The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-17-2019, 09:41 PM

Default Minimal laptop for live tracking

Helping it not be so quiet around here...

Related to my post on mixers in the other subforum, I'm looking at small, inexpensive portable computers to record live tracks from the mixer's USB interface (up to 18x18) to a DAW.

Reaper is pretty lightweight, and most of the CPU usage comes from plugins and VSTs, which I won't be using. This is just getting 18 tracks as-is onto disk. I'll pull them off later and actually mix on a more capable computer.

I'm eyeing those little 11.9" screen laptops with Celeron processors (N3450, N4000) and 64GB of eMMC storage. Do you think one of those would be up to the task? Or do I really need to bump to something with, say an i3 and/or 128GB SSD?

(Geek note: yeah, I entertained the thought of trying to do it with a Rasperry Pi 4, tiny touchscreen and minimized Reaper (linux version) interface, but who's got time for that? )
Old 09-17-2019, 11:04 PM

You can't record 18 separate tracks via USB.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
There are plenty of USB interfaces out there that are 18-in (e.g. Focusrite Scarlett 18i8, Behringer UMC1820, Presonus Studio 1824), as well as the Behringer XR18 and Midas MR18 rack mixers. Why wouldn't you be able to?
Old 09-18-2019, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
You couldn't with USB 1, but USB 2 or 3 are capable of it.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 09-18-2019, 08:49 AM

deleted.....

Last edited by runamuck; 09-18-2019 at 08:58 AM.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
You couldn't with USB 1, but USB 2 or 3 are capable of it.
Thank you. I didn't know that.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
Helping it not be so quiet around here...

Related to my post on mixers in the other subforum, I'm looking at small, inexpensive portable computers to record live tracks from the mixer's USB interface (up to 18x18) to a DAW.

Reaper is pretty lightweight, and most of the CPU usage comes from plugins and VSTs, which I won't be using. This is just getting 18 tracks as-is onto disk. I'll pull them off later and actually mix on a more capable computer.

I'm eyeing those little 11.9" screen laptops with Celeron processors (N3450, N4000) and 64GB of eMMC storage. Do you think one of those would be up to the task? Or do I really need to bump to something with, say an i3 and/or 128GB SSD?

(Geek note: yeah, I entertained the thought of trying to do it with a Rasperry Pi 4, tiny touchscreen and minimized Reaper (linux version) interface, but who's got time for that? )
Just my opinion but seems to me if your recording 12 - 18 tracks, you might want at least a 13" screen

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 09-18-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Just my opinion but seems to me if your recording 12 - 18 tracks, you might want at least a 13" screen
I do that stuff with a JoeCo BBR1-B and an external drive. Small, 24 line-level XLR's in, onboard A/D conversion, no screen. You connect the drive to your computer/DAW and import the files -- eezy peezy.

Couch Standards
Old 09-18-2019, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

It depends on the OS and what else you have going on, the disk speed, and most importantly probably is memory and internal bus transfer rate. A newer PC might be Ok, but you do need USB 2 at least on the input side, and I'd probably us a fast external drive for the project if you go bottom fishing. (My 2010 MacBook Pro, Core 2 Duo, choked on 11 tracks writing to the slow, internal drive, but worked fine with a 7200RPM external drive.)

Honestly, if you think you're going to be doing this a lot, I would not go low end at all. Get a new computer, at least i3, with support USB 3/C support, and biggish, internal M2 SSD.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:59 AM

What I really wanted was a mixer than did recording straight to disk/flash drive. However, that came at a premium (both cost and size). So if I need a separate unit to record, I want as small and cheap as possible. This is the only task it would be used for. 11.9" screen would be fine, as all I would do is start Reaper, load the template to map inputs, and hit record.

I don't need a huge disc (1 hour of 18 tracks at 48k/16bit is around 6GB) but yes, it needs to be fast enough. I imagine solid-state eMMC would be plenty speedy.

I may get better technical answers on a Reaper forum but I thought I'd throw it out here.

(BTW, I looked at solutions like the JoeCo or Cymatic, but I don't have/want analog inputs... I'll already have the A/D handled and have USB ready to go straight into a DAW. As well as $$$ for those.)
Old 09-18-2019, 06:56 PM

Hard to say, and of course other things running the background in the OS could cause issues. Your idea that CPU needs for just audio recording are minimal.

The only way to know for sure would be to try. I used to record 8-12 tracks "live" (i.e. no processing by the DAW, just recording) on a Pentium III and then on a early Core2Duo CPU and both to spinning hard drives (16 bit/44.1) I currently do live recording on a faster Core2Duo, an ancient chip by modern standards. I've never recorded over 16 tracks simultaneously.

A secondary hard drive for your recordings is ideal (used to be required by older DigiDesign ProTools--but this recommendation that goes beyond that product's peculiarities). Alas many cheap laptops are not setup to easily allow that other than via USB. USB 2 had a bad reputation for being used for "live" audio recording, and more so yet again if USB 2 is also your digital audio input from your mixer/interface. I have no idea if USB3 would work.

Is portability the reason you want a cheap laptop? I'd strongly consider a new (or for savings, a used business class) small form factor desktop (or even an Intel NUC or an older Mac Mini) that allows you to add a second hard drive. I wouldn't sweat what CPU it has and even 4 megs RAM should be plenty. Pair it with a cheap LCD monitor and an inexpensive keyboard touchpad combo.

Old Mac Minis are fairly quiet when not stressed. Many can hold a second hard drive (SATA SSD or spinning disks) inside. They even made "server models" that came with two spinning disks supplied from the factory.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 09-18-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
Is portability the reason you want a cheap laptop?
Yes. This is ONLY for live tracking, getting the 18 tracks from USB interface onto a disk. I don't want/need an extra monitor, keyboard, mouse, or disk space for more than a few hours of recording (a 3hr gig would yield 20GB or so). The tracks will be transferred to a more capable computer for anything further.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
(BTW, I looked at solutions like the JoeCo or Cymatic, but I don't have/want analog inputs... I'll already have the A/D handled and have USB ready to go straight into a DAW. As well as $$$ for those.)
JoeCo has those, too. I know you know this, just saying it for the folks keeping an eye on the thread. Yes, expensive. But great.

Couch Standards
Old 09-18-2019, 09:20 PM

If what you REALLY wanted was a mixer that records to SDHC, then the Zoom Live Track 20 would do it.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

The Zoom Live Track 12 is less money, but only 12 tracks.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
If what you REALLY wanted was a mixer that records to SDHC, then the Zoom Live Track 20 would do it.
Thanks, I did consider it but it didn't make the cut for various reasons, including footprint.

I've looked over lots of options (thread here) and settled on the XR18 for features, quality and portability. I'm not really interested in alternatives at this point, all I want to know is what is the smallest, least expensive computer I can get to hook up and hit "Record".

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD