The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-13-2020, 06:29 PM
Guest 928

Explorer;

Facinating. I knew that some makers were thinning the edges of the face to the maximum level, leading to enhanced sound. I've read of sandwiched tops and never heard of interfaced tops. Interesting options.

And yes, Dlutowski guitars sound quite fetching. I'd want to take a trip to Spain to try one out before purchase. Good players can take garbage and make it sing, and recording magic can just about any sound desired.

I should probably get a go-fund-me grant. I lived in Spain for a while. nice place. Makes some sweet guitars.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:51 AM

Yup - comfy on the sidelines for this'n.

Last edited by casualmusic; 07-14-2020 at 02:06 PM.
Old 07-14-2020, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
BTW, the demo for the Dlutowaki CF flamenco guitar is pretty amazing.

Given that the demo isn't of a close-mic'ed guitar, it sounds very loud.

It certainly seems like a decent buy for 1500€, as does the classical model for 1600€. If my priority was finding a loud CF nylon-strung guitar, I'd probably either just buy the flamenco model, or contact the company see if there are any current owners nearby, and then base any further searching on whether any further development hits the high-water mark demonstrated by that instrument.
Youtube links work different here than on most forums. Instead of the full URL you only put the id between the tags.

Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 07-14-2020, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
Youtube links work different here than on most forums. Instead of the full URL you only put the id between the tags.
Fixed. Thanks!
Old 07-21-2020, 03:17 PM
Guest 928

Still no word from Emerald regarding the possibility of a better projecting top. I think the problem is that the rest of you are keeping Alistair all too busy, getting in the way of classical guitar development. You should be ashamed.
Old 07-21-2020, 03:29 PM

I'll have the luxury of shame once MY custom X20 is completed and shipped. Then Alistair can turn his attention to nylon again. Meanwhile I should put some new strings on my 70's era Guild classical that someone gave me last year and play it for a while. I'm very much NOT a classical guitarist..... nor do I portray one on TV.
Old 07-24-2020, 10:00 AM
Guest 928

I've been thinking that if I sold my Emeralds I would have enough to purchase a Journey AND a Dlutowski--thus expanding my research of carbon fiber classical guitars. Not sure I should be thinking such thoughts.
Old 07-24-2020, 09:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I've been thinking that if I sold my Emeralds I would have enough to purchase a Journey AND a Dlutowski--thus expanding my research of carbon fiber classical guitars. Not sure I should be thinking such thoughts.
Thinking is one thing... writing them down in public is quite another.
Old 07-25-2020, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Hi Evan.

You absolutely should be thinking such thoughts.

You could enjoy playing the new guitars within a few weeks or months. And find out if the Dlutkowski meets the Ramirez target, and if the Journey's Manzer Wedge is comfy. (I'd ask if the Dlutkowski can be finished in a transparent burgundy red or amber like Emeralds and Glasser violins).

Whereas it'll be another 4-8 months to delivery, after Alistair agrees to try another guitar. Given that he put his best know how into the thin X10N delivered a few months ago it's hard to imagine what else is available for him to try in another build?

Best regards.

Last edited by casualmusic; 07-25-2020 at 12:45 AM.
Old 07-25-2020, 06:34 AM
Charter Member

I’m already looking forward to your review of both the Journey and the Dlutowski. Especially the Dlutowski!!
Old 07-25-2020, 03:20 PM
Guest 928

Casual;

I'm thinking that the top is the last frontier, the one thing that needs further exploration by the CF makers (at least the ones making nylon string guitars).
Old 07-25-2020, 10:49 PM

I have two nylon string classical guitars, and a narrow neck acoustic. I use the classicals to play classical, but also Ragtime and some Blues. For me a 1 3/4 " neck width is just too narrow for a nylon string. My classicals have a 2" neck width, which is common for nylon string guitars. Not sure of the reason for this, except these guitars are generally used to play mostly individual notes as opposed to strumming. Just my non-expert thoughts.
Old 07-26-2020, 09:47 AM
Guest 928

Rapido;

The finger spacing is one good reason for the 2" nut width. I believe that another reason is that the gut strings originally used on nylon strung instruments had a lot of slop and needed room.

In any event, I find the 1 3/4 nut width to be a bit tight and the 2" to be a bit wide. My sweet spot is 1 7/8"
Old 07-26-2020, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
My sweet spot is 1 7/8"
I know we're all friends here, but this might just be TMI.

Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 07-26-2020, 06:15 PM
Guest 928

David;

TMI? I may be doing it, but I don't know what it is?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber