The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-09-2015, 09:03 AM

Default Nylon Crossover Question [just one]

Do crossovers typically have a radial fretboard?
Voyage-Air VAOM-02 2012 (not sure/lam hog)
Old 11-09-2015, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I think that most do. I know that the Kenny Hill Crossover that I owned had a radiused fret board.

Best,
Jayne
Old 11-09-2015, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

Both of the Taylors and the Martin I owned all had radiused fretboards.

Dave
Old 11-09-2015, 10:19 AM

Even a lot of "classical" guitars have a radiuses fretboard. Maybe not as much as what you'd find on a crossover, though.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:47 PM

Thanks for responses. My classical has a flat fretboard, starting to hear how that both serves and limits the instrument...
Voyage-Air VAOM-02 2012 (not sure/lam hog)
Old 11-09-2015, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffmeister View Post
Even a lot of "classical" guitars have a radiuses fretboard.
Really? That has not been my experience. Flat finger boards are, and as far as I know always have been flat.

Maybe I don't get out enough! (smile)

Dave
Old 11-09-2015, 02:18 PM

FWIW, my Taylor 314 crossover (recently sold) has a radiused fret board and a 1-7/8" neck width, to more closely replicate the feel of a regular steel string guitar. I was pretty happy with it, but sold it because it was not getting much play time any more, and I'm trying to thin the guitar herd overall.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy99 View Post
Do crossovers typically have a radial fretboard?
Yes they do, but not all.
My Cervantes Crossover II has a flat board, like a typical classical.
I would imagine that model is probably the exception though. His more popular Crossover I has a radiused board, as do most others from other brands as pointed out. But to be on the safe side, best to double check that particular spec in all models you would be contemplating, in case it is an important requirement for you.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 11-09-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Thanks for responses. My classical has a flat fretboard, starting to hear how that both serves and limits the instrument...
Hi, crossovers have radiused fretboards at 48MM. All true classics have flat
fretboards.and 50 or 52mm. This does not limit the instrument, what it does
affect is the playablility of the guitar but that is based on length of your fingers
and your hand size. It also affects the height of your guitars action. Regards
Norman2
Old 11-10-2015, 11:07 AM

I've built both classical's and cross overs with flat and radius boards. It all depends. Seems to me though (correct me if I am wrong) that cross overs are mostly desired by those who want to go from steel string playing to nylon rather then the other way round. In that case I would suspect that a slight radius would be more popular. My personal preference is flat on classical. The radius I use on a classical if desired is 20in which is very slight but noticeable.

And to be honest with you I find cross overs to be the worst of both worlds
Old 11-10-2015, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
And to be honest with you I find cross overs to be the worst of both worlds
After three tries that was my conclusion.

Dave
Old 11-10-2015, 05:52 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

Quote:
I'm curious, what are the limitations you've experienced due to a flat fretboard? I have never really thought about how a flat fretboard might be disadvantageous, it's just "how it is" on a traditional(ish) classical guitar. My experience with crossovers is similar to those already stated above, but I can at least see how the Cervantes "crossover" with a flat fretboard (but presumably with a cutaway and/or electronics?) would fill a particular gap in the gigger's collection.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:57 PM

Dave T and Redir, what exactly do you mean by "the worst of both worlds?" And, Redir, did you try to build three, or try to like three different crossovers, without success?

Is it that it is neither a steel stringed nor a "pure" classical, therefore doesn't deserve consideration? Or, was the quality of the guitars that you either built or played somewhat lacking?

Just simple questions from someone who played only steel strings for over 40 years, who now also enjoys the sound and touch of a crossover, that's all.
'86 Flatiron A5-JR
'15 Pono N-30DC
Old 11-10-2015, 09:15 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGSanders View Post
Dave T and Redir, what exactly do you mean by "the worst of both worlds?" And, Redir, did you try to build three, or try to like three different crossovers, without success?

Is it that it is neither a steel stringed nor a "pure" classical, therefore doesn't deserve consideration? Or, was the quality of the guitars that you either built or played somewhat lacking?

Just simple questions from someone who played only steel strings for over 40 years, who now also enjoys the sound and touch of a crossover, that's all.
For me, the problem with all of the crossovers that I've ever played is the unplugged sound. There are probably some out there that would be good enough, acoustically, but there are so many subtle things changed to make a crossover work that it always pales in comparison to the acoustic sound of its traditional brother. I'm sure this has as much to do with the kinds of music I'm into (80s punk, electronica, etc.) as the inherent differences between an old school classical and a hip new crossover. But with the exception of a couple absurdly expensive Spanish liuthier-quality crossovers I've played, a standard, lightly-built traditional classical guitar always just feels more lively and responsive to me. I'll be interested to know what others have to say about all this.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

GGSanders,

I bought into the idea that a crossover would do everything. In my case they didn't. I never found one that produced a natural sound when plugged in and unplugged all three were weak and unresponsive as dosland said above.

I first had a Taylor 514ec-N, then a Taylor 512ec-N and finally a Custom Shop Martin 000-C Nylon. They were all well made and very nice to look at, particularly the Martin which had beautiful flamed mahogany back and sides. They just didn't sound very strong unplugged.

Dave

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical