The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-24-2019, 09:09 AM

For the Guitars I currently own:

In Person -- Martin Music, Memphis, TN; Artisan Guitars, Franklin, TN; Gruhn Guitars and Carter's Vintage, Nashville (I have a bouzouki from Corner Music, Nashville); Tonewood Guitars, Humboldt, TN; Circle Music, Memphis; Madison Music, Wisconsin; Wolfe Guitars when they had a Nashville location; the Gibson Factory in Memphis before it closed; and at the Memphis Acoustic Guitar Festival.

Internet -- Chicago Music Exchange; Carvin; Jazz Guitar Forum; AGF (even that was ultimately in person); Ebay; and direct from maker.

The only guitars I currently own that I didn't touch before I bought were my Malinoski Sonic; a CF Thornton Improv; Gibson ES330; and Godin Multiac.
'66 Gibson J-200, '55 J50, JB Model 1; Martin M-36; Micheletti Osprey Rigid Rim; Collings OM2H, GR Bear OM C; Emerald X10 Slimline; Gretsch HOF Country Gent & G6120CMHOF; Gibson ES-165; CP Thornton Improv; Veillette Flyer 14 & Lyric; Anderson Crowdster++ ....
Old 03-24-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
So ...where do/did your instruments come from?
I am always looking at guitars, out of interest, with not much intention of buying. I seldom go looking for any particular make or model. I go to local guitar stores, guitar shows and read ads on Craigslist, Reverb and Ebay. Over the years I have bought and sold about 30 guitars and have used all of these sources. When I see a guitar that is a little different or interesting I start thinking how I might be able to get that guitar. Sometimes I pay cash, sometimes I trade and a few times I've traded two-for-one both buying and selling. When you are creative in your financing there are endless possibilities.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:32 AM

From who or wherever has the guitar I want. Always either from an individual or store. Probably about 60/40 store/individual. Store for warranty. Individual for availability or price. For example, I recently purchased a guitar not available anywhere but from an individual seller. If it were available from a store new, I would have done that.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:17 PM

All but one from local guitar stores. That means I got to play them first. I bought one blind from a forum member, and that turned out to be a good acquisition too. Only store still in business that I got more than one guitar from is Mr. Music in Allston (a Boston suburb), Massachusetts.

Since most of the medium to large guitar stores in Boston are gone except for GC, this is a convenient time to put the cap on the g.a.s. can. There have been a few guitars I have been interested in playing, but they never "Please come to Boston" anymore.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 03-25-2019 at 05:24 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion