The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-19-2020, 12:50 PM

I run Logic Pro X on a 27" iMac. My interface is an older MTU Ultralite MK (with Firewire 400!). I convert that FW400 to Thunderbolt 3 to iMac. I have no latency issues to speak of.

A couple years ago I was using this same Ultralite, connected via FW400 to a 2006 Mac tower. There were latency issue then. Now that I trashed that computer and using this new one, all seems well.

I do know that latency can be an issue for any system when you start piling on the effects (compression, reverb, etc) to channel strips **while recording**. I will temporarily turn off some of those plug ins if I'm tracking.
Old 06-19-2020, 05:30 PM

There are many options for USB interfaces now that all work pretty well with Windows and almost any DAW.

But, a more clunky approach that you might like is to use a standalone to just record the tracks and then use a DAW to mix and master. That way you don't need to worry about how well the computer and interface work, and can mix with a computer. I have a Zoom 16 I sometimes do that with if I'm lazy. I'll just record a track, switch the input to another track and record, and so on, and then I bring it into a DAW so I don't have to mix on the Zoom which is a PITA.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 06-19-2020, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
There are many options for USB interfaces now that all work pretty well with Windows and almost any DAW.

But, a more clunky approach that you might like is to use a standalone to just record the tracks and then use a DAW to mix and master. That way you don't need to worry about how well the computer and interface work, and can mix with a computer. I have a Zoom 16 I sometimes do that with if I'm lazy. I'll just record a track, switch the input to another track and record, and so on, and then I bring it into a DAW so I don't have to mix on the Zoom which is a PITA.
I don't think it's a "more clunky approach" at all. Editing on a stand-alone is a PITA, but they are great when you use them for what they are best at.

I've done a number a live remote recordings of bands with the R24, and it's great to use only the R24, a bunch of condenser mics, and a set of headphones.

Importing 24 bit recordings into a computer and doing editing in a DAW makes total sense. I never have to worry about computer noise, latency, or any of the other stuff that makes recording a less than enjoyable process. Folks are always surprised that you can offer them the ability to be recorded in a setting that they are already comfortable with, and that the process is so easy and unobtrusive.

Any small additions such as overdubbed vocals or corrections to instrumental parts that end up being less than perfect are easy to deal with in a small home studio environment.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD