The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-07-2020, 11:02 AM

Default How long does a good setup last?

Hi, if the environment doesn’t really change and the guitar isn’t damaged physically how long does a good setup last?

I am debating whether or not I should learn how to do it myself. But if it’s like a $125 price once or twice over a guitars lifetime then I might as well just pay my way out of the problem and focus more on getting better at playing.
Old 08-07-2020, 12:17 PM

Assuming zero environmental changes (a big assumption), a setup will last a long, long time.

Eventually the frets, the nut slots and the saddle will wear a little, effectively lowering the action - but that will take many years.

If you are really particular about your action, and/or you don't have excellent control of your environment, it is likely you'll need to tweak the truss rod once or twice a year to maintain perfect neck relief.

Understanding neck relief, how to measure it and how to tweak it is a very important aspect of acoustic guitar. Whether or not you choose to learn how to do your own setups, you should absolutely learn about relief and adjusting it. Don't worry, it's quite simple!
Old 08-07-2020, 04:39 PM

''ANY'' set up is permanent...but one MUST consider 'natural' outside factors contribute to changes affecting the set up as is,hence..Temp fluctuations AFFECT.

Wood [under tension]..moves [influenced] by temp.=The neck is under constant tension via the Rod [when it has been correctly adjusted etc]& SIMULTANEOUSLY..by the strings[There tension at pitch].
Thus the 'perfect' set up will/can change & maybe require some minor attention to maintain it.This is accepted as the norm.
Any adjustments/changes will be minor to keep the gtr at its best 'playing condition'etc.

Many players learn to DIY it accordingly.Some rely upon a gtr technician or one with the expertise/experience& COMPETENCE to do so etc.

With playing use in general expect the frets to wear down eventually,enough to cause fret buzz etc.Eradicated by a light ''Leveling' of the frets etc.Frets can be L & C'ed a few times before..a refret considered![Expensive rectification but necessary etc]
The NUT;String slots can..wear & cause issues=Rectified by replacement & slots filed to desired depth.The Saddle: It too can wear etc,Replace & then lower to height preference etc.
Adjusting the RELIEF via the rod=One does not adjust the Relief to raise/lower the Action.One adjusts the Relief to change[with deliberation] the curvature of the neck.
So a set up is permanent yes..the changes for 'improvement/Enhancement now made but the gtr will change 'Subtly' because of outside influences naturally thus expect to tweek the adjustments accordingly if/when necessarily to maintain the desired set up desired.
Old 08-07-2020, 04:47 PM

If you have a single guitar get someone to do it and it will last a long time. If you have say, 30 guitars or you plan on having more than one guitar, learn to do it. Literally takes a few seconds to evaluate and make minute change each time you change the strings and keep it in check.

Unless you're out there day in and day out whipping that guitars *** there's not reason for it to change much at all. That's been my experience over the last 25 years.

25 year old $75 Fender DG7, spruce top, NATO back and side, NATO neck, Rosewood bridge and fingerboard, Graphtech Tusq nut and saddle, $2.50 MF Strings, .38 pick.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamenramen View Post
I am debating whether or not I should learn how to do it myself. But if it’s like a $125 price once or twice over a guitars lifetime then I might as well just pay my way out of the problem and focus more on getting better at playing.
Absolutley learn,

but.......

A good setup is not simply a set of figures, a good setup is knowing what is required of that particular guitar to get it to sit at a desired height and feel and being able to deal with those intricancies.

A lot of guys post that they have never done it before but they did an excellent setup first time around, to me thats like saying I bought a new car last month and i did a service myself came up great, compared to a car that has been driven on the road for a few years, pulls left has a few vibrations and needs to be serviced.

Point they are not the same, invest the money get it setup properly at least once so you know what it can be.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 08-08-2020, 07:43 PM
Charter Member

There's no reason a good setup shouldn't last for several years. As mentioned, with humidity or string gauge changes, you may need to adjust the truss rod once in a while. But you shouldn't require a full setup for many years.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:16 PM
AGF Sponsor

I don't think there's a definitive answer to that question. Do you like incredibly low slinky action or higher tight action for snappy ragtime? Do you play hours every day or once a month? There's also personal body chemistry that comes into play -- one of my shopmates who builds classicals had someone come back for a refret on a new guitar after 6 months with most of the finish worn off the neck and the frets almost gone. These were EVO frets (harder than standard) and it was baffling how someone could wear through them so quickly. He re-fret and re-finished and in another 6 months the same thing had happened. Many of his clients are full time players (ie. hours and hours of practice a day) who won't need a setup for a year or two and a refret for much much longer.

I typically tweak the truss rod on my personal guitars throughout the year with seasonal changes but will only touch the nut or saddle every two years or so (and I play an hour or two a day). I'd say it's worth learning the basics and similarly learning how to diagnose when a setup is needed. I don't think, however, that it's worth marking on a calendar when you're "supposed" to get a setup!
instagram
Old 08-08-2020, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamenramen View Post
Hi, if the environment doesn’t really change and the guitar isn’t damaged physically how long does a good setup last?

If there's no environmental change (which is highly unlikely...) then the length of time your setup stays the same is going to depend entirely on what your guitar is made from and precisely how it was made. Even instruments with the same pedigree and model number will vary somewhat, so there's no real answer anyone can give to this question.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair