The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-01-2020, 09:07 PM

Default Home Studio Suggestions... Thanks!

I play by myself (acoustic + vocals) and normally need two additional inputs for guests (acoustic + vocals -or- acoustic + acoustic).

I have a nice live setup (at least in my opinion) with a Yamaha MG10XU and two QSC K8v2 speakers. We also use a Bose S1 as a monitor sometimes.

I have a Tak with built in electronics, a Senheiser E835 and a GLS ES-58. I also have an iPhone 11 Pro.

Anyway, I want to do "Josh Turner" style home video/audio recordings with me and a guest. Throw down all at once and try to get the best mix/blend of everything without too much hassle getting in the way of the music.

Other than just plugging in the 11 Pro and going for it, is there some solution where I can spend another $500 to $1000 and end up with something MUCH better?

I tried micing everything up through the MG10XU and then mixing in Audacity / KdenLive and it seems a bit better audio quality but maybe I'm missing something and don't mind spending a bit to get there.

Any ideas appreciated!
Old 05-01-2020, 09:13 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Likely, you’ll be presented with a number of options. As a novice recorder, I’m not the best one to offer a recommendation, but I did spend a good amount of time reviewing options here for something easy to use with good results...at least with skilled players. For what you’re wanting to do, perhaps consider the Spire Studio. This thread has lots of favorable discussion.
Old 05-01-2020, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggyBottomBoy View Post
I tried micing everything up through the MG10XU and then mixing in Audacity / KdenLive and it seems a bit better audio quality but maybe I'm missing something and don't mind spending a bit to get there.
You are on the right track with micing/mixing everything separately and then mixing the audio to get the best balance & quality.

The next step to "MUCH better" probably has three parts to continue in that vein:

1. Get a mixer or audio interface that will allow you to record 4 tracks at once, so you have better separation and control of the mix (whether you use Audacity or another DAW).

For example, a Focusrite 18i8 gives you 4 mic inputs, as well as 4 more line inputs, for $400. If you wanted to stick with the mixer format, an Allen&Heath Zedi-10FX ($280) can record 4 channels; the Soundcraft Signature 12 MTK ($500) has 8 channels and can record up to 14 by USB.

2. Mic the guitars & acoustic instruments, preferably with condenser mics.

There are plenty of pretty good condensers out there between $100-300. Stick to the low end, and you could get a couple more for vocals and still be under $1000.

You can get decent results with something like an AT2035 ($150) or even Behringer B1 ($120), or spend a bit more for, say, a Rode NT1A ($230). Those are large diaphragm condensers which would be used for instruments or vocals. For acoustic instruments, a small-diameter condenser like a Rode NT5 ($220) would do nicely. I'm sure others can chime in with their favorite mics, but any of these will give you good results and you can upgrade later.

I love my $1000 Shure KSM44, but in some circumstances my $100 Behringer B1 holds its own and gets the job done (and def sounds better than an SM58)!

3. Learn how to use Audacity to mix your tracks well.

In fact, as a former Audacity user who now uses Reaper, I'd recommend getting a different DAW--so many things are far, far easier in a full-featured program. Reaper is only $60, but you can get inexpensive versions of other DAWs. Sometimes hardware, like the Focusrite interfaces, actually comes with a version of DAW software you can get free.

Of course, then you need mic stands, have to get everything set up if you don't have a "studio" where you can leave things in place.... Not exactly "plunk down and go". But that's the tradeoff for better audio quality, IMO.
Old 05-02-2020, 10:22 AM

I should leave this sort of thing to more knowledgeable folks with better ears, but assuming what you're aiming for is video with good quality audio to be uploaded after it's all polished up and edited I'd endorse these ideas:

It's likely best if you keep every track/audio as separate as possible until you mix. Yes, even though you're going to have bleed, because you're shooting a video not creating an audio-only recording. Experienced players with good mic technique can make this a moot point however. If budget is limited consider that technique can replace hardware.

I used to use a mixer all the time, and there's something to the sliding faders and easy to grab knobs. But if you're not adjusting the mixer often (is there going to be someone "working sound" while you're recording? Lots of re-patching for new instrument setups?) the rotary knobs of interfaces along with the controls in DAW software can serve well. In my studio space I use a Focusrite 18i20 which has more than enough inputs for your estimated needs and serves as my "mixer" for just having a fun jam without any recording being done.

AGP'er GlennWillow has an excellent video on how he does his videos.

Well worth watching.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

Last edited by FrankHudson; 05-02-2020 at 10:31 AM.
Old 05-02-2020, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Hi SBB…

I've followed Josh Turner for years…

Josh has used phones and Zoom recorders for years (recording and capturing audio separately from video), and really done a skillful job of on-the-cheap rigs. It's amazing to still see an original Zoom H2 (not a Zoom 2n) being used.

There is obvious care given to his clever and well done audio arrangements, and good enough video to pass muster with a loyal YouTube audience.

And he has great alliances with friends who are musical as well. And often he features other musicians (much to his credit) and the focus is on the song/team rather than only one player/singer.

Only in the last 18 months has he upped his game with better recording & camera gear (since he's started touring).

I don't think I've ever heard him elaborate on his editing software, but any reasonable DAW will have the features needed to emulate his style. He's very much a minimalist…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-02-2020, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

An interface with 4 mic preamps would be the first part to getting better recordings. Then you need the mics to be able to capture the different pieces. Probably past $500 quickly but there are [usually, or if you're patient] lots of options.

4 mic pre interfaces start with the Behringer UMC404HD and just about double in price quickly. Support and perhaps more experienced group of users (on forums) would be the primary reason to make that price jump, because these are all commodities, until you get into the $1k, $2k etc. realm. I have been satisfied with Focusrite, but there are lots of other brands that folks are satisfied with and many cost a bit less.

If you have only one dynamic mic, that covers one vocal. Do you need to cover 2 at the same time? More than 2 guitars at the same time?

You could probably get one LDC (RØDE NT1) and a pair of SDCs (RØDE M5) plus an interface, stands, cables, etc. for maybe $1k, though right now the audio interface selection is pathetic, since everyone seems to have gone out and bought one, and the supply side is slow to catch up. IOW, meeting your price point with maximum flexibility is going to be very limited.

Options for recording:
  • 1 guitar + 1 vocal: LDC guitar, dynamic vox; SDC+LDC guitar, dynamic vox; 2 SDCs on guitar, dynamic or LDC on vox, etc.
  • 2 guitars + 1 vocal: SDCs guitars, dynamic or LDC vox; SDC & LDC guitars, dynamic vox; etc.
  • 2 guitars + 2 vocals: SDCs guitars, dynamic & LDC on vocals
  • 3 guitars: 2 SDCs + LDC guitars
  • etc.

Now, you can record each track separately and mix, or record everything all at once, but with careful mic placement (and a decent room), control the bleed so that you are still able to balance the different parts well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD