The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-12-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Thank you Mau, I went to his website before posting that and I could not find the base price listed anywhere I looked. I went under his guitars for sale and looked at the first two listed, one was over 16 and the other over $21,000 so I made an assumption based on those numbers that the base would likely be over 9000.

Thanks for the info.
The various options add up quickly...

If you go to this page (http://www.ryanguitars.com/KRG-GuitarFamily.html), click on any model and then click on "Prices/Options", you'll find what you're looking for.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Once you decide what you like, I'll bet you can find a used one and save a lot of your money. Or you can buy twice the guitar that you can buy with 9k new.

i've gone both routes, the building process is fun but it can be very slow. There is something to be said for finding a guitar that fits your needs, being able to play it, see it and buy it.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

Default True

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Kevin Ryan's base price is under $9,000.
And that includes a cedar top
Old 01-12-2016, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thank you Mau, I went to his website before posting that and I could not find the base price listed anywhere I looked. I went under his guitars for sale and looked at the first two listed, one was over 16 and the other over $21,000 so I made an assumption based on those numbers that the base would likely be over 9000.

Thanks for the info.
Speaking of Ryan, there's a good one at Mighty Fine Guitars with I believe a cedar top, and definitely in OP's price range.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
All three of those names are cream of the crop, no doubt some of the best in the world, however, I think the base price of these is probably more than the budget....I think Olson base is 13,000.00. This is easily checked on their websites.

Many fantastic builders (one I think you are very familiar with) have base prices from 4-5000 for example, will build a truly world class killer guitar and you would have room for some upgrades like different woods, cutaways, binding and purfling choices etc. etc. I know Mark Hatcher loves Cedar tops also BTW as do many others.

Peace out, hope all is well in the East Marcus!!!
As others have pointed out already, a Ryan does indeed start below 9K and I truly believe based on your requirements, it would be something for you to consider!

Thanks Tom! It is definitely warmer here than where you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
Speaking of Ryan, there's a good one at Mighty Fine Guitars with I believe a cedar top, and definitely in OP's price range.
I think the Ryan you're speaking of might have been snatched up by Josh's mother already if I am not mistaken

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 01-14-2016, 12:57 PM

Default below 9000

I think Laurent Brondel is below that base price, great guitars!
Old 01-14-2016, 01:23 PM

Hello, Guitar Friends--For a first luthier-built guitar, I think you can do really, really well for about half of $9,000. If you want a more "modern sounding" voice, I would look at the guitars of Ken Franklin, maybe Brad Daniels. I have instruments by both these makers, which don't take a back seat to any hand-built guitars I have ever played, just fantastic guitars. For a more "vintage" sound, I would look at makers such as Pat Foster, Dana Bourgeois, Jimmy Caldwell. Can't go wrong with any of these guys, either. In either case, you'd still have easily $4,000 left over. Then as you progress in your guitar journey, you'd have some cash left to fund an additional purchase down the road. This is what I would be tempted to do, at any rate. Best, Jack
Old 01-14-2016, 01:41 PM

Bill Kraus from Middleport, NY is not to be overlooked either! I had him build me an OM and it is off the charts in terms of craftsmanship and quality. I have the good fortune of owning 15 Martins, 6 of which are prewar so I know a great quality instrument. Do yourself a favor and have a chat with Bill, try one of his guitars. I doubt you'd be disappointed!
Old 01-14-2016, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
As others have pointed out already, a Ryan does indeed start below 9K and I truly believe based on your requirements, it would be something for you to consider!

Thanks Tom! It is definitely warmer here than where you are

I think the Ryan you're speaking of might have been snatched up by Josh's mother already if I am not mistaken
Haha, good for everyone involved
Old 01-14-2016, 07:01 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

This might be one of the best guitars on Earth. Admittedly slightly more than what you had in mind, and wood choices are a little different but IMHO tonally in the same ballpark as what you're looking for.

http://www.dreamguitars.com/detail/2...s_tunnel_13_7/
Old 01-14-2016, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

I'm not sure what Steve Kauffman charges for non-Klein guitars, but he's worth talking to--the guitar he built for me is the best guitar in the known universe for what I do.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:15 PM

Lots of great, well thought out responses and suggestions, just wondering if the original OP is even looking at the thread as EJW93 has not responded to any of it....BTW, I have the greatest guitar in the world
Old 01-14-2016, 11:43 PM

For probably a different kind of guitar from your current guitars, I would suggest Michael Bashkin. Plancencia om sized model. He makes absolutely incredible contemporary sounding guitars that retain the power and bass to be more versatile as well. And there's no guitar that has the distinctive aesthetic look that a Bashkin has.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:11 AM

Guys,

Thanks for all the great advice. It's given me a lot to take a look at. I've never even heard of a bunch of these builders, so on I go to do research. I'm going to try and get out to some of the boutique shops to play- will need to get some "strategically located"work trips scheduled!

Thanks for all the opinions, guidance and comments, I greatly appreciate it!

NKForster Model B (Nov '07)
Old 01-20-2016, 01:04 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Olson-Acoust.../141882473283?

Thought this might interest you or anyone else here as they do not come up often or for long.
It may be too early for you to make a decision until you have done all your research (which just might lead you back here!).

Lots of love for Kevin Ryan also, particularly his Mission.
All the best in your quest.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop