The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-29-2020, 08:58 PM

Default Schertler Roy

I did a search and found no feedback on the Schertler Roy here on AGF. Must be some players with experience with this amp. Pro's and con's? I'm looking to get awesome, natural sound from a couple of my high end, lightly braced acoustics with some vocals. I play bare finger style. Some effects as I feel the urge to experiment. I'll be blending a DP 4066 and Sennheiser e914 condenser mic's, and using a dynamic Sennheiser mic for vocals. Just want to get the finest sound I can in the $2000 range. Not planning any large venues, so I wont need much of the volume this thing is capable of. I know it's 50lbs and heavier than some of you would tolerate. Just keeping myself busy playing out in my retirement years coming up in a few. I've heard the price is about to go up, so I'm considering buying soon. Also looking at the ACUS one AD

Any input will be appreciated. Thanks,
Old 07-30-2020, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.blay View Post
I did a search and found no feedback on the Schertler Roy here on AGF. Must be some players with experience with this amp. Pro's and con's? I'm looking to get awesome, natural sound from a couple of my high end, lightly braced acoustics with some vocals. I play bare finger style. Some effects as I feel the urge to experiment. I'll be blending a DP 4066 and Sennheiser e914 condenser mic's, and using a dynamic Sennheiser mic for vocals. Just want to get the finest sound I can in the $2000 range. Not planning any large venues, so I wont need much of the volume this thing is capable of. I know it's 50lbs and heavier than some of you would tolerate. Just keeping myself busy playing out in my retirement years coming up in a few. I've heard the price is about to go up, so I'm considering buying soon. Also looking at the ACUS one AD

Any input will be appreciated. Thanks,
there are quite a few posts on the Roy, here's one for you...

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...=schertler+roy
Old 07-30-2020, 05:02 AM

I too was looking at both models
I think you would be happier with
The roy. Schertler makes good stuf.
I had asked here about the acus ad
And from what I can find their CS is non
Existant and reliability is questionable.
Sound quality is stellar on both.
I decided to buy schertlers sub and
Try it with my cp8. Crossover at 200hz
Has me intriqued.
We will see. If I dont
Like it I can get the unico. I dont need to
Schlep around the roy and I also have a d68
Which I can bring to small venues.
I use a small foldable dolly. If I have to go up
3 flights of stairs I'll book a different venue.
Old 07-30-2020, 02:10 PM

I absolutely LOVE my Schertler Roy. I have a little cart from Harbor freight for moving it.

It produces a full bass that you can feel even at the lowest volumes. The Bose L1 does that as well but I wasn't expecting it from a one piece amp. It really sounds like a subwoofer system. In fact, I have even used it at smaller listening room level rooms where my smaller Elite Acoustics amp would suffice just because I love the low frequencies from this amp so much.

The sound dispersion is fantastic. This is because the two eight inch speakers and tweeter are arranged in an MTM design. This design distributes sound on a horizontal plane like a blanket. The MTM design is also why the bass sounds so good.

The preamps are wonderful: easily as good as any high end outboard preamps.

I didn't like reverb when I first heard it at home because you can hear the rapid individual delay stage sequence. This disappears though in any live room though because the room acoustics fill in the gaps. It has a digital reverb and a second dsp multi-effect. I use that for delay.

The Roy doesn't have a pole mount. It really should. I put one on and use it on a short heavy duty stand. I don't raise it that high: just a few feet off the ground where I can still easily get to the controls. It is a serious oversight that the didn't do this. Count on adding the mount if you get one.

The audio fidelity of the Roy is astonishing. I also have a Schertler AG6/S-Mic pickup on my guitar and use an Audix OM-5 mic. The sound is as close to perfect as I've ever experienced with a small portable system.

It also sounds wonderful with my Godin Multiac.
Old 07-30-2020, 03:02 PM

I have tried and returned many, many acoustic amps including most of the popular ones often mentioned on this forum. While some produced decent enough guitar channel tone I never found one that sounded really nice on the vocal channel until I discovered Schertler amps.

I have their Jam 100 amp which I find great for the smaller venues I play in. For larger places I use my Bose L1c or a PA.
Yamaha FSX800C
Bose L1c
Schertler Jam 100
Gretsch G2655
Gretsch G5655T
Old 07-30-2020, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
I too was looking at both models
I think you would be happier with
The roy. Schertler makes good stuf.
I had asked here about the acus ad
And from what I can find their CS is non
Existant and reliability is questionable.
Sound quality is stellar on both.
Has me intriqued.
We will see. If I dont
I would like to hear your opinion of the D68 being used with the BASS sub. Yeah, please let me know what you think about the various combinations you try the sub with!
Old 07-30-2020, 03:28 PM

Thanks for the feedback. The link was also full of great info. Strange it didn't show up when I searched "Acoustic Amplification."
Seems like it's going to be the Roy for me. I also have been looking at the Elite D-6 and the Elite Stompmix 4&6. I believe the Stompmix would work great for blending my guitar mic's. Plus, the additional effects would be a real compliment to the Roy.

Thanks everyone. Love this forum.
Old 07-30-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulin View Post
While some produced decent enough guitar channel tone I never found one that sounded really nice on the vocal channel until I discovered Schertler amps.

I have their Jam 100 amp which I find great for the smaller venues I play in. For larger places I use my Bose L1c or a PA.
Yeah, it's the vocals for me as well. I also tried and resold a number of amps that sounded fine on guitar, just not on vocals. I love the vocal sound on my Schertler and Elite Acoustics amps. I love the vocal sound on the Bose stuff as well.
Old 07-30-2020, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Has me intriqued.
We will see. If I dont
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
I would like to hear your opinion of the D68 being used with the BASS sub. Yeah, please let me know what you think about the various combinations you try the sub with!
Rockabilly
Yes the sub hasn't even been shipped yet. At least I haven't received any notifications from
The seller ..But I think the cp8 might work
Even better.. I like the idea of the d68 and the sub for up to a medium venue. The built in mixer
In the d68 of course means one less thing to bring. The cp8 has a setting to use with a sub.
The sub manual says the crossover is 200hz.
So everything above should be sent to the d68
Or the qsc..I'm psyched to try both. I'll do a
NAD post after I have a chance to play. But gigs
Are scarce right now. I have a booking in a week
so hopefully the sub Will arrive with a day to
spare to try it out .
Thx for your help..appreciate it.

Last edited by varmonter; 07-30-2020 at 09:17 PM.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Rockabilly
Yes the sub hasn't even been shipped yet. At least I haven't received any notifications from
Djangobooks yet. But I think the cp8 might work
Even better..but I like the idea of the d68 and the sub for up to a medium venue. The built in mixer
In the d68 of course means one less thing to bring. The cp8 has a setting to use with a sub.
But the sub manual says the crossover is 200hz.
So everything above should be sent to the d68
Or the qsc..I'm psyched to try both. I'll do a
NAD post after I have a chance to play. But gigs
Are scarce right now. I have a booking in a week
so hopefully the sub Will arrive with a day to
spare to try it out .
Thx for your help..appreciate it.
I think you are going to love this sub, especially flying your smaller rigs on pole above it. Like their amps this little Schertler puts out solid tight bass. I also use it with my Genzler Pro Array amp, and it really makes that amp into a contender.

I've been looking at those Elite Acoustics top of the line models with bad intent, especially the big 120 watt model But like you, my gigging has slowed down to a crawl (I did 10 gigs this month where I normally do between 25-30), so I can't spend money right because all I do is gig for a living.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
I think you are going to love this sub, especially flying your smaller rigs on pole above it. Like their amps this little Schertler puts out solid tight bass. I also use it with my Genzler Pro Array amp, and it really makes that amp into a contender.

I've been looking at those Elite Acoustics top of the line models with bad intent, especially the big 120 watt model But like you, my gigging has slowed down to a crawl (I did 10 gigs this month where I normally do between 25-30), so I can't spend money right because all I do is gig for a living.
I hope things open up for all of us soon.
I think if I was going to get an Elite acoustics again I'd go the d6-58 route. Not only the 120
Watts but the side pole mount. Being able
To see the controls when it's up on a pole was
A brilliant idea..the one con to the d68.
Old 08-01-2020, 12:21 AM

Quote:
I hope things open up for all of us soon.
I think if I was going to get an Elite acoustics again I'd go the d6-58 route. Not only the 120
Watts but the side pole mount. Being able
To see the controls when it's up on a pole was
A brilliant idea..the one con to the d68.
I agree that would be great!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification