The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-12-2020, 03:55 PM

Default NMD: Apogee HypeMic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
Just listening to all three songs. I especially like the sound finger picked Martin six string.

I enjoyed the performance. Obviously not studio quality, but a really nice sound quality and balance. The level compression from the mic is way better than what the software would do without it. Any weakness in the sound quality is the bitrate and app processing that is beyond your control. Very enjoyable to listen to. It’s simple setup, and with Facebook Live or Zoom I believe that that is as good audio as is possible to get right now.

I’m looking forward to getting mine even more now!

Thank you for the kind words. I think given the limitations of the platforms it really is close to the best I can get. And, it’s dead simple to boot. That’s my favorite part. When I record (versus stream) with that setup it sounds very clear to my ears. And software compression can’t touch the effectiveness of this analog circuit. It just seems to work for me.

I could try and spruce it up with reverbs or something, which would be nice. But then you’re talking about using an interface in my case.

I do like the idea of an ambient amp in the background and could easily try that. Might just plug into the monitor port of the mic and through the aux in. It would give you a little monitor. But I guess you could get a feedback loop if you’re not careful with the monitor pan switch.
Old 05-12-2020, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I do like the idea of an ambient amp in the background and could easily try that. Might just plug into the monitor port of the mic and through the aux in. It would give you a little monitor. But I guess you could get a feedback loop if you’re not careful with the monitor pan switch.
This is the video that started me thinking about using an ambient amp for a little added low end and reverb. As far as I can tell, it’s just the little XY mic array of the Zoom H6 recording, but the guitars are plugged into either one or two amps and that sweetens the sound immensely. I’m deaf in ear and have my iPad set to mono playback, so I can’t tell if there are one or two amps.

This is one of the best Zoom H-series recordings of this sort I’ve heard. Over headphones or good speakers, the guitars sound really full and beautiful, and I believe that in large part is because of the ambient amp(s) filling out and sweetening the direct acoustic sound.

Of course the music and playing are spectacular as well...

Anyway, this is what I’m trying to emulate by using my acoustic amp just out of frame. The HypeMic compression should really bring the amp low frequency and reverb sweetening.

https://youtu.be/H_fduLBab9A

Last edited by lkingston; 05-12-2020 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-13-2020, 01:30 PM

I have written in other posts that I also use (and really like) the Shure Motive ME88+ and MV51. I still use them both depending upon what I’m recording.

One thing I really like about the HypeMic is that it uses the same cable.

Between my video, audio, and music work I have quite a few XLR mics, and I choose from them depending upon the situation.

Now I find myself building up a small collection of USB mics to use in the same way. I can choose the one that’s best for a given situation, except that instead of going through the regular audio chain, I can just plug right into my phone!

Anyway, I like that the HypeMic uses the same cable.
Old 05-13-2020, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Does anyone have an example of this mic being used in tandem with iPhone video? Curious to see how well they work together as that would be my main use — covers recorded with iPhone + HypeMic

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'09 Craig Anderson/Burlington Guitars B-2 Custom
'01 Martin DX-1
'00 Fender Stratocaster (Midnight Blue)

facebook.com/whitneyborisenok
Old 05-13-2020, 05:52 PM

shipping delay on my mic, won't get it till Friday.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 05-13-2020, 06:31 PM

I got my refurbished hypemic yesterday and love it so far. It had a few minor light scratches on the back of the mic, no biggie.
I wanted to pass on 2 assembly tips that aren’t evident in the quick guide, and were not obvious, at least to me!
1. The screw insert in the bottom of the ball head can be removed and then the ballhead will fit on a standard mic stand. Cool beans!
2. The windscreen needs to go BEHIND the wheel knob (I don’t know what to call it) on the ballhead where the mic attaches or the whole thing stays too floppy and loose and is pretty frustrating. Take the wheel knob thingy completely off, then put the windscreen on, replace the knob and tighten it down, THEN put the mic on. Voila!
Hope this makes sense and helps someone!
Old 05-13-2020, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

Wondering if I’m misinterpreting the way this can be used. I’m anticipating plugging it into my iPhone and being able to record audio and video in tandem. Is that possible? Can I use the regular iPhone camera but select a different audio source?

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'01 Martin DX-1

Old 05-13-2020, 08:51 PM

When you plug it in, it automatically is the mic that is in use for the camera app for video with audio. Works great.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:58 PM

On an iPhone I think it just works.

On my Android phone I can choose a USB mic as the audio source from Filmic Pro or Open Camera, but not from the stock video camera app. No big deal. Filmic Pro is way better anyway and Open Camera is free.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wborisenok View Post
Wondering if I’m misinterpreting the way this can be used. I’m anticipating plugging it into my iPhone and being able to record audio and video in tandem. Is that possible? Can I use the regular iPhone camera but select a different audio source?

Yes, this is how it is intended to be used.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny View Post
When you plug it in, it automatically is the mic that is in use for the camera app for video with audio. Works great.
Just the confirmation I was looking for. Purchased — thanks!

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'01 Martin DX-1

Old 05-15-2020, 10:50 AM

I put this in another post, but it’s relevant here. If you’re on certain models of the Android phone (recent OnePlus phones included), the excellent GCam camera app not only improves the image quality substantially (in many cases), but also allows access to a USB mic (which isn’t possible on some native camera apps). GCam plus the Apogee HypeMic should be a great combination!

https://www.gizchina.com/2020/05/13/...hones-2-2/amp/
Old 05-15-2020, 11:21 AM

I also use Filmic Pro on both my Android Phone and my iPad Pro.

The following is relevant because Filmic Pro will let you choose an external USB mic. If you are going to use the HypeMic with an Android phone, you have to use a different camera app than the one that came with the phone:

If you look at reviews of the Android version of Filmic Pro, there are a lot of complaints about how it isn’t as good as the IOS version. I’ve had both versions since shortly after they came out, and for quite a while the Android version was really inferior. But slowly over time they have improved it to the point where now they are mostly the same...which is to say excellent.

Be aware that with Filmic Pro, they are also going to get you for paid add-ones which you can live without, but are worth the money.

One beautiful thing about the iPhone is that it has several mics from which you can choose when going between the front and rear cameras. Android phones typically have a single mic. The importance of this goes away however once you choose an external USB mic, and the experience is about the same.

Be aware however that different phone cameras have different specs. The selfie cameras in particular are usually to lessor specifications. For example, on my OnePlus Pro 7, the selfie camera has a small aperture, is fixed focus, and has a top resolution of 1080p. The OnePlus Pro 8 uses the same rear facing camera, so there is no improvement there this year.

None-the-less, I am pleased with the look and am really looking forward to adding the analog compression of the HypeMic to the equation.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I have written in other posts that I also use (and really like) the Shure Motive ME88+ and MV51. I still use them both depending upon what I’m recording.

One thing I really like about the HypeMic is that it uses the same cable.

Between my video, audio, and music work I have quite a few XLR mics, and I choose from them depending upon the situation.

Now I find myself building up a small collection of USB mics to use in the same way. I can choose the one that’s best for a given situation, except that instead of going through the regular audio chain, I can just plug right into my phone!

Anyway, I like that the HypeMic uses the same cable.
I can confirm that Lawrence's use of the amp on a live recording was great. It adds a nice bottom end for his jazzy style. I may consider doing the same one day.

Cheers!
Old 05-17-2020, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I can confirm that Lawrence's use of the amp on a live recording was great. It adds a nice bottom end for his jazzy style. I may consider doing the same one day.

Cheers!

It was cute seeing you and your daughter!

Your sound tonight was fantastic! It makes me even more excited to get my own HypeMic!

I have been experimenting with amp placement and settings so that it’s still primarily the acoustic you hear over Zoom, but that the amp just fills in the sound a little. I’m not trying to make it much louder. I’m just trying to fill in the sound a little. I do a lot of thumb bass lines and I play Drop-D to get a little lower pitch range and the amp really helps bring out the bass lines that get lost if I just play completely acoustic. I like the added reverb as well.

The right level for the amp is so soft that you aren’t sure that it is on, but if you turn it off you miss it.

Last edited by lkingston; 05-18-2020 at 12:06 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD