The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-19-2020, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
This is exactly how I use my H4N and and it works like a charm.

Are you using just the XY mic or are you mixing in guitar with the two mic/line inputs?
Old 05-19-2020, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
What is that issue with the H5? I just tried my H6 (with the SGH-6 mic) as an iPad USB mic and I was very pleased. Is the H5 different?
I don't know what causes the issue, but it appears that when the H5 is used as an interface is gives a distorted result. A number of posts on various forums describe the result as a phasey or tinny sound, and a lot of the complaints are specific to acoustic guitar recordings. You can find plenty of these with a web search, here are a couple:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/newb...e-problem.html

There are several posts about this issue on Gearslutz.

And on the REAPER forum: https://forums.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=183827

The issue doesn't appear to affect the H6 or other Zoom recorders. I haven't heard of any resolution.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 05-20-2020, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Are you using just the XY mic or are you mixing in guitar with the two mic/line inputs?
I have used both the XY mics and the XLR inputs direct to iPad. But I have not tried to record using the mics and the XLR inputs simultaneously.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:30 AM

The Zoom H6 has an interface mode especially for IOS. It mixes the six inputs down to a stereo pair and records that stereo mix. That’s the mode I was using here:

http://Zoom H6, SSH-6, AG6/S-mic tes...d.php?t=581708
Old 05-22-2020, 10:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
The iZotope Spire is worth a look too if you are considering one of the Zoom recorders. I have both a Spire and H5 and find the Spire is bit easier to use than the Zoom. Both are great quality products to get you started with home recording. They work pretty good with their supplied on board mics but you have the option to use higher quality outboard mics with both. I find it works best to take my audio files from both to my DAW and do mixing and EQ. I use Reaper as my DAW.

Good luck, it’s a fun rabbit hole to fall into!
I’ll second looking at the Spire - I’n finding it a real pleasure to use -
Old 05-22-2020, 10:51 PM

Default zoom (h4 vs h5 vs h6, etc.)

The Spire is cool if you are recording no more than two sources at a time and want to experiment with multitracking. The Zoom H recorders are better for recording a couple of musicians all at once (especially the H6). They really aren’t direct competitors, although either one will let you record guitar and voice separately at once.

Here is a recording that done on a Zoom recorder that you couldn’t do on a Spire:

https://youtu.be/1oP2X0yLfHY
Old 05-23-2020, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
I don't know what causes the issue, but it appears that when the H5 is used as an interface is gives a distorted result. A number of posts on various forums describe the result as a phasey or tinny sound, and a lot of the complaints are specific to acoustic guitar recordings. You can find plenty of these with a web search, here are a couple:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/newb...e-problem.html

There are several posts about this issue on Gearslutz.

And on the REAPER forum: https://forums.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=183827

The issue doesn't appear to affect the H6 or other Zoom recorders. I haven't heard of any resolution.

Fran
This has actually been addressed now — the Zoom website had the wrong Firmware driver uploaded and mis-titled, so folks had a driver for a different model in use with their H5. If you update the firmware on your H5 from the site now, you have the correct file and it works properly as an interface again.

Hopefully this will help anyone having that issue, so I may post it in the main recording section too.

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3
Old 05-23-2020, 07:50 AM

I’m a big fan of the zoom devices — I’ve still got a H4 I bought in 2011 and use it if I’m recording anywhere outside my home.

I’ve got a Q8 too, and I have a H5 mounted on top of my DSLR for work (it belongs to them though).

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3
Old 05-23-2020, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The Spire is cool if you are recording no more than two sources at a time and want to experiment with multitracking. The Zoom H recorders are better for recording a couple of musicians all at once (especially the H6). They really aren’t direct competitors, although either one will let you record guitar and voice separately at once.

Here is a recording that done on a Zoom recorder that you couldn’t do on a Spire:

https://youtu.be/1oP2X0yLfHY
Thats a great recording, but why couldn’t it be done on a Spire? Looks to me like an omnidirectional mic and a plugged in bass, so 2 channels essentially, which is exactly what the Spire would do, without having to bring a mic with you - Please let me know what I’m missing there?

For me, the iphone interface and controls make the Spire a much easier device for a tech challenged musician -
Old 05-23-2020, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

I had an H4N for many years that I used mostly for work (audio capture during DSLR videography). The AC input failed and I was able to upgrade to an H4N Pro with a discount from Zoom. I have since fallen back in love with the H4N series. I've also used it to capture my noisy rock band gigs on the auto level setting and as long as the FOH mix is good, it's usually decent.

The boot up time is a bit of a drag but it seems to be an issue across the line.

The Zoom is great for is quickly capturing song ideas without a ton of futzing around and without the distractions of a DAW. Also, I find myself in a better frame of mind when I don't have a computer screen in front of me. I think the onboard mics are pretty dang good and the monitoring is a fun way to mess with basic DIY room treatments and mic (Zoom) placement. I recommend using a nice long headphone cable extension because any cable movement will be audible with onboard mics.

I use my iphone memos for basic ideas on the fly and then once I have things a little more together, use the Zoom on board mics for guitar and a 2035 for vocals to capture a performance.

It's got a very helpful click track built in, a tuner and lots more...I don't use probably 1/10th of the features. I add effects in Logic if I get a performance that I like.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
Thats a great recording, but why couldn’t it be done on a Spire? Looks to me like an omnidirectional mic and a plugged in bass, so 2 channels essentially, which is exactly what the Spire would do, without having to bring a mic with you - Please let me know what I’m missing there?

For me, the iphone interface and controls make the Spire a much easier device for a tech challenged musician -

I was assuming they were also using the XY mic, but now that I think of it, they probably weren’t. If they aren’t, yeah it could have been done with a Spire.

The Zooms sort of shine for live recording though. Especially if you want to record multiple sources.

A common setup is everyone through the XY mic array and a line in for the bass.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaz761 View Post
I had an H4N for many years that I used mostly for work (audio capture during DSLR videography).

It's got a very helpful click track built in, a tuner and lots more...I don't use probably 1/10th of the features. I add effects in Logic if I get a performance that I like.
Hi jaz
I've never aspired to use all the features, just what I want/need.

Same with PhotoShop…I've used it professionally for editing portraits since 1993, and I probably use less than 50 of it's 'tool' features (of the thousands to choose from).

But those 50 are really important!

Same with my Zoom H4n. I just use it to capture audio for video, primarily because of quality remote recordings, XLR & Phantom mic abilities - and affordability. Great little workhorse!

I agree about the boot up times. I've never used the AC capability - it's just one more cord to manage, and early zooms, it sometimes added noise because many of the buildings were not up to code.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-23-2020, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorse View Post
This has actually been addressed now — the Zoom website had the wrong Firmware driver uploaded and mis-titled, so folks had a driver for a different model in use with their H5. If you update the firmware on your H5 from the site now, you have the correct file and it works properly as an interface again.

Hopefully this will help anyone having that issue, so I may post it in the main recording section too.
That's great news, I hope it gets out widely. Do you have a link to that explanation on the Zoom site?

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 05-23-2020, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I was assuming they were also using the XY mic, but now that I think of it, they probably weren’t. If they aren’t, yeah it could have been done with a Spire.

The Zooms sort of shine for live recording though. Especially if you want to record multiple sources.

A common setup is everyone through the XY mic array and a line in for the bass.
I hear what you’re saying, but I’m still just playing with this Spire, and it seems I can use the built in omni mic, plus plug in another omni mic, and move it to a better location for better separation, (Could be a plugged in instrument), then start and stop the recording remotely with my phone - not as flexible and feature packed perhaps, but built in rechargeable battery, one buttone sound check, and easily doing up to 8 tracks - I consider it very well designed and very easy for me to use, especially compared to the H4n I was using -

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD