The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-10-2020, 09:22 AM

Default Solo performers - Amp vs PA or both?

Was wondering what the preferences were out there for gigging musicians?
Putting your guitar and vocals straight into your PA or using a separate acoustic amp for just your guitar or both? I have to think a dedicated acoustic amp will make your guitar sound better than plugging it straight into a powered speaker or PA system? Of course its much more convenient to just have everything going through one piece.

Thoughts?
Old 01-10-2020, 09:35 AM

I always have a little PA plus Mackie DL1608 mixer with me/us. My guitar always goes through a preamp (Tonebone Pz-pre) and then post-eq out into the mixer.

If someone else is operating FOH then I’ll use the Pz-pre mainly for mute and guitar switching so I’ll send front of house pre-eq from the preamp.

It depends on the gig of course. Recently we set up a tribute to Abbey Road where I was playing acoustic on only 2-3 songs. In this case I used my TC Bodyrez and the house DI (Radial Pz-DI). I didn’t need mute function as I could just turn the guitar down (Taylor with ES2).

I don’t actually have an acoustic amp as I’ve never really needed one! I either have own mixer and PA or have good sound ops and on stage monitoring...!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 01-10-2020, 10:15 AM

You're blessed lol. I did a wedding this summer where the sound was so bad I was questioning myself as a musician. Now I will Jack that if you're using vocal and guitar precessing pre pay then you can eliminate some of those issues or at least minimize them. But I've had such inconsistent performance from various rooms and sound guys that am reluctant to trust them with my sound anymore.....could be I'm not dealing with the same quality of sound engineers as well lol
Old 01-10-2020, 11:16 AM

Acoustic amps are much closer to FRFR (full-range flat response) than electric amps, so the difference between running through an acoustic amp and PA will be far less, all other things being equal.

Of course, all other things are not usually equal. I have a good preamp with effects loop and my own PA for many gigs, so I prefer that to an amplifier. Even with someone else's PA, I still prefer to run direct and can tweak my sound enough from the pedalboard.

If you don't use a pedalboard or have other tone-shaping options upstream, and have to use an unknown PA, I suppose you might want to use an amp to help you control your own sound. But then, as well as extra gear hauling, you have to balance on-stage amp sound with the PA which can add its own challenges.

If you're only using an amp (and presumably running vocals through it), it is basically working as a PA system. Many folks do this. It's just less flexible than a modular PA for difference circumstances.
Old 01-10-2020, 11:53 AM

I have always run my guitar and vocals into a mixer and then out through powered speakers. That being said, I've often struggled with getting my EQ right and being happy with the overall tone. Some rooms being better than others. Only recently have I thought of using an acoustic amp for smaller, solo shows. I've seen it done with really nice results.

Yamaha AC3M
Martin GPCPA4
Martin DXC1E
Martin DXM
Alvarez PJ311C
TC Bodyrez
T-Rex Soulmate Acoustic
Mackie ProFX12V2 Mixer
QSC 12" Powered Speakers
Alto 8" Stage Monitor
Old 01-10-2020, 12:04 PM

I use an acoustic amp with an extension speaker.

2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2

Last edited by ChrisE; 01-10-2020 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-10-2020, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Well, it depends upon the size of the venue and the constraints of the gig, but my preferred system is to use my Bose L1 Model II (w/ B1 sub) and my Bose T1 mixer-gizmo; I run everything into the T1, mounted on a small shelf attached to my mic stand, using short cords to minimize stage clutter, then one cord sends signal to and receives AC from the base unit of the L1.

Very clean set-up, great sound (the T1 is quite sophisticated w/ assignable eq and fx) for me and the audience. The Bose 8-12' from me, diagonally off my left shoulder (away from the body of the guitars!), angled so that I am in the 180 degree + dispersion "cone" of the Bose... no need for monitors, as I'm hearing exactly what my audience is hearing...

Clean, even sound throughout the room without ear-splitting volume!

If it's a tiny stage/room or a loose jam session, I'd take my AER Compact 60, along with the T1 (if necessary).
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 01-10-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
I use an acoustic amp with an extension speaker.
I had that rig, too, and it did the job. Sold to a buddy when I had to invest in a full PA system for a band. It's still working nearly every weekend. SoundOnSound wrote "sounds better than it should for the money". They were right.
Old 01-10-2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
I have to think a dedicated acoustic amp will make your guitar sound better than plugging it straight into a powered speaker or PA system? Of course its much more convenient to just have everything going through one piece.

Thoughts?
Your assumption isn't necessarily correct. A lot depends on who is twiddling which knobs on what device. Since I'm down to one band (I play electric bass guitar and sing) I've considered resuming my solo stuff but the thought of dealing with the PA I have just for a fool-on-a-stool gig in some local bar, wine tasting room, or coffee house turns me off. I'm too old to schlep gear I don't need for the gig.

Some of the stick PA's are interesting ... but the Bose (probably regarded as "the best") is prohibitively expensive for me, Fish-sticks just don't do it for me tone-wise. All-in-one tiny boxes (Bose S1, JBL EonOne Compact, etc) are OK, but again, they're pricey for what little they offer (other than light weight, and battery power).

I'm going to try using a good guitar/vocal/harmonize unit to one (or two if I MUST) of my powered speakers and see if that puts in the sonic ball park. Something like the Boss VE-8 would give me the EQ, FX, and other features of a decent PA board, flexibility to size my rig for the gig, and provide clean, uncolored sound (other than what I add in FX) through my speaker(s).
Old 01-10-2020, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Both. We tend to use Loudbox Artist amps, one for each of us in the duo and add an Alto Trouper on a stand hooked to the amp DI outs if needed. Lately we haven't needed the powered speaker as the rooms we play are covered well by the amps.
Old 01-10-2020, 02:11 PM

Really, an acoustic amp with a couple inputs, including XLR and a mic level switch, and tone-shaping for both inputs essentially IS a little single-speaker PA system. Not substantively different from a small powered speaker that has a couple inputs, except for (perhaps) a bit more tone control and effects.

I wouldn't dare to say one would sound any better than the other. It's totally dependent on your setup and your preferences. You can get great (or terrible) sound out of either kind of rig.
Old 01-10-2020, 04:34 PM

I use guitar>tuner>play acoustic>small mixer>single 12" powered speaker (JBL EON 612).

Sounds great, reasonably portable, and can cover fairly big rooms. I do plan on getting a second powered speaker for more coverage and as a backup if one played up.
Old 01-10-2020, 04:58 PM

I've yet to play through an acoustic guitar amp that I've liked as well as my moderately budgeted PA. Guitar > Pedalboard > A&H Zed mixer> Yamaha DBR 10 or 12.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 01-10-2020, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

Guitar into QSC Touchmix8 into LD Systems Maui 5. Sonic perfection.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 01-10-2020, 10:41 PM

Guitar through pedal board into mixer, vocals to mixer. Out of mixer to stick PA or powered speaker.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification