The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 08-30-2019, 08:37 AM

I agree with many that the Gold Tone Paul Beard is worth the extra $ by far!

Gold Tone sells B stock on their site and on Reverb.

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-25-2020 at 04:37 AM.
Old 08-31-2019, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realbluesman View Post
I agree with many that the Gold Tone Paul Beard is worth the extra $ by far!

Gold Tone sells B stock on their site and on Reverb.
This is my recommendation too. I own the Gold Tone Paul Beard mahogany roundneck model. Its a high quality, beautiful sounding instrument. Used square neck ones can be had in your price range. Get one! You won't be disappointed.
Voyage Air VAOM-04
Gold Tone Paul Beard Resonator
2016 Gibson ES-335
2015 Les Paul Tribute P90
2015 Fender Telecaster

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-25-2020 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Edited quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:15 AM

The Gold Tone is very good. However, there are several others that are worth looking at. If you can find a used Wechter Scheerhorn they have a more modern 'open' tone than the Gold Tone. A lot - LOT of the tone in a reso is the spider and cone - so if you happen on a Regal that has been upgraded with a Beard or Quarterman cone at a good price check it out. Redline Resophonics has made some very nice 'bottom line' reso's also - but they are probably a little higher that what you want to pay.

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-25-2020 at 04:34 AM. Reason: Not allowed.
Old 11-01-2019, 06:29 AM

Still looking for one. What about the recording king 991? I played on this week and it seemed nice. Price is a about the same as the beard but I like the look better. Again, no clue about these.
Old 11-01-2019, 04:25 PM

Maybe you should do some more research. Your last post is for a metal-bodied round neck reso.

My suggestion is to decide first on square (lap) or round (traditional) neck, then on the body construction (metal vs wood), then on the type of resonator (biscuit or spider bridge). Then you might get some better advice here.
Old 11-02-2019, 08:15 AM

I don't know where you are located but if you are in the USA a Guitar Center might not be too far from you. Once you decide on round/square neck you can order a couple and have them shipped to the store, go in and sit down with them so you can play them side by side. Pick the one you want and GC will refund you on the one you reject.

Gold Tones are great but are more expensive than entry level. Regal, Recording King and Gretsch all make decent to good resos in the $500 range. No, they aren't Nationals but if you just want to get started without spending a lot of money they are excellent for that purpose.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:59 PM

Square neck Reso's are kind of a tough thing to shop for - if you find a store that has one or two, they are almost always the beginner Hound Dog and some sort of import cheapo, neither of which really give a good sound to even an experienced player. If you are lucky enough to try a broader variety, it is like Christmas. Because of this, you can either buy off of stranger's recommendations, or take a trip to try some things out.

Resonator recommendation kind of depends on the sound you want to get - if you want a traditional "uncle Josh" sound, then you will want a smaller bodied dobro or even an older used Dobro brand. If you want a more modern and full Jerry Douglas type sound, then you will want a larger body resonator. In the beginner price large body, there is a Recording King Phil Leadbetter signature model that is dang hard to beat. I actually started myself with the Gold Tone Paul Beard Solid Mahogany (PBSM), which is a fantastic reso, but if I were starting again I would either go with the Leadbetter or perhaps go straight to a top name instrument like a Beard.

On picks - this is much like anything else guitar and very much a personal style thing. I had a hard time finding finger picks that were comfortable, so I ended up with some called perfect touch, which fit farther up your finger. To start out though, I'd go to any local music store and find some of the cheapish dunlop or propiks. Thumb pick - much the same, and I landed on a blue chip but they are $40 apiece. You may want to start with something a bit more basic and make sure you like it before dropping money on picks.

Slide - again, you can spend upwards of $100 here and I really like my sheerhorn, but starting out I'd probably get a basic SHUBB SP3 or a lap dawg, which will run you around $35-40.

Other advice - if you're doing it much you will want a decent capo. For the money, the Walworth is my favorite. If you practice much, you will find that you burn through strings faster than on a regular acoustic guitar.

There is a decent resonator specific forum out there, and there is also some overlap in the lap steel community. Reso is a lot of fun to play if you can get the opportunity to take it out live.