The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-17-2019, 03:43 PM

Wink

So, just let me grab some pop corn
Old 03-17-2019, 04:01 PM

Popcorn ready yet?

Even in my neck of the woods in a normally mild climate, the recent lengthy period of freezing weather outside and dry indoor conditions has resulted in many sunken tops on Martin Standard series guitars at my local retailers. In one store they had their humidifier working but the reading on the machine indicated 29%. Really?

Considering the high production numbers and possibly high consumption of relatively green wood being used, these guitars need to be pumped up like balloons with 50% humidity or else it will be neck reset city for many of them, including shrinking bodies and separating binding.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:40 PM

One of my friends bought a new Martin John Renbourn model that was unplayable when he brought it home. A friend of his pulled the strings and added a REALLY tall saddle.

I didn't have the heart to tell him...
Old 03-17-2019, 04:51 PM
Guest 33123

I've owned dovetail Martins for 20 years. Never had a single issue. I've owned dovetail Gibsons for over 20 years. Never had an issue with them either.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawmow View Post
Purists argue for standard glued neck while Taylor patented neck is awesome !
* Taylor used to glue the fretboard on the top before 1996 but just bolted the neck since 1996. !
My 1996 412 has a bolt on neck but the finger board is still glued to the top.

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus
Old 03-17-2019, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John K View Post
So, just let me grab some pop corn
My thoughts exactly! I'll be checking back in on this thread...over the next few weeks....
Old 03-17-2019, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

In my experience most people with a bias towards bolt on necks are in an older demographic or simply have not played a high end hand built guitar with a Bolt on neck.

Bolt on necks were associated with cheap guitars but that just isn't the case anymore. There are some boutique builders that have mastered the art...

Bolt on necks (if done right) are fantastic and aren't going to kill tone and volume. I have a scalloped braced, full hide glue, adi/hog Martin dread and it sounds like a church mouse next to a certain boutique dread I picked up last month. Furthermore the boutique dread has a sitka top, modern adhesive, and 12's. o.O
Old 03-17-2019, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
There is great truth here. It brings to mind that other large acoustic forum, and what their reaction would be.
LOL, I'd like to be a fly on the wall for that conversation,

It probably matters little to the real musicians, its the "3 chords and a Martin" group that you have to watch,

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-17-2019, 06:25 PM

Seems to me that they could test the waters with a single model, and see what kind of feedback they get.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsoon1 View Post
Seems to me that they could test the waters with a single model, and see what kind of feedback they get.
My sentiments as well ... no downside as far as I can see ...
Old 03-17-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawmow View Post
*Taylor used to glue the fretboard on the top before 1996 but just bolted the neck since 1996.
Not quite. All production Taylors have always been bolt-on necks. The paper label on the head block covered the two bolts. In about 2000 when they introduced the NT neck system, they stopped gluing the fret board extension down because it sits in the neck pocket and has one hold-down bolt underneath.

The Baby Taylor and Big Baby have a variation where the neck bolts on as normal and the fret board extension is held down with screws visible on the upper frets. NT developed out of that configuration.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:00 PM

You listen to people on this forum who fetishize it and would view any deviation as an abrogation of Matin’s soul. It’s not clear to me that they would actually know the difference if tested, but the recieved wisdom is that the way they did it in the old country is right. Martin is boxed in by its heritage.

I say this as one who loves vintage Martins and loves a bunch of modern bolt on necks. I can’t say categorically that bolt or glue makes a better neck joint. But it seems that for so long as Martin is competing with its past, innovation would be anathema and they’ve got mouths to feed.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsoon1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
My sentiments as well ... no downside as far as I can see ...
But why...what is Martin’s incentive? They have been one of the most respected, recognizable, and top selling brands since...well...forever. Their brand is in part defined by a dovetail neck joint, and they have an extremely loyal following. They have apparently decided that warranty claims due to neck resets are a small price to pay to uphold their heritage. Imagine them changing the standard D-18 or D-28 to a bolt on. My guess is that those attracted to this would be overwhelmingly outnumbered by those who would be turned off.

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 03-17-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drplayer View Post
But why...what is Martin’s incentive? They have been one of the most respected, recognizable, and top selling brands since...well...forever. Their brand is in part defined by a dovetail neck joint, and they have an extremely loyal following. They have apparently decided that warranty claims due to neck resets are a small price to pay to uphold their heritage. Imagine them changing the standard D-18 or D-28 to a bolt on. My guess is that those attracted to this would be overwhelmingly outnumbered by those who would be turned off.

Well speaking for myself, if I was looking at say a dreadnought in the $4k range, and there was a Martin, and a similar guitar from another company but with a bolt on neck, i'd take the one with the bolt on neck every time.
The fact is that neck resets are expensive, and you're without your guitar for a period of time. Not to mention that it's a gradual performance loss as the neck gets worse and worse until the point in time when you take it in. But all of that can be avoided with a bolt on neck.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drplayer View Post

Have you considered Customer Service. Martin’s warranties (like every other Mfg.) only covers the original purchaser. Bolt on necks cost less than $100 to reset and can be done while you wait. A glue in neck costs about $450 and you will be without your guitar for quite some time.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer

Last edited by Kerbie; 03-18-2019 at 04:18 AM. Reason: Rule #1

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion