The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-02-2020, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Default What is up with Paypal

Anyone having problems dealing with Paypal lately? I bought a couple of solar birdbaths from a seller two months ago. Never got the items, complained to seller, who sent poorly worded emails about my needing to be patient while the items ship from China, perhaps 1-3 months (which wasn't disclosed upfront). Seller sent me links to Chinese shipping company, which didn't show any tracking whatsoever. Asked for refund but have been ignored. Opened a dispute with Paypal June 12, supposed to be resolved in July. Paypal keeps pushing resolution date, was July 6, then July 17, then Aug 6, now Aug 19.

I think I will not be using Paypal anymore...
Old 08-03-2020, 02:29 AM
Charter Member

I gave up on them a few years back. Sometimes it's an inconvenience, but not often.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:22 AM

They have been quietly changing their policies over the last year or two. Recently, I had a go around with the company that publishes an anti virus software (Malware Bytes under the umbrella of Cleverbridge). They had put me on a renewing subscription. However, I was never notified that the subscription was about to renew and once it did, there was no recourse. After quite a few emails, I barely received an acknowledgment, and no satisfaction, or refund. Simply, beware of PayPal, and beware of the subscription racket.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:41 AM

Paypal............ Don't get me started!!!!!

YouTube
Old 08-03-2020, 05:37 AM
Charter Member

I had a similar situation with an item purchased from a Chinese company. Never received the item even though I had a tracking number that it had shipped.

It took a while, but after opening a case with Paypal, I did finally get our money back.

Hope this works our for you.

D
Old 08-03-2020, 05:51 AM
Musical minimalist

I don't think your problem is as much paypal as the seller - the ONLY time I was completely ripped off on an Ebay purchase was when I bought a DVD before realizing it was "shipping from China".

My suggestion (to save a lot of stress) is to let it go and consider it a lesson.

Old 08-03-2020, 06:14 AM

Personally, I would try to avoid buying anything from China via the internet.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-03-2020, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

Lately two of my friends bought high dollar items dirt cheap from China using PayPal and got ripped off. First they both got the runaround. Then they got something else. One got a pair of fake Ray Bans and the other got a package of dust masks. Then the runaround again. But when they both filed a complaint for a refund, PayPal responded that their records showed the item delivered, in other words, the fake sunglasses and the dust masks. PayPal doesn't know what was delivered, just that something was delivered. Rip off artists are clever. Anyway, PayPal is not a person, it is a huge computer program. The responses are generated. There is no person dealing with these millions of transactions every day. You can't reason with a computer program and getting a thinking human being involved in the process is near impossible.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:04 AM

I have been banging my head against the walls of Paypal for over twelve months. It all started with a mistake BY THEM which created a paradox Gene Roddenberry would be proud of.

Paypal placed a limitation on my account and asked me for more information to correct their mistake. They threatened to close my account if I didn't supply the information so I said OK, close my account.

A few days later I received a message from them saying they couldn't close the account due to there being a limitation on it and I would have to provide more information to lift the limitation.

I refused to supply this as it didn't make sense.

They said if I didn't supply the information they would close my account.

I said OK, close my account

A few days later I received a message from them saying they couldn't close the account due to there being a limitation on it and I would have to provide more information to lift the limitation.

and so it goes on......... and on........ and on........................................

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
................You can't reason with a computer program and getting a thinking human being involved in the process is near impossible.
I have spoken on the phone to several humans at Paypal but unfortunately, none of them were of the 'thinking' variety.

YouTube
Old 08-03-2020, 10:04 AM

I gave up on PayPal years ago.

They are not a credit card company. You don't have the protections a credit card company has. You are at their mercy for a resolution. Not me, not anymore.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Most companies have a policy that they charge PayPal at the time of the transaction, not when shipping happens, which is what is most typical, if not part of the rules (or once was), when you charge directly to a credit card. I don't think the vendor can put a hold against your PayPal account they way they can with a credit card, so if you're approved by PayPal, they take the money while they know they can.

It does create a potential problem, so I'd probably not use it for direct-from-China/HK/Taiwan sales, at least not big ones. I've bought cheap cables, camera batteries, and such that way off eBay. It shows up sooner or later and I never got stuck.

I like to use PayPal with new vendors because I don't trust the online security of most of these small or unknown places when giving them a credit card number. Amazon, sure (no choice, really), but otherwise I use PayPal.

I've assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that I can still go to the CC bank (where all my PP expenses land) and contest the charge if I don't get something. I may have to confirm that!
Old 08-03-2020, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

PayPal to me is handy when I want to make a purchase but don't feel comfortable giving the particular site my CC credentials. Mostly small stuff.

Never had an issue, but I'm not buying off eBay, buying anything expensive, or buying goods directly from China.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Band Guitar View Post
I gave up on PayPal years ago.

They are not a credit card company. You don't have the protections a credit card company has. You are at their mercy for a resolution. Not me, not anymore.
They're a payment company but I use my credit card on there and that solves almost all these issues. Problem with Paypal? I just dispute it with the card company and it gets fixed fast!
Old 08-03-2020, 11:43 AM

This is yet another reason why I will never use PayPal. From a buyer’s perspective even if you have a credit card company as an intermediary just having their finger in the pie adds a level of intermediary that just gums up the process.
Old 08-03-2020, 12:06 PM

I have a Paypal account simply because a tiny number of my business clients want to pay with a credit card, but not nearly enough to be worth adding that capability directly. Government agencies in particular like to pay by credit card rather than go through the purchase order process. But it is linked to a separate savings account with only the minimum required balance. As soon as any payment comes it, I move that money immediately.

I have never tried to buy things using Paypal (except for my Emerald guitars from Ireland) and always use my credit card. Even so, I usually have to on the phone with my credit card company to get an overseas purchase approved in real time. All six transactions have been flagged.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic