The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-12-2019, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

I have an Martin OM-28 2018 and it's a great guitar. I also recently picked up a Blueridge BR-163A which for the price is a really fantastic OM in a similar size. The Martin is "Daddy's" guitar but the Blueridge sounds great and is cheap enough that I don't fret when my daughter or nieces/nephews want to play it.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebrot View Post
Agree that new in that price range is possible and I know that's true with the OM-21 - which is a very, very similar guitar to the OM-28 but without some of the bling and one I would definitely consider.

I just found this site - which I love for Martin comparisons:

http://www.martinrep.com/specwizard.html

Dave

I use that website all the time...it's as handy as a pocket on a T shirt...
Old 03-12-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
Just curios....
How long have you been playing amd how much experience with Martins do you have

The reason I ask is many folks I know, including my self thought they wanted one sound only to discover that it was not the sound they thought they wanted, or they tried another brand and got hooked.
This comes after years of playing and developing a sense of what you really like

However if you know for sure that Martin is the sound you want then why look else were.

Happy hunting
Happened to me. When I decided a Martin rosewood OM was what I wanted, I kind of decided it would be an OM-28, the John Mayer model or an Eric Clapton 28. However, when I played each of them, to me it was very ...meh. In fact the only Martin OM I sort of liked was an OM21. Tried a Collings OM2H and knew that was the sound I was after and what I bought.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:38 PM

If I was going to lay down that kind of money, I would try a lot of different guitars first. If you have not done that yet, take a little more time before you make your decision. I too love the Martin tone but ended up with an Alvarez Masterworks.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:48 PM

I would go out and try and buy a Collings OM2H
Old 03-12-2019, 06:54 PM

Just last week i received my brand new Martin OM-28. And as i have already stated (in another thread)- it is the best sounding guitar i have ever heard or played. It just rings!!! The craftsmanship is incredible, flawless, and it ought to be for $3k. Thanks Sweetwater, no interest for three yrs. Done!

I just cant get over the loud volume and tone, which sustains forever. I have owned many Taylors and such. This is my first Martin. Oh the wasted years. Not really, but you know what i mean.

The 000-28 has a slightly shorter scale and a larger pick guard. I like the smaller retro pick guard on the OM. If you buy the OM, you will be very pleased. Get it brand new if you can. The shape is perfect, not all weird and big. Just right and comfortable.

Last edited by Arch Stanton; 03-13-2019 at 06:31 AM.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highvibrational View Post
Hello,
I love the deep Martin tone and am about ready to plunk down for an OM-28. But, before I do so, I would like to know of any other brands and models that I that might surprise me and maybe even change my mind. I know nothing of Eastman or Larrivee. Any ideas? Thank you.
Santa Cruz, Collings, Martin OM-21...

Play all you can! Good luck.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:19 PM

Right, play all you can. If you already have experience with shapes and different tone woods- then you just need to pick the right brand. I dont like electronics or cutaways or thin 1 11/16 nut widths. And i wanted a spruce top and indian rosewood back and sides and i wanted a standard auditorium shape. The OM 28 fit the bill perfectly.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

When I just purchased my latest wood guitar a few months ago, a Martin OMC-18e made my short list. I haven't tried a 28 so I can't exactly say how they compare.

I really liked the 18 but the other one on my short list was a Breedlove Concert Copper. I had both home and trialed them for a good period and I ended up liking the Breedlove better and it was considerably less money. The Breedlove had a lot of similarities to the 18 but more overtones and richness which may be due to the similar rosewood / Sitka construction to the 28.

I was good with purchasing either one so my decision wasn't that the Breedlove was one I liked better given the price but rather that I liked the Breedlove better period.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

If you're lucky, you'll find an OM-28 Marquis at the upper end of your price range.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
You will find a lot of folks large and small build OM's and for me it is the most versatile guitar going. I went from a Martin OM-21 to OM-28 to OM28V to OM-42. But it really isn't about the maker, it is about the guitar. Some of the OM-42's I played before I bought one were not in the same league as the winner. Small builder, Martin, Collins, you should just keep trying them out. Hard to beat a good Martin though. Not hard to beat a bad one...
I agree with all that has been said. I would add though, at least with respect to Collings' OM28 equivalent (OM2H), that Collings guitars are remarkably consistent in tonal quality. The others, being also relatively small shop guitars, may be similarly reliable. I speak in comparison to Martins, which I've played and owned extensively over the years. There it is indeed important that you try the specific guitar, and compare it to other Martins. I've owned, for various reasons, several Collings OM2Hs, and the very similar OOO2H, and they are remarkably consistent.
Huss&Dalton 000 M/Adi (2020)
Martin Custom Shop D28/45 SnkrMahog/Adi (2019)
Santa Cruz 1929 00 (2014)
Bourgeois O Custom Adi (2010)
Froggy Bottom Model K Deluxe (2001)
Appalachian Resonator (2013)
J.E. Dallas Banjo (c.1900-1905)
Gibson A-50 Mandolin (1943)
Old 03-12-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
Just last week i received my brand new Martin OM-28. And as i have already stated (in another thread)- it is the best sounding guitar i have ever heard or played. It just rings!!! The craftsmanship is incredible, flawless, and it outta be for $3k. Thanks Sweetwater, no interest for three yrs. Done!

I just cant get over the loud volume and tone, which sustains forever. I have owned many Taylors and such. This is my first Martin. Oh the wasted years. Not really, but you know what i mean.

The 000-28 has a slightly shorter scale and a larger pick guard. I like the smaller retro pick guard on the OM. If you buy the OM, you will be very pleased. Get it brand new if you can. The shape is perfect, not all weird and big. Just right and comfortable.
Hmmm; the Standard OM-28 has an MSRP of $3800. Buying from a forum sponsor should get you to 60% (40% off) or $2280.

Martin Custom Authentic 000-28 1937

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 03-12-2019, 09:37 PM

No. Nothing else is a Martin. However, your question about does anything compete? Yes. The 000-18 is unmatched. It may not (or may be) a sound that you find you love. Give a couple a try. I've bought Collings OM's, Larrivee OM's, Bourgeois OM's... Taylor GC's, GA's... some of them are great and some still hang out here - but nothing is an OM-28. Try a couple of 000-28's as well. You'll know when you've found the one.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJNies View Post
Hmmm; the Standard OM-28 has an MSRP of $3800. Buying from a forum sponsor should get you to 60% (40% off) or $2280.
Sorry, very doubtful you can buy a new OM-28 at $2280.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifivic View Post
Sorry, very doubtful you can buy a new OM-28 at $2280.
I think you would be surprised by the deals that can be had from Forum sponsors. The down side is you do not get to play befor buying (unless you live in proximity to a sponsor). But a return is always an option, if you add the cost of shipping.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion