to preference.
Well he does love both brands to the hilt so I don’t see why not

I suspect he’s got a Yamaha T somewhere too knowing that guy. He has been a Yamaha guy for as long as I can remember, and I’ve been following him for some time.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 11-17-2020, 12:10 PM

Wow I didn't expect so many comments. Just to clear a few things up. I'm in Canada and not the UK. Our pricing here might be higher then the US but not crazy high like the UK. Here for a LL36 I am looking at $3900 for the LL56 $5600. For the Collings D2H its $6000 plus the custom charge for the neck. As one of you pointed out the Martin I'm selling because of the V Neck is the same neck as the stock Collings but you can order it with a C shape instead.

So in both cases its will be a wait for the guitar. Resale loss doesn't bother me. I have been though enough guitars in my life that now I am looking for the one. Brand doesn't bother me either as its all about the sound. Closest I have got is the LL16 which is why I am leaning to the Yamahas. But about 2 years ago I strummed my first Collings and it really was like a come to jesus moment that I haven't forgot. I may have uttered a profanity that caused the clerks to look up a laugh. But then I looked at the price tag of $9500 and I put it back. Was a custom model.

I had a thought over the weekend too. What if its not the brand of guitar but the size. The LL16 I bought is the first jumbo I have played. That might be the sound I am after. So now I'm am thinking that maybe I need to find some Martin J's and M's to try.

I know I am gonna pull the trigger in January so I am gonna get out and play what I can find. I just know that The Yamaha will always be buy before you try as no one has them. Any Members In BC Canada that have one want to Jam

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion