The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Do You Prefer Your Guitar To Have a Pickguard?
Yes 81 60.00%
No 54 40.00%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-26-2020, 04:18 AM

No real preference either way but I'm not keen on ornate ones, Hummingbirds etc.
Old 01-26-2020, 04:31 AM

Andy, I agree with you about pickguards on mandolins. Of course, on archtop mandolins they’re suspended above the top and are more like finger rests than the pickguards on flattop guitars.

One of my earliest mandolins had a pickguard on it, but I pulled it off because it rattled and just got in my way. The strings are so much higher off a mandolin’s top than they are off a flattop guitar’s top, too, that I just don’t need pickguards on my mandolins, either.

The one other bandmate who plays my mandolins with any kind of regularity has good control over his right hand attack, too, so there’s no danger from that quarter.

As for the sort of doofuses and dorks who’ll just grab your instruments off their stands and attempt to play them without asking permission first, that can be a real problem with guitars, but not with mandolins, oddly enough. Maybe just not as many people consider themselves as mandolinists as consider themselves guitarists.

That’s got to be the reason: there certainly are plenty of idiots who decide to show the world their awesome guitar chops whenever one has been left momentarily unattended....

whm
Old 01-26-2020, 04:43 AM

Get both

Old 01-26-2020, 04:45 AM

It could use an 'it depends' I wouldn't want one on my Koa GS Mini, but a Hummingbird without a pickguard...?
Old 01-26-2020, 06:35 AM

I have no pickguard on my 12 string Ovation or my Altamira sel-mac copy. But I added one to my Eastman archtop as it completes the look and gives me a place for the volume and tone controls for the floating neck pickup I added.

I made a pickguard to match the cocobolo fretboard, points and armrest on my cedar topped F4 mandolin. It looks great and protects the soft cedar soundboard.

Both of these are archtop styles that mount to the neck extension and aren't in contact with the instrument top.

I really don't care for the cheap looking plastic pickguards most mfrs glue to the top of the soundboard.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:02 AM

I've never understood the point of a pickguards. I assume they are used to protect the wood from damage. The same wood you will never see because you covered it with a piece of ugly plastic?
Old 01-26-2020, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
I prefer no guard. Ten years of flatpciking with not scratches. I guess I've got good aim
I have bad aim. Nobody is going to name a guitar after me, for sure! My next guitar is coming without a pickguard, but it's a redwood top and the clear guards show up and look funky on dark tops, IMHO. I think an opaque guard would ruin the looks of this one (not always the case). I guess I'll have to develop better aim.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:29 AM

Yay for me. (Looks rather than practicality).

Dreadnoughts and jumbo's especially.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

I hadn't thought about it and I guess I am neutral, But as a horse owner I do not like Cattleguards

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 01-26-2020, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
I prefer no guard. Ten years of flatpciking with not scratches. I guess I've got good aim
Those are beautiful, and safe to say your technique differs substantially from Willies

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 01-26-2020, 09:56 AM

Don't mind Martin style guards, but really dislike Taylors and most Gibsons, so I vote no guard.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Andy, I agree with you about pickguards on mandolins. Of course, on archtop mandolins they’re suspended above the top and are more like finger rests than the pick guards on flattop guitars.

...snip....

As for the sort of doofuses and dorks who’ll just grab your instruments off their stands and attempt to play them without asking permission first, that can be a real problem with guitars, but not with mandolins, oddly enough. Maybe just not as many people consider themselves as mandolinists as consider themselves guitarists.

whm
Whaaaa ???

NOBODY TOUCHES MY GUITARS AND LIVES!!!!

I've been asked if someone can play my guitar, and last year, I was surprised that two visiting American musicians offered me their guitars to check out - when I've shown interest. but I've NEVER had anyone just "assume" they could pick up a guitar.

..... calming down now - here's my lovely mandolin ... peace.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0501.jpg (49.2 KB, 68 views)
Old 01-26-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Reinhart View Post
I've never understood the point of a pickguards. I assume they are used to protect the wood from damage. The same wood you will never see because you covered it with a piece of ugly plastic?
Exactly! Wouldn't it make more sense to start without one and at some point if it's getting nicked up just put the pickguard over then?
Old 01-26-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
If there is to be a pickguard, I'd prefer it to be clear. Why have great wood, then hide it?
Because you don't want your guitar looking like Trigger?
Old 01-26-2020, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alien View Post
I prefer them. For me, it makes the guitar look complete.
This ++++

My only exception is a parlor guitar.

Blues

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion