I'm a Believer - The Monkees 2 3.17%
Yesterday - The Beatles 53 84.13%
Baby Love - The Supremes 0 0%
Paint it Black - The Rolling Stones 2 3.17%
The night they drove Old Dixie Down - The Band 6 9.52%
Tin Soldier - The Small Faces 0 0%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-26-2020, 01:40 AM

Location: 4 miles from Abbey Road, 5 miles from Page's Gibson(maybe), 120 miles from the Richards's mansion(I think)
Default Which 1960's Classic composition will endure the most

Sorry it's a somewhat idle question given with possible troll-ish nationalistic competative undertones, especially as I think I already know the answer- but hey it's Saturday night in foggy old London and I'm annoyed with myself for being stuck to my PC, so I thought I'd externalize.

On a slightly more serious level I think dedicated musicians like most acoustic players seem to be are may be the best judges of underlying qualities of songs in the same way an experienced car mechanic may be able to determine which is the best car design regardless of construction quality.
Old 01-26-2020, 02:37 AM

Opted for Yesterday, although on a personal level I've heard it more than enough to last several lifetimes.

I would have gone with the Ronettes, Be My Baby( one of the greatest pop songs ever) rather than Baby Love.
Old 01-26-2020, 04:21 AM

Location: 4 miles from Abbey Road, 5 miles from Page's Gibson(maybe), 120 miles from the Richards's mansion(I think)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
Opted for Yesterday, although on a personal level I've heard it more than enough to last several lifetimes.

I would have gone with the Ronettes, Be My Baby( one of the greatest pop songs ever) rather than Baby Love.
Yes was kind of hoping Yesterday that would be the accepted answer across the water as well, if they were able to turn a blind eye to somewhat immature or primitive production/musicianship techniques that the Beatles may have had back in 1965.

Ronettes be my Baby seems to a have a very special combination of quite a relentless driving melody and interesting unpredictable lyrics.

I chose BABY LOVE because of the specific lyric 'What did I do wrong?', it's a perennial question that keeps popping up in human history, and without wanting come across a stereotyper it's also seems to be a very American question.

I guess with regard to actually downloading it or buying a physical copy of any of these song what they might think us 'aliens' are doing wrong is slapping a great big duty on it, they might think is is weird given that it's obviously a lot more practical to tax a physical product coming from them or any other country rather than an invisible items like an easily replicated product of the cultural/economic intellect.

Sorry to digress into loads of personal crap but to get back your point my personal choice of the Supremes genre would have been Freda Paynes ' 'Band' of Gold', .

On the actual question options I am split between Yesterday and The Night They drove Old Dixie Down in term of the on that may still be played in say 500 years time. Ultimately I guess it depends on whose plugging which song at the time and what their incentive is - ie personal profit
Old 01-26-2020, 06:14 AM

My ex wife used to always complain, snivel, and groan years ago when I was younger and would be working around the house on projects, cleaning up, organizing and such and would hum songs by The Monkees. I never took her serious.

And then I saw her face.

Yesterday is a great song, but it's too serious. The night I drove old Dixie down tends to ramble.

I'm a Believer always puts me in a GOOD mood. Just thinking about Micky Dolenz makes me smile.

See, I did it again.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 01-26-2020, 06:50 AM
Charter Member

I liked the Monkees too... I saw them in 1969... at first
they were just teevee actors and The Wrecking Crew
played most of the music on their albums...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wrecking_Crew_(music)

Since they were capable (mostly ) musicians, they hated
and were embarrassed by the corporate reasons that
they didn't record the music at first... their wiki page is
an interesting read:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monkees

-Mike
Old 01-26-2020, 06:51 AM

Louie Louie- Kingsmen
2019 Collings Baby 2he
Prior: Too many to list
Old 01-26-2020, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

After reading the title but before reading the choices, my impulse was that it would be something from the Beatles. The popularity of the Beatles, especially given their relatively short time they toured and recorded together, has transcended their music. Yesterday is a classic....
Old 01-26-2020, 07:05 AM

There were a lot of great songs, and artists (Ray Charles comes to mind) in the sixties, so I'll just throw in the biggest seller, albeit it didn't make "number one" in 1965!-----------WOOLY BULLY!

Fog
Old 01-26-2020, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

Yesterday...because it’s easily the best song on the list...the best songs will always endure...
Old 01-26-2020, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

It doesn’t surprise me that Yesterday has taken an early lead in the poll. It is one of the all time greats, of any decade.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 01-26-2020, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Very hard to know exactly what "will endure the most " actually means ?

I think I have probably heard either Yesterday or Paint it Black, played the more often over the years. But I would give the edge to Paint it Black.

Although I understand "You've Lost That Loving Feeling " is arguably the most performed song from the 60s by a significant margin, as it held the record as the most performed song of all time for 20 some years from the 60's to the 80 s

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 01-26-2020 at 08:49 AM.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
...I think I have probably heard either Yesterday or Paint it Black, played the more often over the years. But I would give the edge to Paint it Black
While I invariably agree with you most of the time Kev, we've got to part company on this one. After all, 10 million elevators can't possibly be wrong...
Old 01-26-2020, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
While I invariably agree with you most of the time Kev, we've got to part company on this one. After all, 10 million elevators can't possibly be wrong...
I'm not sure there are any elevators in Wyoming But Paint it Black was one of the few Rock& Roll songs on virtually every saloon jukebox, and then Cassette and CD collections

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 01-26-2020, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I'm not sure there are any elevators in Wyoming
So how could you possibly know???
Old 01-26-2020, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
So how could you possibly know???
Well I am gettin' old, but I do think know (as I mentioned) what "I have heard And if I have missed out on the elevator experience that's OK because they are dangerous ,, you know there is nothing between the floor and bottom of the shaft

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic