The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-08-2010, 06:30 PM

Default Chasing Perfection...

This is the first time ever showing this to the public!

I've been working on a Prototype fingerstyle guitar for 14 years now. The first prototype was shorter and smaller than what it's morphed into. Well and the first one really sucked too, but I learned something. I've been changing no more than 2 small things on every build so I can have an idea of what I'm actually changing. Over the past 14 years I've built 16 of these. This is #17. The last 3 or so I've been very tempted to call it good, but I'm still hoping to get that last 10% of the tone that's in my head. Perhaps it's a bit premature to show this off, but the tone that comes from this box is amazing. I'm REALLY thinking this is going to be the one. It's 15.5" at the lower bout, and 4.4" deep. 25.5" Scale.

I started off with a rather traditional bracing but testing limits of deflection/angles. Once those were established I went into various changes attempting to maximize different modes. After finding a few things that worked (and more that didn't!) I've moved into alternate bracing schemes. Over the past 4-5 I've just been making smaller more subtle changes to the design trying to refine it. I still think there is 1 or 2 things I could change, but these are pretty predictable to me so I have no problem incorporating them on the fly as needed.

I'm also pretty excited because I'm using very low grade woods. While it's mainly visual they are not ideal woods for this style of guitar. Never the less I wasn't about to build a Brazilian/European prototype! At any rate here is a sneak peak of protoype #17. First sharp cutaway I've done in a while too....I remember why I hate binding them! Here's hoping this is the last protoype, but if not well then #18 is up next! I plan on bringing 2-3 of this model to healdsburg next year.

So while I'm positive I'll never catch "perfection" (whatever that is... it's all relative!) I've enjoyed chasing it in this model.

Last edited by JohnM; 08-08-2010 at 08:26 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:47 PM
AGF Sponsor

John, I really like the shape of this one. It's got a really "curvy" look and the transition from upper to lower bout is just perfect -- resulting in a very fluid aura. Looking forward to seeing pictures of it when it's all done.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Fay View Post
John, I really like the shape of this one. It's got a really "curvy" look and the transition from upper to lower bout is just perfect -- resulting in a very fluid aura. Looking forward to seeing pictures of it when it's all done.
Thanks Simon. This is the body shape I've used for the last 10 or so. I like it. It sits in the lap well and balances nicely. It feels like a slightly larger OM to me, but of course looks vastly more modern.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:39 PM

That is Very Exciting stuff to read... Thanks for sharing and allowing us to peak inside at the prototype (albeit the 17th iteration of it!)

Beautiful Shape!
Old 08-08-2010, 08:46 PM
AGF Sponsor

John, you are to be commended on the extensive research, and having the fortitude to keep plugging away. I look forward to hearing these at next year's H'burg.

Steve

(Oh yes--very pretty shape!)

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 08-08-2010, 09:30 PM

Looks cool.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
So while I'm positive I'll never catch "perfection" (whatever that is... it's all relative!) I've enjoyed chasing it in this model.
At a purely subjective level, I think your cutaway shape is "perfect"!
Old 08-09-2010, 03:09 AM

hopefully by the time you perfected it, I can be one of your customers.

Until then...time to save up.

I love the slope and cutaway.....just beautiful~!!
Old 08-09-2010, 04:36 AM

It's a never ending chase...
Old 08-09-2010, 08:15 AM
*mahoganut*

Very nice, John! I'm also looking forward to seeing some of its siblings at HGF '11!

Phil
Old 08-09-2010, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

homework is a %#$$$&*... but the best discoveries are made, by mistake. those woods look pretty nice to me-
Old 08-09-2010, 08:50 AM

I have to confess that I am still a newbie when it comes to custom guitars. At least, new enough that I remain fascinated by both the product and the process. Thanks, John, for giving us a glimpse of both. I look forward to hearing and seeing more about your progress with this project.

You're on my relatively short list of builders, should our former home ever actually sell and a few priorities met. A dream fingerstyle from a friend I've met here would be a dream indeed!

Just out of curiosity, what becomes of your prototypes?

cotten
Old 08-09-2010, 09:21 AM

John, you're killing me. I was going to skip 2011, but now I might have to go to see your new guitars! Time to take the family to CA.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:23 AM
Humanist

Cutaway = me likey the shapey.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 08-09-2010, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

I think you already found perfection in the form of my MJ-55 and my late SD-43! Thanks for sharing this John. If this one doesn't work out and you have to make #18, I could probably take #17 off your hands .

I'm still scheming ways to get my old SD-43 back but unfortunately my MJ might have to move on to make that happen. Life is full of tough choices!

As a side note people who are reading this Mayes Guitars are insanely good, I've had the pleasure of owning two of his newer builds and they surpassed my expectations which are very very high, I also had a chance to compare them too a bunch of other famous solo luthiers guitars and a bunch of high end boutique stuff and Mayes guitars sounded better and were more responsive and projected better. You can't go wrong ordering a Mayes Guitar!!

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23

Last edited by SuperB23; 08-09-2010 at 09:42 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop