The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-14-2020, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I do that if I use Audition. I like using iZotopes Rx 7 though. You have a good point about the bus output control.

When I use Rx 7 though, I will save the file with a different file name after every major edit/eq. For example, here's the "evolution" of sound files in a "job" folder:

RawTrack
RawTrackEdit
RawTrackEditNoiseReduction
RawTrackEditNoiseReductionOzone8Eq
RawTRackEditNoiseReductionOzone8EqStereoWidth
RawTRackEditNoiseReductionOzone8EqStereoWidthVerb

So if I want to change the reverb later on I can just use the file preceding the addition of the reverb. Its not a perfect system, but for my hobbyist activities its ok.

One question about using a bus. What order are the effects processed? Does it start with #8 and then #7 affects 8 and then #6 effects 7 or does #1 filter through #2, #1 and #2 filter through #3, etc?
Humm I am not clear ?. RX7 is an audio repair software and Ozone is a mastering software,,, normally (or at least I would) use RX7 on the raw guitar tracks either as plug in FX (Elements) in the DAW, or the full version slaved to the DAW.
I would repair it, then begin to Mix in the DAW. Then when done mixing (including the reverb and any EQ'ing comp, etc. ) Then bounce that as an interleaved stereo WAV then use Ozone for mastering ?

That said: normally FX are stacked vertically and the signal goes in the top and down So yes starts with #1 which does effect what goes into #2 and so on down ,,,, So I would put the EQ in #1 and reverb in #2

For EQ'ing a Reverb for better clarity Check out this video

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 06-14-2020 at 08:55 AM.
Old 06-14-2020, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Humm I am not clear ?. RX7 is an audio repair software and Ozone is a mastering software normally (or at least I would) use RX7 on the raw guitar tracks either as plug in FX (Elements) in the DAW, or the full version slaved to the DAW.
I would repair it, then begin to Mix in the DAW. Then when done mixing (including the reverb and any EQ'ing comp, etc. ) Then bounce that as an interleaved stereo WAV then use Ozone for mastering ?

That said: normally FX are stacked vertically and the signal goes in the top and down So yes starts with #1 which does effect what goes into #2 and so on down ,,,, So I would put the EQ in #1 and reverb in #2

For EQ'ing a Reverb for better clarity Check out this video

Ok, thanks. I use Ozone 8 as a plug-in for Rx 7. One of the things wrong with my method is that the trail of the levels of the plugins are lost. I can't simply adjust what I did with Ozone 8 for instance, I have to go to the point before I used Ozone 8 and then start from scratch with it.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-14-2020, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ok, thanks. I use Ozone 8 as a plug-in for Rx 7. One of the things wrong with my method is that the trail of the levels of the plugins are lost. I can't simply adjust what I did with Ozone 8 for instance, I have to go to the point before I used Ozone 8 and then start from scratch with it.

Still not clear, are you using RX7 as a DAW instead of Audition ? If so I would reconsider that.
Because the above is good example as to why to stop doing that and do your mixing in Audition or other DAW.

#Question:: are the FX plugins in Audition "Real time" ( Can you hear the effect and adjustment them and hear the change , while playing back without applying/rendering ) ?? If so fine, If not you may want to consider a different DAW

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 06-14-2020 at 09:18 AM.
Old 06-14-2020, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Still not clear, are you using RX7 as a DAW instead of Audition ? If so I would reconsider that.
Because the above is good example as to why to stop doing that and do your mixing in Audition or other DAW.

#Question:: are the FX plugins in Audition "Real time" ( Can you hear the effect and adjustment them and hear the change , while playing back without applying/rendering ) ?? If so fine, If not you may want to consider a different DAW
I'm in Rx7 due to habit.

Yes, Audition does real time. Rx 7 doesn't. Yes, you can preview, but once you apply you can't go back and change anything unless you "undo".

My biggest issues are:

1. Clean and correct playing

2. Mic placement.

3. Room noise removal.

4. A bit of bass roll off.

If I get 1 to 4 right, the use of reverb is optional.

The "mixing" is fun though and since there's a lot to learn its entertaining.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by TBman; 06-14-2020 at 09:31 AM.
Old 06-14-2020, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi Chris, here's the recording without reverb:

Not with reverb but sounds like some other processing done on the raw recording. If so a pure raw recording (no Rx7, etc.) would be something to play with. There is an odd shimmer to this that is annoying and hard to work with. Also does sound like bare finger playing. If so you will get a more solid, less trebly shimmer playing with nails.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 06-14-2020 at 10:06 AM.
Old 06-14-2020, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm in Rx7 due to habit.
Yes, Audition does real time. Rx 7 doesn't. Yes, you can preview, but once you apply you can't go back and change anything unless you "undo".
So I assume that is "yes" you are using RX7 instead of Audition ?

While preview helps, it is still not as efficient as real time . Honestly it seems you are making your workflow more difficult than it needs to be.
# For example often when you add and additional (2nd) FX, you may want to change the settings on the first FX, and not being able to do this nondestructively in real time, is an unnecessary waste of time. Say like a Comp and an EQ you can quickly adjust and readjust either or both to dial in.

If you are using the regular RX7 standalone (not Elements plugin) just get in the "habit" of using the RX "Connect" plugin
https://support.izotope.com/hc/en-us...Adobe-Audition
It may seem more complex at first, but once you get "in the habit" your mixing world will change significantly for the better and be much more efficient in the long run.

You will gain all the advantages of both Audition and RX7 combined and loose the disadvantage of using just one or the other. You can (or should be able to) have templates all set up in Audition including EQ, Comp, Reverb, and the RX Connect plugin, all ready to go. etc. etc. etc.

Obviously YMMV and this is just my opinion but perhaps consider it .. Cheers

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 06-14-2020 at 12:23 PM.
Old 06-14-2020, 11:49 AM

I strongly second KevWind's advice. What you're doing sounds like what I used to do with Audacity, which has destructive editing. You had to save every version, and if you decided you wanted to re-do something in version 1, you had to re-do every subsequent step. I couldn't believe how much easier things were once I went to a real DAW (Reaper). Spending some time learning more about Audition will likely give you better results and save time in the long run.
Old 06-14-2020, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

Interesting, maybe the harshness I'm hearing on the guitar isn't from your room, maybe it's from RX. RX is great, but it's easy to overdo it. It'd be good to hear the true original, unprocessed recording.

I also agree with Kev. You're working way too hard :-) Audition will give you an easy, clean, non-destructive workflow that should sound better, be more flexible, and be so much easier than what it seems you are doing. Audition even has core RX features built in. For solo guitar, you can basically have a session set up with your default settings, and most of the time, you could record, trim beginning and end, save, and you're done.
Old 06-14-2020, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

Ok, I'll post up a cleaned up, but no noise reduction or eq version later today.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-14-2020, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Kev, RX supports AU or VST plugins, but in RX they work just like RX operations - you can preview to adjust them, but then you apply them destructively. So not very useful. I can't think of a reason I'd apply an effect like that in RX. I just launch RX from Logic on a specific track when I need it. Fix whatever the issue is and exit, and audio updates in Logic. Adjusting reverb in RX would be pretty painful.
Old 06-14-2020, 10:09 PM
Charter Member

I looked in my project file and unfortunately I didn't retain the raw file.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-15-2020, 06:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Kev, RX supports AU or VST plugins, but in RX they work just like RX operations - you can preview to adjust them, but then you apply them destructively. So not very useful. I can't think of a reason I'd apply an effect like that in RX. I just launch RX from Logic on a specific track when I need it. Fix whatever the issue is and exit, and audio updates in Logic. Adjusting reverb in RX would be pretty painful.
Yes that is how I use it in Pro Tools also,
Interesting I have never tried RX for anything but repair. And I am still on RX4 (keep missing the upgrade specials. ) Plus I have my M7 (which I use almost exclusively as verb) and 3U comp both as hardware inserts in PT

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 06-15-2020 at 08:04 AM.
Old 06-15-2020, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

If the only RX feature you are using is noise reduction, why not pull the raw audio file from the project (media folder, wherever) into RX, do the noise reduction, and then replace the track audio, or add a duplicate, with the noise-reduced one. Then put Ozone 8 on the stereo-out/mix bus as a plugin in the DAW.

I only use Logic, but it has the ability to create "alternatives" where you can just "branch" off a mix and tweak settings, then you can add a previous mix bounce to A/B in the DAW and toss the whole alternative if it turns out to be a bad idea.
Old 06-15-2020, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

Here's a new recording, different tune, but using mostly the non-destructive method of mixing.

Lament for Owen Roe O'Neill [arr. E. McMeen]:

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD