The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-17-2020, 01:46 AM

Default Zoom H5 Background Noise

I haven’t used my Zoom H5 for over a year. When not in use, it’s always kept in its case and boxed, with the batteries taken out. I dug it out this weekend to do some recording, and the background noise from the XY module microphones is too loud. I can’t remember it being like that. To try and keep the background noise down, I’ve got the mic turned down to less than 4, and have moved the Zoom to 6 inches from the 12th fret. It’s still too noticeable, but hopefully I can reduce it with editing software.
Anyone else had this issue? Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks
Old 05-17-2020, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoustic_Stevo View Post
I haven’t used my Zoom H5 for over a year. When not in use, it’s always kept in its case and boxed, with the batteries taken out. I dug it out this weekend to do some recording, and the background noise from the XY module microphones is too loud. I can’t remember it being like that. To try and keep the background noise down, I’ve got the mic turned down to less than 4, and have moved the Zoom to 6 inches from the 12th fret. It’s still too noticeable, but hopefully I can reduce it with editing software.
Anyone else had this issue? Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks
Are you referring to "hiss" from the preamp stages the microphones feed, induced "hum" from RFI generated by your surroundings and/or lighting, or "room sound" which shows up as the reflected sound of your instrument or other external noise sources in the room?
Old 05-17-2020, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

I have the same issue. I'll use a setting around 5 which will have hiss, but I just found that Adobe Audition's hiss removing tool does a better job with it than with the noise removal tool.

I don't know why, but moving it up to around 6 really makes it worse. I wonder if there is a setting that has to be turned on (or off).

During non-sheltered in times I had the house to myself frequently and then I recorded with two AT2035 mics and didn't have that issue. I still had room sound, but that's another story.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-17-2020, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Surround the mic capsule (removable IIR, had an H6) with silica gel packs for a few days and see if it's possibly humidity induced - might be something to try at least.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Are you referring to "hiss" from the preamp stages the microphones feed, induced "hum" from RFI generated by your surroundings and/or lighting, or "room sound" which shows up as the reflected sound of your instrument or other external noise sources in the room?
It’s a “hiss” noise. I can’t remember it being as bad as this, last time I used it. Didn’t know if I had it set up wrong.
Old 05-17-2020, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Hi all…

Two thoughts come to mind.
  • 1-My hearing is more acute than when I purchased my first Zoom recorder (nearly 20 years ago). I hear things which I originally didn't (though they were plainly there) usually because I have better equipment in my arsenal, and have experience which gave me new listening skills.
  • 2-Equipment deteriorates over time.

There is a #3 - the equipment I use to monitor my recordings has vastly improved (be it headphones, speakers or monitors).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-17-2020, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

I found this on youtube. I didn't test it out yet, but the premise is that lowering the input gain to lower the sound floor hiss and then bring the gain up in post eq actually makes it worse to deal with. He uses a Zoom H5 for the examples.

Tonight I'll try some comparison recordings with 5 gain, 6 gain, 7 gain and 8 gain and see what happens.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-17-2020, 11:29 AM

I just got a brand new H6 and I am surprised at how audible the hiss is.
Old 05-17-2020, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

Hi folks…
I want to wade back in on the topic…Round Two

Nobody has discussed proper gain staging yet. The video Barry posted is dealing with a signal generator, which differs substantially with live playing (which varies up/down in volume constantly).

My premise is that there are two volumes involved for live playing, and one if vastly more important than the other for most home-recordists…it is INPUT gain. The other is the master derived directly from an amp, which is then passed on to a mixing console or into a recording-system/PA.

Input volume - I call gain
Output volume - I call Master volume

Generally when I record, only the input gain is used. If I have time to experiment when recording, I set gain on the player/singer as high as possible till I get slight overload/distortion/redline, and then back the input gain down a couple db. If I don't have time, then I set it at around -12db to be safe. If I'm recording a guitar run through effects pedals, or an external preamp, then I have to gain stage.

I find just defaulting to -12db on input gain is more-than-safe, and there is likely room to lower the inherent noise floor by recording a hotter signal backed off a couple db than just bailing out at -12db. Part of the reason for this on small recorders is -12db on a $300 recorder's meter is likely not accurate as a high end preamp.

Depending on whether I'm going to be importing and remixing a recording by actually 'playing' the recording and re-recording it (which is rare)only then do I have to worry about Master volume output.

The only place I encounter actual gain-staging these days is pedal boards going into actual physical guitar amps. It's pretty critical when one is attempting to have a very clean, crystal clear and pristine tone from the amp after running through a group of pedals.

Most of my recordings are transferred/imported digitally directly into mixing software, where I'm able to adjust the volume and effects. The master volume doesn't really come into play till mix-down. Unless I'm wearing phones while recording (a rarity on my Zoom recorders), the master is turned off because it doesn't have any effect on the volume of the recording.

I often discover my H1n, H2n, and H4n recordings directly transferred can withstand an additional boost in volume in post without suffering noticeable noise floor increases, or distortion. Especially the ones I generically set to -12db (to be safe).

Does this match what you guys are experiencing?

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-17-2020, 08:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi folks…
I want to wade back in on the topic…Round Two

Nobody has discussed proper gain staging yet. The video Barry posted is dealing with a signal generator, which differs substantially with live playing (which varies up/down in volume constantly).

My premise is that there are two volumes involved for live playing, and one if vastly more important than the other for most home-recordists…it is INPUT gain. The other is the master derived directly from an amp, which is then passed on to a mixing console or into a recording-system/PA.

Input volume - I call gain
Output volume - I call Master volume

Generally when I record, only the input gain is used. If I have time to experiment when recording, I set gain on the player/singer as high as possible till I get slight overload/distortion/redline, and then back the input gain down a couple db. If I don't have time, then I set it at around -12db to be safe. If I'm recording a guitar run through effects pedals, or an external preamp, then I have to gain stage.

I find just defaulting to -12db on input gain is more-than-safe, and there is likely room to lower the inherent noise floor by recording a hotter signal backed off a couple db than just bailing out at -12db. Part of the reason for this on small recorders is -12db on a $300 recorder's meter is likely not accurate as a high end preamp.

Depending on whether I'm going to be importing and remixing a recording by actually 'playing' the recording and re-recording it (which is rare)only then do I have to worry about Master volume output.

The only place I encounter actual gain-staging these days is pedal boards going into actual physical guitar amps. It's pretty critical when one is attempting to have a very clean, crystal clear and pristine tone from the amp after running through a group of pedals.

Most of my recordings are transferred/imported digitally directly into mixing software, where I'm able to adjust the volume and effects. The master volume doesn't really come into play till mix-down. Unless I'm wearing phones while recording (a rarity on my Zoom recorders), the master is turned off because it doesn't have any effect on the volume of the recording.

I often discover my H1n, H2n, and H4n recordings directly transferred can withstand an additional boost in volume in post without suffering noticeable noise floor increases, or distortion. Especially the ones I generically set to -12db (to be safe).

Does this match what you guys are experiencing?

Larry,

In my case I found it was just room noise. I went out to my garage which is very quiet (no room directly above it) and the only slight hum I heard and the Zoom picked up was my son's a/c unit which is on the second floor and is in a window overlooking the roof of the garage.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-17-2020, 11:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Larry,

In my case I found it was just room noise. I went out to my garage which is very quiet (no room directly above it) and the only slight hum I heard and the Zoom picked up was my son's a/c unit which is on the second floor and is in a window overlooking the roof of the garage.
Hi Barry
Easy fix…

I operated a studio from our basement, and I'd have to turn the heat down to kill the boiler (hot water baseboard heat), and go upstairs and ask people not to walk around, turn on water, or flush the toilet. Noise pollution can be a challenge!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD