The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-03-2020, 04:18 AM

Default Rhodes NT1 or SE X1 for mahogany guitar beginner recording?

Hi everyone. I’m looking to do some beginner home recording and from what I’ve been looking at online these both seem to be decent budget options for somebody who is just starting out with it. I already have a Shure SM57 and a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 from my electric guitar days but I understand that condenser microphones can be better for acoustic guitars. Price wise I could buy the SE X1 new for £80 whereas the Rodes seems to be going on eBay used for closer to double that price. However, I could afford either option.

I was curious as to which of these might be better to use with the equipment I currently have. I would be using a Martin 00-15m guitar with my Focusrite interface and then Reaper as the DAW. Since I’m new to this I thought maybe one of these microphones would be better to capture the sound of a mahogany instrument. Alternatively if there are any other good options please mention them.
Old 05-03-2020, 06:24 AM

I have an SE Electronics Magneto which I think is the older version of the current SE X1. It's really a budget mic priced around £80.

If you can afford it the SE Electronic SE2300 is a much better mic IMO.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 05-03-2020, 01:12 PM

Are you going to sing and play guitar at the same time? If not, consider a couple of small condensers for recording acoustic guitar in stereo.

Oktava MC012
3U Audio CM100
Line Audio CM4
Old 05-03-2020, 01:56 PM

Rode's self noise is very low, which is a plus. However, I find the mid-highs through upper-highs to be shrill, lacking in detail.
Almost the opposite, my experience with the X1 is big, "woofy" mid-low and lows.
Since you said mahogany guitar, I would vote for the SE. Your guitar probably isn't producing shimmering and detailed highs, so you want to make sure the lows and mids are clean and clear. SE would probably do that, when positioned correctly.
Just my two cents. Lots of folks with lots of varied opinions though!
This might stretch your budget, but an AKG C214 is another all-around mic. Aston Origin/Spirit would be in your range, too.
'50's Gibson LG-1
lukegardmusic.com
Old 05-04-2020, 04:37 AM
Guitar Gourmet

There are two Rode NT1s available - the newer NT1 and the NT1A. The NT1 is a redesign of the NT1A that smooths the frequency response, especially in the high frequencies. We have both here at the studio. If I were to buy another I'd spring the extra money for the newer NT1.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD