The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-21-2019, 10:51 AM

Default Exercise Bike for Home Use

My wife just indicated that an at home exercise bike might be a good thing for us.

We are healthy, but really busy, adults aged 62 and 58. I hate to say money is no object but I don’t object (see what I did there?) to spending a few bucks on a quality piece of equipment. I don’t need to spend a lot but if needed that’s ok.

Guessing I want some type of electronic monitoring of distance and time...space may be at a premium so I can’t go gigantic. Open to suggestions.

Looking for recommendations....Amazon has stuff as low as $149 and I’m sure I can spend ten times as much as that or more.

AGF has never failed me....
Old 03-21-2019, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

I'd check Craigslist and pick up a "used" Schwinn Airdyne that's been gathering dust in someone else's garage or basement....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 03-21-2019, 11:14 AM
Musical minimalist

Airdynes are decent and well built, but I've never been a fan of the excessive "breeze" it creates....it can really dry out your eyes etc. They are also relatively loud. Still, if you are looking to spend less than 300-400 used, one of the different Airdyne models may be a good bet.

Craigslist is definitely the place to look, as well as doing an Ebay 'distance - nearest first' search.

First question you'll want to answer is do you want a recumbent or upright bike? I would tell you to simply visit a store or local club and sit on a few and decide for yourself.

Next would be budget. You can find some great deals on commercial or light commercial machines locally if you are patient. Buying new will get you a lower quality bike out of the gate, but may be sufficient.

Cybex, Lifefitness, Precor, Star Trac are some of the best I've dealt with over the 30 plus years in the industry.

Not sure where you are in Central PA, but I'll take a quick look and see if I can find anything near that location.

Old 03-21-2019, 11:27 AM
Musical minimalist

I just did a quick look at Ebay (within 100 miles of State College) and Craigslist (similar) and really didn't find too much of value.

What I might do next is take a look at some of the companies that refurbish/remanufacture commercial quality machines and have something delivered. If you are thorough, you can get nice deals and reasonable shipping rates. I just got a 400 lb Cybex Arc trainer delivered from Texas to MI for under 300.00

Let me look around a bit more...

Old 03-21-2019, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Hi Slot,

Don't go real cheap. One repair can exceed the cost of a cheap bike.

We have had 2 Airdynes over the past 30 years. You can't go wrong if you want an upright bike, and I actually like the breeze. And your local bike shop can work on it if you have mechanical issues. My wife spends most of the time on it these days.

I am a fan of recumbent bikes in general (bad back), and have had 2 recumbent exercise bikes. The Nordic track was OK but I only got about 5 years out of it. Spent a little more on a Livestrong and it is going strong after 6 or 7 years. I spend about 90 to 120 minutes a week on it, year round.

Good luck!
Old 03-21-2019, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

I bought the below exercise bike to use at home to help rehab a ruptured achilles. It was super cheap but I've used it numerous times a week for over six months now and still works just fine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 03-21-2019, 11:48 AM

No different than which guitar to buy. There are exercise equipment stores. Go to them and demo different stationary bikes and see what you prefer. Some are upright, some are recumbent and the experience riding them will be very different.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:53 AM

My wife and I have been using this one for many years, not cheap but a great bike.

https://www.lemondfitness.com/produc...116/g-force-rt
Old 03-21-2019, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

I've had a Schwinn 270 Recumbent Bike for about 4-5 years, and it's great, especially for the price (paid about $400 via Amazon). Brands/models change, but I'm sure there are comparable ones in the same price range.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:04 PM

Consider a real bike on a trainer. That way you have a really healthy and fun option when the weather is great outside.

You do need quality stuff if you exercise as often as we should all be doing. The difference is not just lasting but the pleasure and results you'll get.

Even if you get an indoor bike make sure you know how many sorts of bikes are made these days. It's a wonderful activity.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:13 PM

We really like our airdyne as well. The fan gives a nice constant/smooth resistance for a particular speed and you can work out as hard or mild as you want.
We like the breeze, but that is an individual thing,
Old 03-21-2019, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
Consider a real bike on a trainer. That way you have a really healthy and fun option when the weather is great outside.
i'll make a suggestion along these lines, take it for what it's worth. I've started using an application called Zwift, which allows you to cycle in various virtual worlds with other cyclists. The great thing about this is that it takes much of the staggering boredom which comes with indoor training, and allows you to set goals, either by power or distance. There are several training plans as well as a la carte workouts, there are "group" rides in the virtual worlds, and even races (which I get are not your interest). It's pretty darn cool.

I found a TV with a mounting bracket for $40 on craigslist, and hooked it up to a 4th generation AppleTV and downloaded Zwift. I then paired Zwift to a "Smart Trainer" which is basically a wheel-on trainer with bluetooth. It measures cadence, power, and speed and transmits that to the Zwift experience. The nice thing is that any bike can be mounted on the trainer. Mine is a CycleOps M2, but there are many options. Here's my garage setup:

Now I realize this is a lot to take in and figure out, but the payoff is tremendous. I've been riding 4 nights a week since I got it and there's been none of the usual boredom and inevitable drop-off in my workouts which have historically been the case. I've never really been able to stand more than about 40 mins on the trainer while watching Netflix or some such thing.

Again, maybe this is all a bit much for a beginner, but throwing it out there for your consideration as well as others who view the thread. I'm a huge fan so far. I'm using it to train for a couple of races later this spring including the Escape from Alcatraz triathlon–I'm just doing the bike leg on a team. Some other sucker is doing the swim.

https://zwift.com/
Old 03-21-2019, 12:52 PM

If you buy one, hopefully it will be used. SWMBO went and bought some cross trainer contraption some years ago. Now its main function is to take up space in a bedroom. Sometimes some clothes are hung on it.

I suppose I'm lucky to live in a place where there's good places to go outdoors when I want some exercise.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 03-21-2019, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

After years of going back and forth with biking and running, I’ve learned that the best bang for your buck is a planet fitness type gym membership.

I have seen way more home exercise contraptions end up as a place to hang clothes from than being used for their intended purpose. Of course YMMV[emoji6].
Takamine F-451S 12 String (1977)
Old 03-21-2019, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
That's what I've been doing for a very long time. Wind trainers work great. I get to ride a good bike and it's my own. It might be a little more expensive because you have to buy two things... the bike and trainer. But it's well worth it!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic