The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-02-2020, 07:39 AM

Default I have a friend who wants a pick up in his classical. Is the K & K classical as popul

Is the K & K classical as popular on nylon as the K&K pure mini is for steel strings ?
What else do you suggest?
Old 08-02-2020, 01:01 PM

Schatten HFN-C is the nylon-string brother of the normal HFN, which has gotten lots of good reviews here on the forum. As it happens, I accidentally bought a "C" model, so I have a used (still in unopened package) one available. PM me if he might be interested.
Old 08-02-2020, 03:12 PM

I have a K&K in my classical as I have and had K&K in my steel stringed instruments. Next time I would go for a Schatten or a UltraTonic in my nylon string. K&K is too boomy.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 08-02-2020, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whvick View Post
Is the K & K classical as popular on nylon as the K&K pure mini is for steel strings ?
What else do you suggest?
Hi whvick

K&K make a classical pickup. It was called the Pure Classic and had 4 elements instead of three. They sound/perform well.

I don't know if they still sell them, but a quick inquiry to their site or phone number would likely answer it.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-02-2020, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman68 View Post
I have a K&K in my classical as I have and had K&K in my steel stringed instruments. Next time I would go for a Schatten or a UltraTonic in my nylon string. K&K is too boomy.

Do you have a K&K steel or classical/nylon in it?
Old 08-03-2020, 02:47 PM

I have a K&K classical in my classical - it has four elements. I have a lot experience with the installation of soundboard transducers starting with K&K years ago. Installed K&Ks in many steel string guitars (6&12-string), mandolin, weissenborn, banjo, mandola, bouzouki, ukulele, acoustic arch top guitar - even baritone and 7-stringed brazilian guitar. From my experience I knew that installing K&K in an instrument with no bridge plate can be tricky sound wise. Had that in flat top bouzouki before - placement is much more crucial than it is on steel string guitars. But no mater what I tried, I could not find a nice sound. Only reason the K&K is still in my classical is I do not need it very often. Then I help myself with dramatic high pass filtering and low mid EQ.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 08-03-2020, 10:05 PM

What about
Kremona
KNA NG-1 Piezo Pickup for Nylon String Guitar?
Old 08-04-2020, 06:26 AM
Charter Member

I mostly play steel string but I wanted to have a nylon, so got a Cervantes I from the AGF classifieds, used. It came with a Highlander II installed. I don't play out these days so I don't use that system, but I tried it a few times with my 60W acoustic amp/speaker at home, and it sounds good to me.

There is also a Highlander I. The difference is that the II allows one to add an external "in the guitar body" mic for extra ambience (the player blends the signal). Mine does not have that additional mic. The "I" or main element is a UST.

Out of curiosity, I browsed the AGF for comments on this model and found a few discussions. Pretty positive but one thing stood out for at least 2 folks. The "I" was good enough. They felt that in the end, they didn't really need that little extra something from the 2nd mic for what they were doing.

So, your friend might look into a Highlander I.

John

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics
Old 08-08-2020, 06:19 PM
AGF Sponsor

Here's little demo of my Ultra Tonic pickup in Eastman's new Cabaret model, a version based on John Buscarino's arch back nylon string. The model is just coming out now, this was one of the first ones made at Eastman.

James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification