The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-24-2019, 09:43 AM

OP here.
I contacted PayPal. They confirmed money transfered from my PayPal account to my bank account. I paid the extra yesterday for instant transfer.
They suggested calling my bank to verify funds and then initiate a refund.
Now i am not sure how to do this. Do i start refund procedures through Reverb or PayPal?
Old 03-24-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsstrider View Post
OP here.
I contacted PayPal. They confirmed money transfered from my PayPal account to my bank account. I paid the extra yesterday for instant transfer.
They suggested calling my bank to verify funds and then initiate a refund.
Now i am not sure how to do this. Do i start refund procedures through Reverb or PayPal?
You start them through Reverb. It's actually really simple.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:55 AM

Cancel the sale .
Old 03-24-2019, 10:02 AM

You cancel the sale through Reverb. Then, you refund the money through PayPal.

First, no telephone number can tell you where a person is calling from. It's 2019 and everyone moves without obtaining a new telephone number that reflects where they currently are. Next, Reverb offers seller's protection as well as the verified buyer and verified shipping address. If you sell an item, use Reverb's shipping label through your selected shipper, only ship to the verified address provided automatically on your shipping and packing labels and only ship to the verified buyer, have seller's protection and receive a delivery confirmation, you will be fine. Deviate from any of these at your own risk.

If everything is done through Reverb messaging, Reverb shipping, Reverb protection and Reverb sanctioned payments - I've never seen or heard of an issue. Most people get into trouble by not adhering to one, or more, of these policies.

All that said, never go against your gut. If YOU don't feel secure doing this, don't do it.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:14 AM

Sound familiar?

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=541855
Old 03-24-2019, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

You can call off the sale, but why not just reach out to the seller, express your concerns, and see what they have to say? Ask for a phone number and speak to them personally. If you still have a bad vibe after you do this, then bail...

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 03-24-2019, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Cancel it - it doesn’t matter where you have the money, you could put it under your mattress, and if the buyer claims they never got it, and you didn’t ship to the verified address, they will take the money back from you. Thats the bottom line. I won’t say it is a scam, but you couldn’t set it up to be one any better -

And you can’t out smart them - even if you document things so completely that they uphold your claim, the buyer can then claim it arrived damaged or not as described, and then you have a whole new problem -
Old 03-24-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drplayer View Post
You can call off the sale, but why not just reach out to the seller, express your concerns, and see what they have to say? Ask for a phone number and speak to them personally. If you still have a bad vibe after you do this, then bail...
Definitely don't do this! Although this sounds like the proper thing to do, it is bad advice. When selling on ebay or reverb do all communication through them. Every question or answer should be through their communication sections so there is a record of it that they can look at if a dispute arrises. Many well known scams happen because people take their communication off of ebay or reverb. I've sold over 12,000 things on ebay and reverb at this point and the one time I got scammed, it was because we were communicating outside of ebay. It was a lesson learned but an expensive one.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCROTTY View Post
These are good points I did not consider - they are correct. If the buyer claims they never received the guitar Paypal will likely side with them.

I agree with the advice to tighten the shipping - ensure the buyer understands you want a signature and express your concerns about the address or name being different from the one on the PayPal account. This is solid advice.
Signature required delivery DOES NOT solve the issue of "buyer never received item"...as sometimes the delivery person will just drop off the item and not bother to get the signature...that happens at times with all of the delivery agents USPS, UPS, FedEx.

Back out of this deal...and contact Paypal and tell them what is going on, as the buyer is NOT supposed to be doing this type of stuff.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polsher

Last edited by mcduffnw; 03-24-2019 at 10:39 AM. Reason: add content
Old 03-24-2019, 10:43 AM

I once had to face the same issue... and heard it could be a racket. I could trace a guy I though it could be. Anyway, I asked him to manage his own things so that his paypal address would match the shipping address : he did so. We concluded the transaction and everything went fine.

So, I would contact Paypal, make a refund with explanations to the alleged buyer and Paypal. An honest guy would then make things clear.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage View Post
Definitely don't do this! Although this sounds like the proper thing to do, it is bad advice. When selling on ebay or reverb do all communication through them. Every question or answer should be through their communication sections so there is a record of it that they can look at if a dispute arrises. Many well known scams happen because people take their communication off of ebay or reverb. I've sold over 12,000 things on ebay and reverb at this point and the one time I got scammed, it was because we were communicating outside of ebay. It was a lesson learned but an expensive one.
Well, your experience is different than mine. Maybe I’m old school, but nothing takes the place of a phone call and talking with someone one on one. I welcome the opportunity to speak with someone, have a little small talk, get a sense of their character, and assess how sincere they are about the sale. I’ve done this with many Reverb transactions, and it hasn’t come back to haunt me yet. In fact, on a large dollar sale, I’m not completely comfortable moving forward without doing this. I’ve asked for a phone number on a few occasions and the potential buyer wouldn’t provide one. THAT is a huge red flag to me, and I’ll pass on selling to that individual every time. But hey, that’s just me...

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 03-24-2019, 11:54 AM

It's a scam imo, cancel and refund asap.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89bruin View Post
Careful. Paypal can come back after the funds ... and will. Shipping to an unverified address is a known Paypal scam. The item is shipped and the “buyer” claims he never received it, Paypal sees it wasn’t shipped to a verified address and sides with the buyer. I’d be very careful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsstrider View Post
Can i just do a refund and call it off?
Sounds like the typical scam. Be careful refunding any money. Your good money will be received by the scammer and his bad payment could bounce and you will have paid the scammer for your own guitar.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
Signature required delivery DOES NOT solve the issue of "buyer never received item"...as sometimes the delivery person will just drop off the item and not bother to get the signature...that happens at times with all of the delivery agents USPS, UPS, FedEx.

Back out of this deal...and contact Paypal and tell them what is going on, as the buyer is NOT supposed to be doing this type of stuff.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polsher
Yes! I had a guitar shipped to me signature required. It snowed the night before and the driver cancelled delivery because he didn't want to drive down the dirt road to my house.

I called UPS and was able to arrange to meet the driver at a convenience store down the road after he finished his deliveries in this area. I saw the truck in the parking lot, asked the store owner if the UPS guy was there, the driver heard me and walked over from around the corner and said "are you picking up that package".

We walked out to the truck, he handed it to me, didn't want to see my ID and told me he'd already done the signature. I could have been ANY random person that saw the UPS truck in parked there and asked about it.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:57 PM

I don't think it's fair to cancel the sale until you have attempted to contact the buyer. As someone mentioned, insist on a phone call. You have the guitar so as long as you don't ship you have nothing to lose at this point.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion