The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-25-2018, 01:55 PM
Guest 2223

Default Dimarzio Angel or LRBaggs M1

So I’m looking at a magnetic sound hole pickup for my Taylor GS5. Hoping Magnetic soundhole users can chime in. Oh and no I don’t want a k&k, trance or infinity matrix. I want a magnetic soundhole pickup specifically. I would consider the M80 or a Rare Earth blend of the price increase can be justified. Specifically for users of the M1 passive or Dimarzio angel or Black Angel. What kind of preamps are you using and what do you find helps you get the best sound. I had an M1a years ago that I liked I only got rid of it because I wanted more tweak ability than the built in pre provided. I’ve read a lot of threads on here but haven’t come across as much info as I would like. Merry Christmas y’all
Old 12-25-2018, 08:04 PM

I really love the magnetic pickup/mic blend pickups. I have a Shertler AG6/S-Mic, but I also very much like the sound of the Rare Earth Blend and other mag/mic systems that I've heard.
Old 12-25-2018, 08:49 PM

In my experience, between the passive M1 and DiMarizo it's no contest, the DiMarizo wins hands down! I use a LR Baggs GigPro for impedance matching and boost between my Martin 000-15M with DiMarzio Angel and Schertler Jam 100 amp. Best sound/tone ever and no feedback.
Yamaha FSX800C
Bose L1c
Schertler Jam 100
Gretsch G2655
Gretsch G5655T
Old 12-26-2018, 05:24 AM

I've used the Baggs M1A and M80 in my D28 with great results but I always seemed to be fighting against both pickups' body resonance feature. Both pickups had problems with the mid range frequencies; the M1A moreso than the M80. The M80 was even better in passive mode but still had issues for me that I wasn't prepared to compromise.

Out of curiosity I bought a DiMarzio Black Angel after reading reviews which compared it closely to the fabled Sunrise pickups. As soon as I fitted the DiMarzio I could tell it was a far better starting point for my sound. It has a wide frequency response with no nasty sounding peaks to deal with which allows me to concentrate on eqing for taste/application rather than problem solving. It also has great dynamics....I'm a rhythm player so this is very important for me.

As for preamp, I actually use a Line 6 HD500! I don't use any of the amp models or OTT effects, just the vintage preamp to add a little gain and some subtle eq. It also provides DI.

I play rhythm acoustic full time in a touring band and the sound needs to be right every time. The first time I used the DiMarzio in sound check I got an "Oh yeah" from our sound man which said it all for me
Old 12-26-2018, 06:23 AM

I've got a Fishman Rare Earth Humbucking that works well for me. Here's my review:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...95&postcount=5
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 12-27-2018, 05:11 AM
Charter Member

To 63t-----It sounds like you are off to a great start with the Black Angel.
Ii is my primary pickup and though it does not seem too picky about
preamps ( I have probably tried a dozen) ;
I have found the sunnaudio Stage preamp/DI to be an exceptional
mate. Good luck.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meb View Post
To 63t-----It sounds like you are off to a great start with the Black Angel.
Ii is my primary pickup and though it does not seem too picky about
preamps ( I have probably tried a dozen) ;
I have found the sunnaudio Stage preamp/DI to be an exceptional
mate. Good luck.
Haven't tried any "proper" preamps but the HD500 does a great job for my needs.....I use my tele for a few songs in the set so it's very convenient for quick changes. If I were playing solo singer/songwriter gigs I'd look into something more dedicated. Ta for the tip
Old 12-27-2018, 10:04 AM

I've also had great results with the Black Angel / SunnAudio Stage DI combination.
Dazzo 70's & SunnAudio Stage DI
Old 12-27-2018, 10:27 AM

My duo bud had a m1. neither me or him ever
warmed up to it. I use an m80 in my martin.
i use it in passive mode because the active passive
switch cant be toggled without removing the
pup.(con) The sunrise is also am excellent
option. I have one as well in a parlor .
I like to take it to open mikes, folks cant believe
what a big sound out of a small guitar. ha
The sunrise fits in the parlor. The m80
is too wide. I havnt tried or heard the black angel.
but it gets alot of love here on agf.

Last edited by varmonter; 12-28-2018 at 06:58 AM.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

I bought the DiMarzio Black Angel to use in my old J45. Didn't want to drill any holes for an install so I use the long cable included with the pickup. I'm a long time Sunrise pickup user and the Black Angel impresses me as being as good or better.

The LR Baggs sound hole pickups make clicking sounds if you hit them with a pick or fingernail. No problem with the Black Angel or Sunrise in that respect.

Considering the price, go for the Black Angel. That's my 2 cents.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:26 AM

I have a Sunrise in a 914, which is outstanding and when used with the SB2 preamp really is an excellent choice. I also have an M80 in an 814 and it is also good but cannot compare to the Sunrise.
The DiMarzio Black Angel by all accounts I have read is a close match to the Sunrise and is far more accessible (and less $$) than trying to find a Sunrise pickup. If I had to do it over, that is what I would buy.
With both pickups, I just eq at the amp or board. The M80 is an excellent pickup but the Black Angel is modeled after the Sunrise so that would be my rec.
I have also had and keep as a spare, the Fishman Rare Earth Humbucker. I think it does a good job, just a bit more electric sounding than the others.
Let us know what you think.
Davidc
Old 12-27-2018, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

* I prefer the M80 over the all that have been mentioned but not without the fact that it has to be dialed in and tweaked with placement and pole piece adjustments...imo it is the warmest and least electric sounding between the M1, Sunrise, and Angel; tho they all sound like mags which is better imo than piezo quack any day.

** As far clicking the pickup, if you use the right technique it shouldn't be an issue; it never was for me because I've always strummed forward the sound hole and finger/flat pick at back edge of sound hole.

*** The percussive nature of the M80 and its versatile features benefit the way I play/attack because I use the soundboard for light drumming. Plus fingerstyle playing sounds so articulate and responsive, the nuances are heard... harmonics and taps are choral sounding, love that aspect! On an aside note; this is why I'm selling my 000-18e Retro. Despite the incredible F1AP that sounds like a 000-18 amplified, it does not have the body sensing for drumming/tapping like the M80 in my D-18 has and like the Palathetic pickup does in my MIJ Taks, and really need that for my style... but dang if that F1AP had that ability cuz it sounds soooo good, but I digress.

**** That being said, I don't recommend the M80 to everyone because it may not fit your style and application as well as some of the above mentioned choices. The Sunrise imo dampens the unplugged sound the most due to its the heaviest of the bunch and I don't find it as easy to plug n play without outboard eq of some kind... tho all mags benefit from a nice low-mid cut and eq to optimize their tone. However, the Sunrise when dialed in with say for example an Align EQ or Venue, it sounds awesome and many folks I like use them with great success.

***** If I did not prefer the body tone the M80 offers for my reggae style of playing, I would go for the Black Angel because your close to the Sunrise in tone with more of a plug n play way with way less weight/dampening and less cost. I like the Angel's flatter eq response and the on-board phase switch is a great feature on stage... something that I have use daily in my shows as I have it on my amp and my Martin F1Aura 00018. The BA is also very compatible as part of a dual source system and that phase switch would come in handy in that regard too.

In conclusion it also matters to a degree the type of guitar to make a winning combo. Isn't the GS5 a larger cedar over mahogany? Lots of resonance in that model, I've played many. So in the OP's case I would recommend the Black Angel, I wasn't crazy about my M1 on the low end, M80 was a big improvement... I've played mags for years from late 70's and the choices we now have are remarkable imo. I've yet to try the Schertler, but AGF member Ikingston loves his and feels it works well for his style, so there is another great option.

Best wishes!

Last edited by noledog; 12-27-2018 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:04 PM
Guest 2223

Thanks for all of the responses. As of now I’m really leaning towards the Black Angel. I feel like it is a good platform to upgrade via different preamps and maybe eventually being part of a dual source. Unfortunately the car just started misfiring so I have to replace some fuel injectors before I get a new pickup
Old 01-24-2019, 01:16 PM

1. Here are the Black Angel and Sunrise side by side:

https://youtu.be/ypbj3wInkr8
Different guitars and pres, but the Angel holds up well. Sungha Jung (right) has in the past blended the Sunrise with the Oval Witz. I don't know if that was the case here and if so to what degree, but the Sunrise still shines through.

2. And here is a blend of the Amulet and Sunrise:

https://youtu.be/Zmc4yGcOQTs
Old 01-24-2019, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

Questions regarding the Black Angel: Is it easy to remove and replace? Can it be run without a preamp?
I'm looking for a plug and play option that would work for an open mic situation. That is put the pickup in (without removing strings), show up, plug into the board, and then take it back out when I get home. I wouldn't expect perfection in this situation (vs having the luxury of a preamp/set up time), but would like something that is "good enough"
Thx

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification