The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-31-2019, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

Default Brazilian Kostal Trifecta Hat-Trick ThreePeat Birth Year Guitar!

I have had quite the journey with Jason Kostal as he is a dear close friend and also the father of two of my guitars Many of you following the custom shop already are familiar with my previous Kostal build threads.

The first was what started it for me as I just played my first Somogyi and Michael Watts steered me to Jason as he was apprenticing with Ervin. Jason was near Washington DC visiting friends and that's when I invited him over to my place to talk guitars. Little did I know that it would start the Kostal guitar journey for me. It is a fun build thread with over 102,000 views! You can read all about it here (My friend jokes with me saying this was a thread that birthed a few Kostals ):

Brazilian/German Mod-D
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=205642

After my first Kostal, I knew I loved what Jason was doing and I put money down on two more Kostals. My second Kostal was fun because I was torn between two sets of wood on the Mod-D. 3 years later, that wood was still available and I went with it While the first guitar had a beautiful figure, this set of Brazilian was one of Jason's straightest sets. He built me an incredible OM which was also AGF's 2015 Guitar of the Year:

Brazilian/German OMC
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=271036

What could I do with the third Kostal to make it special. Last year, I contacted Jason giving him great news that we were expecting our second child. I thought, how fun would it be to do a birth year guitar! (I also have a birth year Bigfoot Mod-D Guitar coming here: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=523232) We have decided on an MDW at this time for a number of reasons. The woods will be Brazilian/German and we will try to make this one super special in honor of the birth of my daughter, Emmaline Ray. We were expecting here in early February, but she came to us 5 weeks early on Jan 2! Hopefully this Kostal build thread will be as fun as the others. It certainly will be a special one for me!

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D

Last edited by ericcsong; 01-31-2019 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:16 PM

May i be the first on this thread to congratulate you Eric on the birth of your daughter! No better reason to commission a new guitar...
Old 01-31-2019, 09:48 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Congrats pal! Two is unfortunately more than double the work, but maybe the guitar will be more than twice as good! 😁
Old 02-01-2019, 06:02 AM

Eric, How well I remember that epic thread - great days. Time passes so quickly!

You are crazy - 3 Kostals?!

I have to say though that the MDW shape / size is where I think it is at. You get a lot of that big fat MD sound but in a package that's much easier to deal with. I'm not sure why that should be, given that its a similar size to the OM, but small differences do seem to have a big effect on tone etc.

But Braz German again? Why not try something a little different to ring the changes? I have been so impressed by what luthiers are doing with so many different and varied woods these days. Jason has all sorts of stuff.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 02-01-2019, 09:14 AM

Congratulations Eric!! I think that German/Braz will be a winner, stick to what you know works Not to mention that it would be really nice for them all to have a similar influence from the tonewoods, with the different bodies to shape their voices. Looking forward to this one!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 02-01-2019, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Smile Congratulations

Congratulations and way to go!

The guitars are lovely and the shot of your daughter with her Kostal T-shirt is too cool! Some kind of record?

This will be more fun to follow...

Enjoy the process and play for her every day!

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 02-01-2019, 10:15 AM

Wow, what a great story. I so wish you could come to the guitar event with Jason and Michael both being here. Seems like it was put together just for you LOL!

Last edited by TomB'sox; 02-01-2019 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Default Congrats!

So many blessings. Your Kostal's are beautiful but Emmaline Ray is the crown jewel of that picture. Congratulations are in order on so many levels.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:33 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Congrats Eric. Your daughter is lovely. Love the shirt! I hope to have one of those soon. I am thrilled to think you and I will have MDWs in the shop at the same time. But your story is way cooler than mine.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Congrats on your new bundle of joy and the new guitar!

Best,
Jayne
Old 02-01-2019, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

A Kostal onesie is a serious commitment. The thing I like about guitars is that you don’t have to change their diapers.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
May i be the first on this thread to congratulate you Eric on the birth of your daughter! No better reason to commission a new guitar...
Thanks so much! I think its a great reason! Wish I used this reason on my first son Is it too late two years later?

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
Congrats pal! Two is unfortunately more than double the work, but maybe the guitar will be more than twice as good! ��
I thought with the second child, it was way more than double the work! That means this guitar will really be good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
But Braz German again? Why not try something a little different to ring the changes? I have been so impressed by what luthiers are doing with so many different and varied woods these days. Jason has all sorts of stuff.
Thanks Steve! I have to admit, I am a Brazilian-holic I think if I chose other woods, I could potentially think, would Brazilian have been better? When I get a Brazilian guitar, I rarely ever think, would so and so rosewood have been better? I'll make you a deal, when I get my next few Kostals, I'll do something different

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
Congratulations Eric!! I think that German/Braz will be a winner, stick to what you know works Not to mention that it would be really nice for them all to have a similar influence from the tonewoods, with the different bodies to shape their voices. Looking forward to this one!
My thoughts exactly They all sound a little bit different, don't they

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
The guitars are lovely and the shot of your daughter with her Kostal T-shirt is too cool! Some kind of record?

This will be more fun to follow...

Enjoy the process and play for her every day!
Thanks Paul! Will try to play for her every day. Seems like I played more for the first born. Juggling two is interesting indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Wow, what a great story. I so wish you could come to the guitar event with Jason and Michael both being here. Seems like it was put together just for you LOL!
Tom, I really wish I can be there! With the sleepness nights, it could be a challenge. Who knows what it'll be like closer to the event

Quote:
Originally Posted by prickards View Post
So many blessings. Your Kostal's are beautiful but Emmaline Ray is the crown jewel of that picture. Congratulations are in order on so many levels.
I like to think so about Emmaline

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Congrats Eric. Your daughter is lovely. Love the shirt! I hope to have one of those soon. I am thrilled to think you and I will have MDWs in the shop at the same time. But your story is way cooler than mine.
I think better her in the onsie than me! Can't wait to play our guitars together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
Congrats on your new bundle of joy and the new guitar!
Thanks Jayne!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
A Kostal onesie is a serious commitment. The thing I like about guitars is that you don’t have to change their diapers.
The onesie is serious indeed you don't have to change diapers, but I still wipe them down

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D

Last edited by ericcsong; 02-04-2020 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

So awesome! Congrats on the baby and another Kostal in the pipe, such a fun experience.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:29 AM

Congratulations Eric!!
Kostal MDC Swiss Moon/Brazilian Rosewood
Kostal OMC German/Brazilian Rosewood
Olson SJC Cedar/Brazilian Rosewood
Lowden O-50C Sinker Redwood/African Blackwood :
Don Sharp SJC Adirondack/Brazilian Rosewood
Old 02-06-2019, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

This looks amazing many congrats. Jason’s work is amazing

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop